Sign in to follow this  
BidRado

Wood Dash

Am thinking of doing a wood dash, perhaps with matching other interior trim surrounds on handles, switches etc. Latter may be OTT? Likely part-leather/suede/alcantara trim too? Emulating some of the better Brit-car interiors...(heresy?!)

Does anyone know of a good veneer kit for doing this and any good examples out there - any pics? Quite open on type of wood , with/w/o staining. Have heard of some naff sounding stick-on kits which I'd avoid - would like to do a decent job of it so it sits in well! Has anyone had a pattern made for the C (I saww the thread on carbon dash ideas) - might need to then source splinter-proof veneer.

I currently have a completely standard grey cloth and plastic dash interior in an Aqua Blue Pearl 16v, '92 K - all vgc. So blank canvas at the minute.

Idea, views?

all I am gonna say is... Rover..... ;)

dont think i have seen wood in a rado... cant offer any advice, just good luck!!! :)

wood is just rank unless its roller etc. my a4 had wood was awful! the a6 has carbon its only a bit better! gareth has a bora daily drive with wood (scruufydubber) and i know he cant wait to get rid of it!

I'd agree though in that it's certainly not suitable in a Corrado.

Good luck but i'm not digging it myself...

Rover.....

Yeh that pretty much sums it up...

What about a wooden bonnet as well? :) Or even wheels? I suppose the ride might be a bit hard, but it would look great! ;)

Sorry to be rude mate, but is this post a wind-up or are you really going to trim the interior in wood?

In a Rado? I'm no designer, but I'm thinking that may look a little odd? What about some nice brass switches and buttons to round off the look?

No offence meant mate :) :) :)

that german museum c had wood in it.. cant be bothered to find the thread now though :lol:

i strongly disagree.. but if you want to do it, and you can pull it off, then good luck to you!

Bit of a challenge then, get it done in wood and done in wood well and prove everyone wrong!!

The dash def needs some detailing. Is your's a late dash or early? Mine's an early and I'm trying to update it to give a more modern look to it...

Well, I knew this would provoke a response - glad to see there's a few open minds out there! Am still undecided and it's not a wind-up. Just surprised to be breaking virtually new ground - realise v.few, if any, German cars have ever done wood well - inc. any around currently - Merc, Maybach inc.

Rover - give over! How limited an approach would that be!! Let's get those creative juices flowing..!

Am inclined towards a stained wood if poss, either black or a dark blue to link with the body colour. Don't know any sources though.

Ref. 33Hz - early I think - slider heater controls. I can tell you're tempted - how about a 2-person group buy?

Ref. Zippy - back of a Rado! - nice idea, are you related to Houdini? - that can't be your photo..

Keep it coming folks (except Zippy..).

Mate my mind is open..... to anything other than wood on the inside of ANY car, let alone a Rado!!!

Leave ya poor car alone ;)

when you say wood, admitedly the first response is noooooooo!

But,

I could see the use of a stained wood in black, that could look quite good if you went for wood with good wide grain to it.

See attached

Ref. 33Hz - early I think - slider heater controls. I can tell you're tempted - how about a 2-person group buy?

Hmmm, very tempting... But alas no...

Should be going to round heater controls this weekend and not the sliders... Then its the W8 interior light, switches from a porsche and dash from a Mclaren F1

(ok, maybe I lied about the last two...)

seen quite a few wood dashes in catalogues of new Jags etc for new job) and the black and blue stain can cool very nice, but thats in a Jag, dunno if it will suit a C

that can't be your photo...

Sadly it is! :lol:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Aint sayin nowt! You dont want to know anyways. :oops:

Hmm, thanks chaps; I need to do some more research to resolve the way forward - would have preferred to see 1-2 installs on C's. A blue-stained look still appeals - to match with a part-leather re-trim. Will look at some Jag/TVR catalogues (if it's good enough for them..).

Other priorities first though: lowered suspension; re-line the bonnet; top strut brace; sort roof channels or de-seam (?).

Anyone tried a Cali-surf Woody look - a nice stick-on wood frame round the hatch?! (OK now I am winding...!)