Sign in to follow this  
grimmy

Buying a corrado

Hi all, i'm new to corrado's and am looking to buy one in the next few weeks. I'm planing to get either a 1.8 or 2.0 16v to see how i get on with the car, and maybe later move onto a g60 or vr6.

My main question is, i understand the 1.8 is quicker up to 60 and has more bhp, but the 2.0 has more torque so may be easier to drive. I have found what look to be reasonable examples of both and wondering which would be the most fun assuming they're both in good condition.

Any help appreciated

I'm getting rather excited as i've always wanted one of these :)

how do m8,welcome to ye old forum :D

The 1.8/2.0 produce the same power,and the 2.0 has slightly more torque.

if you were after one that you were gonna keep for a little bit then move on id go for the 2.0,they are later cars and benefit from later bumpers/bonnets/grills/all front lights...although there are people who prefer the early look.

if you want one to gain experience modding/messing with then id go with the 1.8,and throw the 2.0 lump in it minus the cat :wink: :) can be good for around 170 brake at the flywheel with a few tweeks.

neil.

Welcome to the forum.

Make sure you check out the CF Buying Guide.

I'd go for the 2.0litre personally.

Also make sure you do a search as this has been discussed at length in the past....

Hmm ok it seems the advice is go for the 2.0. Theres one i'm planning to go and look at on Saturday, which is cheaper than a similar aged 1.8 with more miles on the clock.

The only thing that worries me with the 2.0 is it has abs which is in my mind just something waiting to go wrong... and the 1.8 does have a quicker 0-60 which i'm sure could be quite good fun. Also the 1.8 i've seen has had one owner, garaged all its life and has very clean leather interior. Which i must say does appeal to me. Being fickle though, i'll probably just buy the 2.0 at the weekend if its a nice clean example.

Any more advice is much appreciated, and i've read through the checklist which has plenty to look out for.

P.s. I did try and search but couldn't find anything on the subject, if anyone has better luck please link me.

Put a 2.0 and 1800 side by side at the lights and I doubt there would be much in it. 0-60 is not a good measure of how fast a car really is in the real world.

As stated already, some very simple and cheap mods will take the 2.0 up to 165-170ish hp. The 2.0 left the factory in a very mild state of tune, which is strange given the Golf 2.0 16V came with 150hp, albeit with a different block.

You'd think they'd give the 'Sports' Coupe the more powerful engine over the shopping car.

ABS rarely causes problems if well maintained.

Early 1.8's do have less to go wrong, most have no ABS and no cat either. However, you wil be hard pressed to find a good one and 1.8 does have no real pull below 4k.

I think Vince can do a mod to the WUR (warm up regulator) on the 1.8 that should give a healthy power boost up to around 150bhp. Due to the performance similarities between the 2 power plants it will really come down to do you prefer the early or late style and what condition the cars you look at is.

Agreed with Kev. There isnt much between them. If you want to notice a difference then you want to get a G60 or VR6.

I get the feeling you're on a limited budget and cannot afford a VR6; because it would make most sense in the long run to by a VR6 straight off first time; that way you get to know the car and you get to appreciate your mods etc.

I've got the 2.0 and happy with it. But if you can find a 91 year 1.8 with better interior etc for similar money, I know what I'd buy. However I got a 94 2.0l and so there would be no contest unless your 1.8 was a local commuter with silly low miles.

As for insurance I think the 2.0 is still group 17. Mine worked out at an increase from 500 upto 800 when I switched to the Corrado. The renewal 2 months later was £600, then this year £400. Im hoping for under 300 this time round. For a 1.7k car I'd consider 3PFT

I'm not going to consider a vr6 yet, i appreciate they are the dogs dangleys and nothing would compare to them but i'm just turned 21, with 2 years no claims :( Upgrading from a polo gt to a corrado will be shock enough.

My budget is absolute tops of about 2k, but would rather spenda bout 1700 and look at modifying it a little bit. I've found very little on auto trader and the forums for sale. There are a couple i'm interested in on autotrader but they're all quite a long trek just to go and look at one.

