Sign in to follow this  
mbaker8v

Roof Trim

After my car has been parked up for the winter the sides of the trim strips on the roof have started to disintegrate. Anyone know where i can get new strips and how much the supplier is going to rip me off for them?

Thanks,

Mark

GPC sell them and they're £70 a pair :shock:

Or you can just get a knife out and cut the rubber bits off...

if you cut them off don't you end up with a hole/recess? Or were you just talking talking about tidying the edges?

The roof trim, and trim around the sunroof have turned a nice green colour after the year off the round my C had.

I need to replace/remove them, but looking at it (and hearing on hear) you can't just remove the roof trim can you? I'm not paying 70 notes though.

Just remove the rubber crap, I did and it looks good ;)

but I thought they were set in a recess, and you'd have to fill and paint it afterwards?

I am sure I have seen pics on here of the groove left after removing them?

['H3R4POR]
Just remove the rubber crap' date=' I did and it looks good ;)[/quote']

but I thought they were set in a recess, and you'd have to fill and paint it afterwards?

I am sure I have seen pics on here of the groove left after removing them?[/quote:5e138]

no, just carefully trim the perished rubber edge off with a new stanley blade, the remaining trim will have a gap between it and the roof but it doesn't look obvious and doesn't trap any more water than when the trim was whole. The best solution is a new trim set in sealant so no water can gather in the channel.

The channel is just a rain gutter and the trim covers it - it's not waterproofing and just hides the ugly channel and spot welds.

Only the edging of the trim strips perishes and flakes off - you can safely cut the edging off and leave it with no ill-effects.

my whole trim is looking a little 'weathered', I think I'll just leave it, and get it filled and painted when I get around to (save up for) a respray.

What about the furry trim around the sunroof, can you recommend anything to clean/tidy that up? I spose they are a small fortune from a stealer too?

sorry for hijacking the thread mbaker8v, but this is related ;)

My sunroof seal was a bit green, I gave it a good scrub with a toothbrush when I washed it and the green crap came away. Worth a go. I think new seals are about £45.

I hae a whole Aqua Blue sunroof assembly that I want shot of - £30 but you gotta come get it.

Doesn't work mind you... :lol:

I dont like roof trim with the edge cut off... dosnt look quite right. Will be ordering new trim from the dealer soon along with all new side trims.. I got a quote, and all 6 pieces of side trim were £180 andf the roof trim was 40 odd quid each....

I may have to mug some old ladies for their pensions.

It'll be worth it. New trim will look great :thumbleft:

I dont like roof trim with the edge cut off... dosnt look quite right. Will be ordering new trim from the dealer soon along with all new side trims.. I got a quote, and all 6 pieces of side trim were £180 andf the roof trim was 40 odd quid each....

Don't buy the side trim new, everyone seems to be removing theirs :)

I fitted some new roof trims approx 2 years ago and the edges are starting to peel up already!! Be warned.

They're just a cack bit of design.

I've been looking at modern Audis etc that have gutter covers that sit more inside it than on top of it, so I'll investigate that option when the current ones are due for replacement - again!

I fitted some new roof trims approx 2 years ago and the edges are starting to peel up already!! Be warned.

I've been looking at modern Audis etc that have gutter covers that sit more inside it than on top of it, so I'll investigate that option when the current ones are due for replacement - again!

Still on my 16 year old roof trims and they are just starting to get a bit manky on the edges. Best way to go is get it all smoothed, easier to polish the car that way.

Right that's it then, i'm cutting of the skanky cracked gutter stuff this weekend...

I remember you posting on here when you bought them kev, oh you were much a happy little boy :-p

I'm also planning on removing my side trim ASAP (maybe at the weekend), I am just worried about any residue it may leave, Kev, you've done it, how did it go?

Yeah they look fab when freshly fitted but the edges don't last long!

I did remove the side strips but I put them back (after painting them) as I didn't like the way some of the panel gaps looked a bit iffy afterwards.....plus they are actually useful as my door always hits things!

did you have any probs with glue (whatever) being left behind?

I have been meaning to remove them for ages, but never got round to it (since I was away for a year), seeing as the evenings are lighter I figure it could be a mission for next week, I just don't wanna remove them and have sticky lines down the sides...

What about the furry trim around the sunroof, can you recommend anything to clean/tidy that up? I spose they are a small fortune from a stealer too?

I recently replaced the sunroof trim, as what happens over time is that the thing soaks up humidity (if the C's left outside, like I did up till recently), the metal insert starts to somehow expand, and as a result the thing simply starts to slide off (and it looks green all round, of course) and fall off along the straight edges, causing the sunrtoof to jam when sliding.

So, I followed the procedure in the Bentley to get the sunroof panel out, took the old seal off, and stuck a brand-new VW unit (yes, was around the £45 mark, but looks darn good when new, and fits even better) back on, and voila no more sunroof jams when sliding :-)

To get the panel out: Tilt the sunroof, then holding down the inner liner (plastic frame), hit the liner with your fist or whatever to the rear of the car, until it nudges out on both sides (it's literally just held in place with spring-clips). You can now access the 2 torx-screws on both sides, which hold the panel to the slide/tilt mechanism. Undo these screws, and take the panel out, then remove the old and tired weatherstrip, fit new one, and installation is reverse of removal :lol:

It is really simple :-)

Tempest

tried to have a go at removing the side trim this morning.

I went for a smaller peice, just incase it went tits up.

the trim came off relatively easily, but left a thick coat of mastic stuff, which has proofed to be a nightmare to get off, I am dealing with a foot long section, I have removed 90% of it, but its taken me well over an hour, and the smaller odds and sods are a b*stard to get off.

any tips?

Dave

ps, My side has been resprayed at some point, I am wondering if its just this bit that is held on with this sealant?

I trimmed the cracked rubber stuff off the roof trim earlier. Stanley knife did the trick. Looks a lot tidier on top now but a bit weird. I'll probably get used to it.

I had a look at that, trouble is its cracks quite a away, so if I trim it back then it will expose the gutter, which I ain't gonna do

My gutter is now exposed... :oops:

Looks OK though, you notice it a lot less than cracked brittle rubber!