Jim Bowen

Jim Bowen Corrado VR6 - New engine build

I've heard six branches sound nice but make naff all difference to power - apparently they can actually knock the torque down a bit.

Having said that, I've never seen any dyno figures to prove or disprove this.....

Have been having a search and that one does keep popping up, Someone on here mentioned their one fitted straight on so have been considering it. About £660 is the cheapest i can find it.

Would sway me if i knew it would give some extra bhp 5-10 would be enough.

Just worrying about the head gasket i've fitted now. While checking out ebay i notice Victor Reinz head gasket being sold as different compression to standard.

I've no idea what sort mine is, i bought it off someone on here a couple of years ago now, i assumed it was a standard VR6 replacement.

Just worrying about the head gasket i've fitted now. While checking out ebay i notice Victor Reinz head gasket being sold as different compression to standard.

Could they be referring to the metal version? It is thiner and raises the compression to 10.5:1

The original is a fibre gasket with alloy fire rings around the cylinder bores, multi layer steel (MLS) is just that, stamped out of thin steel plate and riveted together with a few brass rivets

MLS gasket

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Golf-Corrado-VR6-MLS-head-gasket-Victor-Reinz-high-compression-gasket-/121460374181?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c479a3aa5

The original is a fibre gasket with alloy fire rings around the cylinder bores, multi layer steel (MLS) is just that, stamped out of thin steel plate and riveted together with a few brass rivets

MLS gasket

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Golf-Corrado-VR6-MLS-head-gasket-Victor-Reinz-high-compression-gasket-/121460374181?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c479a3aa5

Mine looked just like that ebay one. In fact thats the one i looked at and got me questioning what mine is. Is high compression better?

Mine looked just like that ebay one. In fact thats the one i looked at and got me questioning what mine is. Is high compression better?

The MK4 Golf one is what I have fitted, which is higher C.R. so hopefully slightly more power - Only slight disadvantage is that you must use good quality higher octane fuel!

Ian.

How about the techtronics downpipe and ported out manifolds?

That did crop up on my googling. Although didn't see that downpipe before.

Is it much work to port the manifolds?

As Ian says you may need high octane fuel. Mine runs fine on 95 with the MLD gasket, maybe because it's OBD2?

The MLS gasket is fine to use, unless you run very large camshaft duration. Just make sure the matting surfaces are very clean when installing the gasket

This has got some info on some basics

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4761622-How-to-build-a-relatively-inexpensive-reliable-powerful-Vr6.

I have not done the vr manifolds myself

I'd port match them with a dremel you don't want to go too big and lose exhaust velocity

As an example look at the supersprint e46 M3 stepped manifold

If you have the time why not, I got the manifolds off my vr if you balls them up lol

Edited by Mk3highline

Just put the original manifolds back on for now, Might try and get a supersprint manifold at some point, keeping an eye on german ebay.

Been tidying bay up a little, just sorting through the wires etc, getting my head around what i need to remove and fit for the Teves20, think i know where i'm going now.

Messy bay..

20141115_134146.jpg

Uncleaned side, very dirty, it has done 220,000miles, driven all year round.

20141117_203150.jpg

Decided to start on one side and just work my way around the entire bay, otherwise i just seem to stare at it and wonder where to begin :lol:

20141117_203234.jpg

20141118_201323.jpg

Got the ABS loom separated out in the bay and then started taking the dash out today, Was alot easier than i thought.

20141122_173543.jpg

I want to remove the original alarm system, am i correct in thinking these two boxes are part of that? its the vag/scorpion 5000.

20141122_174810.jpg

20141122_174903.jpg

Its the 2nd one i'm unsure about.

Found an "R" Not sure who did that? :lol:

20141123_144645.jpg

Alarm is now out

20141123_153448.jpg

Another question, what are these boxes fixed onto the inside of dashboard, behind the headlight switch.

20141123_153553.jpg

20141123_153557.jpg

The spoiler connected and the little plastic ring about ignition barrel connected there as well. Is immobiliser separate to the alarm? Do i need to keep the little halo thing on ignition?

Great, think everything is sorted now then, rescued the immobiliser thing out the bin lastnight :lol:

Finally got the complete ABS loom out, Got a right pain near the fusebox.

20141124_212118.jpg

Going to fit the fixed steering column mod while dash is out.

Got more done last night, This ABS removal has been a massive job, imo its one of the biggest i've had to do. I think taking the engine out is easier :lol:

Rest of the ABS is out now, i can start cleaning the bay up properly now.

20141126_214305.jpg

Engine bay is getting emptier

20141126_214248.jpg

Interior looking even worse, got the column out to fit the fixed column i've had for ages.

20141126_214422.jpg

Have gone to fit the column and found i have loads of bits missing, i thought i bought a complete kit with everything i needed.

20141126_214229.jpg

I seem to need a whole lock housing bit?

20141126_214236.jpg

Got the rear stripped out, mainly looking for rust (which i found)

20141207_135732.jpg

Noticed the rust on top of shock, which was odd because they are quite new and other side was fine, then once carpet was out i saw the rust on the seam there.

20141207_135754.jpg

And then this bit which i've noticed in the past, Its looking from inside the car towards the boot, carpet was wet as well, so not sure where that water is coming from.

20141207_135758.jpg

Is that not actually a little hole in the floor there in that last picture? :(