It all hinges on when i can sell my car too, my insurance is due for renewal on the 12th of May and ideally have to sell mine before then or have to take out insurance on it again.

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24939 incase anyone wants a great condition polo gt :p

meh, its all really down to the individual car - a good condition model with a history etc will always be better than something that needs fixed up, regardless of engine size.... but i'd go for the 2ltr, I prefer them with a bit of torque, plus you can stick the KR cam in it and for very little money you'll be pushing 160bhp.... (if u use the search you'll find loads of threads on the KR cam mod).

theres not much difference in insurance prices between the valvers and the VR's so dont expect to save yourself much for going for a valver, especially if you modify it!!!

oh, welcome by the way!!! :)

Welcome to the forum mate.

Check this out if you haven't already and good luck:

http://www.the-corrado.net/wiki/index.p ... _Checklist

Just make sure that the ABS comes on after turning on the ignition, flashes and goes out, if it doesn't come on at all it could be a bulb or someone may have disconnected the ABS warning light, maybe trouble on the horizon.

Depending on where it is you can either go to Corrado Pre-Viewing or let me know and I will see if I can help you

Hey up grimmy, I was in the same situation as you, wanted a C, had a car to sell and insurance coming up. I bought the C and tidied it up whilst insurance on old car ran out.

I bought a 1.8, I don't know much about the 2.0, but insurance was loads more for a G60, and I didn't even bother getting a quote for a VR6. G60 was about £1200 to insure I'm 22 with 4 years NCB, 16v is £550.

I'd look for one with a decent Cat 1 alarm already fitted to keep insurance down if your on a budget, plus with 1.8's you can easily pic up a cheap mk2 16v gti if anything goes bad.

I have had a 1.8 16v, 2.0 16v and G60, I wouldn't really go back to a 1.8 16v unless I was in a real big rush and it was mint, keep looking for the 2.0 16v mate, back me up Scarlett and GradeAFailure :0)

Hey up grimmy, I was in the same situation as you, wanted a C, had a car to sell and insurance coming up. I bought the C and tidied it up whilst insurance on old car ran out.

I bought a 1.8, I don't know much about the 2.0, but insurance was loads more for a G60, and I didn't even bother getting a quote for a VR6. G60 was about £1200 to insure I'm 22 with 4 years NCB, 16v is £550.

I'd look for one with a decent Cat 1 alarm already fitted to keep insurance down if your on a budget, plus with 1.8's you can easily pic up a cheap mk2 16v gti if anything goes bad.

Dunno if its just me but i'm 21 with 1 year ncb and getting quotes like £800 for a vr6 and £900 for a g60.

Dunno if its just me but i'm 21 with 1 year ncb and getting quotes like £800 for a vr6 and £900 for a g60.

Insurance depends on area, so it'll be more expensive in a city than in the middle of nowhere. I'm moving to where you live!!

Shop around and reduce your mileage and cut down on the mods for a while, difficult with a G60 I know, lol

Adrian Flux I am with, 36, 3 years NCB, one accident in 2003, Fully Comp £530

Adrian Flux I am with, 36, 3 years NCB, one accident in 2003, Fully Comp £530

I pay less than that for mine, and I'm 3 years younger :-)

Premiums don't fall dramatically until you hit 25 unfortunately.

my premium didn't change dramatically when i hit 25, but the excesses came down lots, got a 1.8 16v, about £340 i think protected NCD, full NCD, live in a quiet area.

I'm paying just over a grand on my VR and i'm 21 with only 2 years no claims, which I think aint bad considering some companies were charging over 3 grand.

like i say i'm 21 wit 2 years ncb, and got quoted 800 for 1.8, 880 for 2.0, and 900ish for g60. Haven't tried a vr6 as i'm not looking to get one till next year.

Someone buy my car so i can get a corrado :D

I pay more than that for mine and i'm 23 with 2ync.... :x

Yeah, but Trig lives in an area with one of the lowest crime ratees in the UK , my insurance went down quite dramaticaly when I moved down to Cornwall.

There's genuinely no pattern whatsoever to insurance, the only consistant thing aout it is that it's always a rip off.