Jim Bowen

Jim Bowen Corrado VR6 - New engine build

Thanks. I have been thinking if my corrado does get eaten by rust I can always keep the engine for another one in the future.

My first blunder in VR6 land was not checking the intermediate sprocket when I fitted some cams. It ran like cr@p afterwards :lol:

It took me a while to get my head around the Mr intermediate as well.

It's easy to check. Using a telescopic dental mirror and a torch, you can see the intermediate timing marks after taking the rocker cover off.

Fitted the timing and cam cover(had all these aqua blasted, pretty pleased with the results.

20141009_111619.jpg

20141009_111629.jpg

Fitted the Gruvenparts fuel hose clips

20141009_111644.jpg

Had to fit a 19mm core plug into the head, as its a US spec head and has this hole for the secondary air intake.

20141009_113920.jpg

Then fitted the flywheel, Used new bolts this time!

20141009_113930.jpg

My crank locking device :lol: works well.

20141009_114007.jpg

Few more bits done, although most bits just trail fitted before i fit them properly. Have worked out all the hose clip sizes as well, i will make a new thread for them.

Fitted the gruvenparts crack pipe, clean the hole of any corrosion, no problem here :lol:

20141010_185857.jpg

Just chucking the parts on now really.

20141010_190246.jpg

20141010_190311.jpg

20141010_190339.jpg

Looks great :)

Have you considered a lightened flywheel?

I did do, but decided to stick to the original instead, is there much benefit? If I did buy one now do I need to get it balanced or anything like that?

I did do, but decided to stick to the original instead, is there much benefit? If I did buy one now do I need to get it balanced or anything like that?

I've got one on the shelf ready for when I swap engines over, done by hotgolf on CGTI (I just put a wanted ad on there), I think its 3KG lighter, but the weight is removed from the outer edges of the wheel where it has most effect. It should rev quicker, the downside is it should be a little lumpier and easier to stall - not a big deal for low mileage use

I noticed bugger all difference when I fitted a 9lb cromoly flywheel (half stock weight), and I had the shorter 3.68 final drive. I think it's one of those parts people rave about but the reality is they offer very little to the driving experience.

Great stuff going on here . This will hopefully be next years winter project . First I have to dismantle my tin pot shed and build a man shed though .

Does anyone know about running in oil, heard it mentioned elsewhere and not sure if i need it or not, i had planned to just use the fuchs titan oil i normally use and then change it after a few hundred miles.

Don't need it. Just use regular quantum silver for the first 100 miles, drain it. Refill with the same stuff and use that for the next 3000. Then just put what you normally use in.

The reason for the first drain interval is because the first 100 miles or so produces a lot of swarf from piston rings, edges taken off honing and bearings etc.

I seem to have loads of oil about but may as well go back to the vw stuff then. I have bought a magnetic sump plug to help. So will be using that.

Did get a sheet of running in instructions from vince. Seems like about 2000miles of running in.

I'd be devastated, it would take me almost a year to run it in! Lol. Top work though Jim, I'd seemed to have missed a fair bit of what you've done recently so just had a read of the last few pages. Hats off to you sir! :salute:

I'd be devastated, it would take me almost a year to run it in! Lol. Top work though Jim, I'd seemed to have missed a fair bit of what you've done recently so just had a read of the last few pages. Hats off to you sir! :salute:

Cheers, i moved a lot of my old photos on photobucket so lots missing in the thread, i should get round to sorting that out really.

I will aim to do the running in within a month or two. i'll just drive about willy nilly :lol:

Fitted the oil catch can, pipework is rather chunky but i'll see how i can improve that once in the car.

20141025_172226.jpg

Gruvenparts aux water pump bracket, had it years so looking a bit old now.

20141025_172209.jpg

Going back to the spring type clips instead of jubilee clips.

20141025_172115.jpg

Also got old engine out on saturday morning

20141025_164238.jpg

20141025_164319.jpg

20141025_164324.jpg

Engine bay is a bit dirty but not really rusty, not sure i will spend ages cleaning it all up to spotlessly clean. Probably just give it a quick wipe.

Debating whether to bother with a 6 branch exhaust manifold or stick with standard manifolds.

Do they make any power difference at all?

Coming on well Jim , I would re rap any old wiring while you can get to it easily .

Edit . I would have thought the six branch would be a good gain ? if the gases are escaping quicker its going to give you more power .