Jim Bowen

Jim Bowen Corrado VR6 - New engine build

Not too bad, they are pretty stiff so take a bit of bending to get in the correct position, i used those ear clamps that you squeeze together with special pliers.

Just chucking bits in, most of it temp fitted as i still need to get injectors and fuel rail, just wanted to make sure the oil catch can and new ABS bits aren't in the way.

20150813_202246.jpg

Few random jobs over the weekend, can't do much more with engine until i get the injectors.

Got some SPAL fans from http://www.serckservicesmotorsport.co.uk/ (Great service, cheaper than everywhere else, arrived the next day, would recommend)

20150814_184438.jpg

Mounted them on my rad

20150814_195013.jpg

Retrimmed the headlining, went for black

20150815_143913.jpg

20150815_143927.jpg

Put some laquer on the rear end, not the best match and still needs a polish, but better than the rust spots, will get a full respray one day.

20150815_164407.jpg

20150815_164413.jpg

20150815_164431.jpg

Then emptied the rear end which has been full of engine parts, cleaning the floor up and painted a couple of rusty bits

20150816_162436.jpg

This will be some beast when finished! Great work and keep going- it will be worth it in the end. I'll be racking your brains whenever I get around to doing my injectors.

I've ended up sending the injectors off to Mr Injector. Sent him 12 of them, so may have a set for sale very shortly. (depending on what he find during service) Some may be duff.

Keep thinking i'm almost done :lol: Am looking forward to driving it, although its going to look exactly the same from the outside.

Thanks for the grommit, unfortunately all that arrived was an empty envelope with a grommit sized hole in it, must of been stacked up or gone through something that pushed the grommit out the enevelope :(

Damn - I have plenty more so will resend in a jiffy envelope when I get a chance to pick one up - no worries. Will just take a bit longer. Maybe there was a VW enthusiast at the sorting office who needed one!

Its Ok, Leon263 is sending me one as well :lol:

I can imagine somewhere a little blue thing is rolling around a sorting office and people wondering what machine it fell off!!

Could I get first dibs on the injectors, assuming you end up with another full / tested set mate? I've got a set I need to send off to refurb but if someone else is already taking care of that, might as well just jump on them instead.

Had a misfire on my VR for a while and injector refurb has been on my radar for ages!

Yeah, your the first to ask so i'll remember, hopefully all 12 are good, i could only test the ohms and they were all the same.

Got the injectors back from Mr injector, happy with how they came out, look great.

20150830_125431.jpg

20150830_125451.jpg

Fitted them

20150830_130936.jpg

Plugged the wiring in

20150830_131404.jpg

20150830_131423_001.jpg

Got manifold on and connected up everything, just needs the ht leads and some fluids, Still got to paint parts of the wings, sills and fit interior before i can drive it though, but will be nice to have it running, maybe next weekend.

20150830_172903.jpg

Oil catch can and the Teves20 ABS all fitted ok and look quite factory to me

20150830_172933.jpg

How i left it, (wings coming back off tomorrow)

20150830_181840.jpg

Just had a good look through the last few months progress on this as I saw the other thread about the headlining. Some absolutely cracking work and real credit to you for doing everything so thoroughly. This will be an extremely well sorted car when you're done!

Made me remember I need to get some cavity wax on mine actually!

Also reference headlining, is yours the foam backed stuff on the as-trim website? I went to check the car the other day after 5 months since parking it up. I did mine a while back and just used a light fabric, but the Glue soaked through in a couple of places near the edge of the sunroof which is really annoying me, and it's also started to come unstuck in a couple of small areas now where there obviously wasn't enough Glue put on. I can't view your photos when I'm away at work, so look forward to seeing some real progress again when I'm back in late December! :thumbleft:

It is amazing how much work you have done . A real credit to you . These sort of threads really inspire me to crack on with mine .

Just had a good look through the last few months progress on this as I saw the other thread about the headlining. Some absolutely cracking work and real credit to you for doing everything so thoroughly. This will be an extremely well sorted car when you're done!

Made me remember I need to get some cavity wax on mine actually!

Also reference headlining, is yours the foam backed stuff on the as-trim website? I went to check the car the other day after 5 months since parking it up. I did mine a while back and just used a light fabric, but the Glue soaked through in a couple of places near the edge of the sunroof which is really annoying me, and it's also started to come unstuck in a couple of small areas now where there obviously wasn't enough Glue put on. I can't view your photos when I'm away at work, so look forward to seeing some real progress again when I'm back in late December! :thumbleft:

Thanks for the comments. Will be glad when its over, i've been on it every weekend for at least a year now.

Yeah, headlining was the foam backed stuff from AS trim, went on really easy, nothing soaked through, the glue it came with wasn't very liquid, was a bit like silly string.

Seeing as i was sorting out rust and bodywork i decided to try and sort out this dent, (even if i only did a temp fix until a proper bodyshop can sort it out)

Had this dent since i bought the car, so 9yrs now.

DSC00320.jpg

So i've been filling it and sanding back, really hard to get the shape right, left it like this yesterday, will be back sanding again tonight

20150906_143625.jpg

Both front wings have been off and i've taken the rust off them, sealed them on the inside, going to wax the inside face as well.

20150906_143527.jpg

Painted the inside of arch that got welded (i've found the wax reacts with the rubberised rust paint, so have to put some body colour on and then the wax. Also had to take rubstrips off this side as door had some rust up the edge (still sorting that out)

20150906_144536.jpg

Bought some coolant and water (got that filled up at the weekend)

20150905_133649.jpg

i had a ding in my rear quater in almost exactly the same place and was a right bitch to get right as most arches are so feel your pain. Can i suggest using a toffee wheel to get the trim backing off the door it wont damage the paint as long as you dont let it get to hot and 10 times quicker than any other method plus it smells wicked. https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/power-tec-stripe-off-disc-with-shank?da=1&TC=SLI-060821488

Edited by SR_Neale

Been fitting the interior this weekend.

Rear seats in, Black headlining as well (hard to photo in a dark garage with black seats and roof

20150913_123338.jpg

Rest of dash in (for some reason my ashtray is blacker than the rest of dash (looking for a new one)

20150913_161115.jpg

20150913_161056.jpg

20150913_170345.jpg

I did the door membranes using stuff from work, vapour barrier and some black sticky stuff.

20150325_135632.jpg

Just looking for some black sun visors, might try and colour the originals as a temp thing.