Sign in to follow this  
Jim

WTF - rain stained my paintwork!

Well pic attached.. being bright red it doesn't really let you see what I mean but..

Left my car the other day - it rained a bit then the sun came out and the water didn't evaporate and sort of sat on the bonnet all day. Come hometime I noticed that there were white blotches all over the bonnet but I wasn't worried as I just thought it was mineral deposits and it'd come off at the next wash..... maybe not! Washed the car, had a bash with some zymol, had another bash with some Autoglym polish - they are showing no signs of going away!

What the hell can I do to get rid of the blotches? They are all over my bonnet!

Cheers :)

Hm.. paint has already been t-cutted not all that long ago (about a month) - is it safe to do it again?!

Would some meguiars scratchx achieve the same thing? I have some of that in the garage already...

Hmmm bad luck Jim, looks like the dreaded VW red paint fade syndrome which affected the old Tornado red too. As already said not much you can do apart from the occasional T cut or failing that, a respray :(

Hm.. paint has already been t-cutted not all that long ago (about a month) - is it safe to do it again?!

yeah, not a problem at all.

Yeah.. might ask 2cc nicely next time I take my car to a show or something if I can just give the bonnet the once over with that stuff - has to be worth a try!

To be honest we've had some really mixed weather over the last month or so - blasting rain, and scorching heat and this is the first time anything has happened...

Safe cut is pretty good- comes in a yellow bottle from Halfords.

Agree withardandy, prob acid rain :?

have you given it a good does of the zymol cleanser ? (chocolate sauce as I call it)

I use the blue Zymol stuff from Halfords that smells like coconut, etc.. does a fairly good job normally! Went over the car about 3 weeks ago with that stuff....

nah, that's not the pukka stuff. get some HD cleanse (brown stuff, smells like chocolate). in fact, get the starter kit, and some of the clay bar (or the swissol equivalent) and cut back all the impurities in the paint, then build the wax back up with the proper carnauba wax (they'll tell you which is the best for your paint colour). you will be stunned at the different of a TRUE cleaning system.

I bet the Meguairs Scratch X will have a good go at it. That stuff is amazing.

Gotta go for the cheapest option here so the ScratchX has to be worth a shot first.. i'm brassic atm! Got a laundry list of stuff I wanna sort at Stealth before I go to Germany.. then there is the actual cost of going to Germany... etc etc!!

TFR then clay bar it if needed and then wax it properly and it will be all good

lucky you dont have a black car :lol:

wash the car, then use 50/50 [i think!] vinegar/water on a soft cloth over the whole area. then wash again and polish then wax.

Hmmm.

My mother had a brand new Honda Civic a couple of years back, after washing it where the blobs of water sat on the rear hatch, they "stained" blobs into the paint for about a day.

Very bizarre, seems the laquer was permeable for some reason and the only colution was for Honda to respray the hatch under warranty.

Do your blobs go away after a day or so?

i didnt think flat reds were lacquerd, hence the problem?? ie thats why they fade and thats why t-cut works?

anyway, once you've sorted the blobs Jim, go for a decent wax pot from zymol or swissol mate, about £30. I know its expensive but it won't happen with a layer or proper wax on there.

Basically exactly what Phat said. tiz very different from the £10 stuff halfrods do. Meguires carnuba is the closest youll get from them.

I think I will have to invest in a pot of the good stuff.. seems like its the only way.

Interesting point about the lacquer.. I thought the only colour Corrado to not get lacquer was the white ones? I was told that this later style red (Flash Red) also wasn't subject to fade in the same way that Tornado Pink was but that most definately isnt the case.. with this bright sunshine we've had, i'm noticing some panels starting to go but a quick top up with some good polish or wax immediately brings a nice glossy red back to it... hopefully as you say Nick, a good dose of good quality Swissol or similar should have it looking (and staying) nice and red! :)

Can get a tub of Swissol Onyx off the 'bay for £39... looks like a good place to start. Anyone else have any other reccomendations before I consider this stuff..?

jeez jim, what's with the rain up your way...?! never happened here - maybe us southerners only have "soft" rain... ;) hope you get it sorted though mate!

is it the original paint on the bonnet?

i know when the bonnet on my old mr2 was re-sprayed the cowboys used cellulose and it used to stain if water was left on it for any length of time, it was almost as if the paint was absorbing the moisture and you could actually feel the spots where it was stained. it stopped doing it after about 6 months though.

try not to use t-cut though it contains quite a lot of amonia and will actually make the paint fade faster (it certainly did on my dads volvo) feed the paint with a good wax rather than rubbing layers of it off, cutting compound should only be used for severely faded paint, fresh resprays or removing scratches and swirls.

Once I get a Paypal refund i'm owed, i'll definately be going for a decent tub of wax.

Not sure whats in the rain Dave but it is fairly industrial around here with factories for Jaguar and Peugeot no more than 10 miles away! I'm sure it'll be sorted soon enough :)