Jim Bowen

Jim Bowen Corrado VR6 - New engine build

gonna be me doing this next year, will reference this thread so cheers for sharing

That clothes peg idea on the edge of the door card is genius. I'm about to do mine so cheers for that

Found time to finally start getting things covered up over the easter weekend. I seem to have been spending a long time grinding bits of rust off. At least i know the back end of car will be rust free for a while.

Using this stuff this time round as you can spray it on bare metal as a primer and also over any corrosion i couldn't get with the dremel.

20150405_145416.jpg

Used the rubber stuff to cover up the bits that have been welded

20150405_145129.jpg

20150405_145135.jpg

20150405_145213.jpg

and treated underneath as well

20150405_145145.jpg

Think i'll add schutz over it as well at some point, i have the schutz and the gun so may as well try it out.

Fuel cap didn't need any welding, which was a nice surprise, just a little bit of surface rust

20150405_145101.jpg

Painted that with the rust stuff, will probably paint it green at some point

20150405_145538.jpg

Ended up rubbing down the whole rear panel as had rust spotting starting to appear

20150405_174519.jpg

20150405_174530.jpg

And then painted it all, will leave it in black for now, at least until i get car back together etc, am thinking i will have a full respray now. Will wait until i've done all the underside and wheel arches etc

20150406_131545.jpg

20150406_131555.jpg

Need a new tailgate rubber seal now as well, glad i lifted it as was starting to rust underneath.

Ran out of paint, waiting for some more to be delivered then plan is to finish spraying the rear end, axle is away getting plastic powder coated along with the brakcets, then i can build that up, get car on the ground and fit the new engine. Would be nice to drive it this year.

Yeah it goes on quite nicely, hoping its up to the job as the last lot of rust treatment i did never really worked very well, so redoing all that as well.

Shiny ! Very nice finish . I should get mine back next week . It will be rapped and stored along with many other parts !

:lol: I know what you mean, i seem to have piles of part everywhere waited to be fitted. Won't be long now...

Finished grinding away underseal and rusty patches on the rear end. Spent so long under there and in the rear arches grinding, am sick of it, figured i can do the underside of car between the sills another time as can access them easily.

Will be adding some stonechip over this so it will all end up one colour.

20150419_164728.jpg

20150419_164716.jpg

Probably the worst job out the way now, so feel quite chuffed.

Keep up the good work Jim . I managed to do some of mine , but how ever well the car is supported I'm not a fan of lying underneath it lol . Waiting for the lift to do the rest .

Fitted my axle bushes at the weekend (with thanks to Jamiehamy for posting me the tool)

20150425_180855.jpg

20150425_180902.jpg

20150425_180911.jpg

Should start making proper progress soon as i'll be putting the car back together rather than taking it apart.

Sprayed some stone chip on now, Just done the rear end of car as can't get to the front until axle is on and can roll car out of garage.

20150503_163637_1.jpg

20150503_163644_1.jpg

Then made a start on cleaning up fuel lines and making the rear brake pipes. Ended up cleaning up an old heat shield as can't buy that one anymore.

20150510_134221.jpg

20150510_173721_1.jpg

20150510_134303_1.jpg

20150510_134234_1.jpg

Should be able to plough on soon, just waiting for a few last bits.

Good stuff. Was replacing brake pipes on mine a couple of weeks ago. Is it a non abs setup, can't figure out what the second to last pic is looking at, don't recall anything that looked like that?

That's the abs pump. Its the teves20 setup from a more modern golf/passat. Does away with the rear brake valve.

Cracking work Jim. As per usual.

If you are feeling up to the challenge, squeeze a Mk4 Master and Servo in there and see how much of an improvement that makes.

That's the abs pump. Its the teves20 setup from a more modern golf/passat. Does away with the rear brake valve.

Ah, Thats cool. How much work is it to switch to that? My abs seems to be fubar'd (different valve error codes), so looking for alternatives rather than taking a punt on old Corrado units.

Is quite simple in the fact its all contained as it's own system. So you just connect it to brakes, battery and fusebox.

But that involves taking dash out, all the seats, lifting carpet and hiding the wiring.

Cutting off the brake valve on rear beam. Making new brake pipes and swapping the master cylinder/servo.

All quite easy stuff. Just lots of it.

Is quite simple in the fact its all contained as it's own system. So you just connect it to brakes, battery and fusebox.

But that involves taking dash out, all the seats, lifting carpet and hiding the wiring.

Cutting off the brake valve on rear beam. Making new brake pipes and swapping the master cylinder/servo.

All quite easy stuff. Just lots of it.

Ok, thanks. Doesn't sound too bad a job as you say.

Not much to report, but got a couple of parts from VW and started on the PTFE fuel lines.

Got a new manifold heat shield, was surprised how cheap they were from VW, comes covered in an oily wax so needs a clean and polish.

20150514_190508.jpg

The old one had rusted through on the mountain points

20150514_190517.jpg

New heat shield for rear of car, would of replaced them all but can't buy them anymore.

20150514_190407.jpg

Been remaking the fuel hoses with PTFE stuff.

20150512_185755.jpg

20150512_185814.jpg

Am hoping some more brake pipe turns up today, will be able to do quite a bit at the weekend if i get it in time.

Did my cavity wax at the weekend, stuck it in most holes, front and rear of the chassis legs and did inside the the rear qtrs from inside the car.

20150516_154224.jpg

20150516_170846_001.jpg

Thought i'd need more than 1ltr but seemed to go on forever