Jim Bowen

Jim Bowen Corrado VR6 - New engine build

I was hoping it would, but as i tighten it, it pulls itself upwards, put the original back in and get the same thing happen. I think its part of the latch is a different shape, so hoping to file/dremel some bits off it

Fcuk knows what is up with the doors, i can't get them right, put original stuff back on and its the same so maybe the drivers door has always been slightly high when shut, seems to drop down a few mm's as it comes off the latch. Given up for now :lol:

Underside was taking forever to clean (it still is really), pic of it so far, its coming up quite well and the rust isn't really that bad underneath. Will be taking the fuel filter/lines off to clean over that side. I bought the karcher steam cleaner, really pleased with it.

20150121_160450.jpg

In regards to the door it might be due to the car being on axel stands??

Ant time a car is jacked up the chasis won't be straight?

Possibly wait till its sat on its wheels to adjust

I have the same with my driver's door Jim. I tried adjusting the other day but it still drops as it comes off the pin. I'm guessing that it's just down to a worn hinge - similar problem to MK1 and MK2 Golfs. The car wasn't jacked when I was messing with it.

What i notice is with the door shut, the rubber seal on top of door sits differently each side, drivers side it kinda sticks out a little past the edge of the roof, the passenger side it recessed a bit and looks correct when compared with the seal on the rear side windows.

Didn't fancy doing too much last night so did some small bits i've had for ages.

QUOTE]

20150115_194818.jpg

If you undo the 2 bolts on the latch mech isn't there adjustment up and down?

Edited by Dox

Finally mounted the crossovers, fitted in quite nicely in the end.

20150131_134556.jpg

20150131_133900.jpg

Then started putting dash back in.

20150208_153924.jpg

Fixed steering column fitted and a DaveA quick shift

I didn't try behind the door cards, thought about it but it made the wiring easier being behind the kick panels.

Pulled the windscreen trim out last night and found the small bit of rust I treated when windscreen was out last year has come back and got a pea sized hole now. Am not sure if i should try and get another new screen and cut out and weld rust properly, or try and get at it from inside the car.

Great work as always Jim.

Put a thin shim behind the door hinge if your door is sagging when its back on its wheels.

How did you mount the crossovers? I need to do mine its holding me up and you seem to have all the solutions to my ICE issues!

Mounting them was a pain, i first tried a double sided foam tape for numberplates, then heavy duty velcro tape, also tried a carpet tape, nothing seemed to stick, i begin to try and drill holes and use the screws supplied but figured out i wouldn't be able to put anything on the back of screw for it to tighten to.

I ended up just putting a big blob of silicone on the back of the crossovers and basically glued it on.

Progress has been slow, been doing a few little jobs. Have been waiting for the weather to get a bit warmer and drier before i treat the rust etc, also trying to find a mobile welder to come and fabricate a bit for the rear bumper mount that has rotten through.

Although thanks to a link shared on the forum i managed to get some repair panels for the front of sills that i need.

20150308_163627.jpg

20150308_163635.jpg

Only actually need a tiny bit of the panel. These are old pics from a couple of years ago. Has already been repaired, but wasn't as good as i wanted so will get done again.

2011-08-12144952.jpg

2011-08-21161449.jpg

Stripped the headlining and finally got all the old glue/foam off, (horrible job)

20150308_163616.jpg

also been sticking the leather back to door cards, had started to come away at the edges.

20150308_163659.jpg

20150308_163705.jpg

And cleaned them, this stuff seems to be one of the better leather cleaners/conditioners i've used over the years.

20150308_163715.jpg

I'm really missing it. Could hear all the motorbikes and loud cars out today and really had an urge to be out in the rado.

Just need to get on now. I have most of the bits i need its just a case of getting on and fitting things now. Got nothing left to remove :lol:

Same as me lol, hopefully the mot will be this week . Ive got boxes and boxes of new parts to fit , still need more , then have to get to a friends garage up on the ramps to fit it all .

Had a guy come round to do a bit of welding yesterday, this is great as i can now get on and start painting things and fitting everything back on.

Think i'll end up painting the whole rear vallance in a black rubber type paint.

20150325_145319.jpg

20150325_145328.jpg

20150325_135647.jpg

The worst bit

20150324_192613.jpg

Been plated over, it won't be seen and covered in schutz type 20150325_135641.jpg

20150324_192633.jpg

20150324_192651.jpg

Remade the door liner, i just used a vapour barrier we use in building houses, works quite well

20150325_135632.jpg

Still got loads to do, but i hope i can get it done within the next 2 months.

I used a similar membrane to do mine too , being in the building trade it was free , as well as being a plasterer I do loads of damproofing , we use the same tape as used to bond the liner to the door so that was free as well.