Jim Bowen

Jim Bowen Corrado VR6 - New engine build

I work for a company that makes timber framed houses (posh ones), i work in the office designing/detailing them, CAD work etc

Bummer. Just found these.

20150916_214028.jpg

They are the clips for the fuel injectors. Seems i forgot to fit them. So going to have to remove a few things. Oh well. Should be glad i noticed them now i guess.

Buggar! That's a turd ain't it! What condition are they in? VW still sel them brand new and iirc they were about a pound each, mine were all rusted

I work for a company that makes timber framed houses (posh ones), i work in the office designing/detailing them, CAD work etc

Nice one . Bummer about the injector clips mate . At least you spotted it .

What's the deal with the injector clips? Do they need to be replaced? Was it easy to get the old injectors out without losing bits of the seals, and then putting the new ones back in? sorry about all the questions - just looking to do this myself soon as I now have my refurbed injectors back from Mr Injector. Great service by the way.

Quite hard to pull out the rail and then pull out injectors as well, i didn't damage anything doing mine though. Think i used some WD40 onto the seals first.

Almost seemed too easy to push back in, i am hoping they are sealed ok :lol: Not sure if mr injectors o-rings were slightly smaller O.D or if when i cleaned up the holes on fuel rail and inlet i over did it and made them slightly larger.

Got the clips fitted last night and everything back together. Wasn't too bad a job.

When I did mine, they were a pig to remove and replace, but the old seals came out perfectly intact. I think the refirb set you get from Mr Injector come with new seals anyway, but if not they're about £6 each from VW!

Just be very gentle when refitting them and use some lube on the seals, as I forced one and broke the brown plastic bit surrounding the jet, which subsequently fell into the head! Luckily my engine was out and on a stand, so I tipped it upside down and it all came out. (It snapped in 2 and was a clean break luckily). I also had a spare set of injectors that I'd ultrasonically cleaned and refirbed myself so I got off relatively lightly.

Good job mate, bet you're pretty chuffed. You'll sort the last few issues I'm sure.

I'll be keeping an eye out on the roads!

-Won't idle from cold unless holding revs up for about 30secs (had this problem before all the work, so must be a sensor or something)

-Dash coolant gauge still reads low

-ABS light is on (VCDS say both front wheel sensors)

-Aux water pump doesn't seem to run after engine is turned off, enough though the fans do

Did you replace all the coolant sensors and are the plugs on the correct ones? Do the wheel sensor faults stay after clearing them and driving the car? Could be the wiring to the sensors. Your idle issue has to be wiring or one of the engine sensors that input to the ECU.

ABS light just stays on, enough if i clear the DTC's. Only driven about 100 meters and didn't really go that fast, maybe 15mph.

Coolant temp sensors were replaced but i can't be sure how new the ones i put in were, i might just buy two new ones so i know they are new (unless i can test the ones i have) i must have a bag of about 2-3 of each.

Am going to go with FPR and lambda for now to cure the running issues, i do have vcds but not sure where to go to check the readings from the lambda etc

There is a test value screen where you can see all the readings and graph them over time. Think it's called measuring blocks. I'm away at the moment but happy to take some readings off my car when I'm back to compare with yours.

I did have a whirring/bearing noise coming from the fuel pump once, lasted a week or so and then went away, that was a few years back though so never thought any more of it.

Sounds like something may have been blocking it and then went. You should never really hear the VR pump unless you are at the boot with the lid off. You can check fuel pressure handily enough using a pressure gauge connected to the bleed nipple on the injector rail.

-Won't idle from cold unless holding revs up for about 30secs (had this problem before all the work, so must be a sensor or something)

-Dash coolant gauge still reads low

-ABS light is on (VCDS say both front wheel sensors)

-Aux water pump doesn't seem to run after engine is turned off, enough though the fans do

Both the coolant gauge and the aux fan are controlled by the yellow temp sensor. Have a look at "The definitive VR6 cooling guide" on the forum for testing.

The ABS light, as fendervr says, is likely to be the connectors on top of the suspension torrents or under the under the wheel arches (if you didn't have the problem before).

Worth adjusting the dashpot on the throttle body to try and maintain idle, if not test the isv.

Ah must check that ABS fix myself.... Mine is intermittent and was thinking it was probably a connector somewhere. .... Thanks

Checked the yellow sensor last night and it is a new one i got from GSF, might try another.

ABS system is the Teves20 upgrade so no connectors on the turrents, i took the front wheel sensors off and obviously not as new as i thought, were covered in bits of metal from the grinding/welding and a bit rusty and split so think i'll renew them as well.

Have mucked about with the dashpot, i think if i adjust to keep the idle up when cold it'll be too high when warm. ISV has been off loads, cleaned and tested with the 12v power supply, seemed ok, (have also tried the spare), i renewed the damper box thing attached to the isv and checked and refitted all the pipes to it.

Injectors have been refurbed as well.

Going to try the new FPR, a new Lambda for now, then will test fuel pressure and renew the pump if needed (think these are the last few bits i've never changed, rest of the mechanical parts are new now :lol:

I think it might be worth bridging the pins in the yellow temp sensor plug to check the function for the aux pump.

I doubt the lambda will be the source of the low idle as its ignored by the ECU until the car is warmed up. Unless the car thinks it's warmed up due to a faulty blue temp sensor/wiring???