Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Halfords Second hand gear!!

Well a year ago i bought a head unit and it had obviously been used

and the face was scratched. Very appologetic, but we went through 3 boxes to find a new one!!

Well its just happened again. Got it home and guess what, scratch face, bent cage tabs, no instructions and empty plastic baggs inside and 2 of the 4 tabs broken off the surround, and we are not talking a £100 item either.

What a bunch of utter cowboys :mad: :p :evil: :x :x

You've been warned, open it up in store!!

This was from 2 different stores too!!

Were they in some sort of sale or were they at the usual prices?

tbh I'd never buy stereo kit from Halfords due to their high prices - compared with online stores!

Mine was cheapest at Halfrauds than anywhere else when i got it.

That sucks though - surely its not 'new' if bits are missing etc. That should be sold as a 'manager's special' or somesuch.

Halfords do sell ex-display stock, but at a reduced price. I've bought ex-display speakers before, you do have to ask though. I can't imagine your head unit being ex-display though as surely one was already on display for you to know the had it?? :scratch:

I don't think i'd ever buy that sort of kit from Halfrauds tbh!!

Depends what you get I suppose, I only got some JBL GTO 6" x 4"s for the shelf supports, fair enough they're used, but whenever I've been in Halfords the radio's been set to play through the biggest sub on the display wall - boy racer style. I doubt the speakers I got had received much abuse - and there's nothing wrong with having a budget! :wink:

i'd buy speakers from there, or even head units, if the price was right.

its worth a little extra for the convience of being able to take it back etc.

tbh I would always research what I was buying, and wouldn't rely on what some spod in the shop says (as they are always wrong). But thats the same as I would do online, so there isn't a difference really. A Sony xxx headunit is going to be the same product no matter where you bought it from.

I wouldn't avoid Halfords for the sake of it, if I could get something there for a similar price then it is definately worth it in convience, plus you save on P&P (although alot of places have that for free online nowadays).

Getting something that is obviously used would also give me a chance to get my angry hat on and have a shout, and pick up a discount, as I know I would if I bought something like you have which is obviously second hand (see avatar pic ;)).

I need to buy some 6x9s soon, so may go in for a fight then :D

a couple of months ago i managed to get a pioneer dvd nav drive to match the screen in my car which are still selling new for £899 on the net, but because it was on an old stock code they get discounted at each stock check, the chester store got it transfered from ipswich and when it arrived at chester i was expecting it to have bits missing or be damaged, but it was mint condition still with the pioneer factory seal 8) then the guy on the counter checked the stock code again and said it had been reduced again since they got it transferred and it was now £150 :lol: i have never handed money over so quickly before in my life.

its worth going into halfords and asking them what stuff they have on their old stock lists, and ask them to do a nationwide search, when he checked for me there where loads of alpine, blaupunkt and pioneer av products at rediculously low prices, you might just have to wait a while if they have to transfer the stock.

rofl @ 150 quid :D

I've had that before, and you get the cash out to hand over a wedge and they give you a price thats a tine percentage what you expected, just shove the money in their hands and run :D

i've bought 3 top end head units from halfords in the past (sale items) as they were significantly cheaper than competitors even on the net, and the fact that if there was a problem i could just walk back in (and beat the shop assistant with it if necessary!) was reassuring....

i'd say you definately need to be aware you'd probably dealing with 'gaz' the town boyracer - check the nova's in the car park...., but considering this there are still good deals to be had if you shop around.

It was a new item, they have s epereate case locked with all the reduced gear in. TBH i usually buy direct and have used the link mentioned above, but occasionally Halfords come up trumps.

This is a full on 7inch widescreen motorised pioneer unit labelled up as Ripspeed, but in actually fact its a pioneer 5700 dvd unit, which are 550-599 cheapest mail order. This is well under £400, so you cant touch it bar jap imports or the JVC avix i had before, which in the end has nearly paid for the new one lol. (Didnt sell it on here, to a mad mate with too much money in the end!)

Anyway, this was a new product and i went back with it today, guys was gobsmacked and really embaressed. Picking up a "new" one tommorrow fingers crossed!

You tart, you don't need a screen, just buy my old 9835R :-)

This is not helping with the charger fund mate :-)

You tart, you don't need a screen, just buy my old 9835R :-)

This is not helping with the charger fund mate :-)

Oi - I've got dibs on that :lol:

Nıck you know Kev an JT are rıght take yourself outsıde you tart and have a word wıth yourself!

Charger fund ıs paramount except for Guınness fund.

Heh bugger the charger fund Nick, you need to fund the smokey head rebuild and chains first!!

You are a magpie, 'Oh but it's sooo shiney!!' :wink

Coolrado, i had a similar experience last month, i have the Alpine flip out head unit and sat nav drive the nav drive is a few years old now and so is the disk so i found that there was a current N099P top of the range DVD sat-nav drive there which is currently £1400 and they wanted £599 but i walked away with it for £250 and got a second free!

Chris