herisites

Rob's R32 Corrado - FOR SALE :(

Oh and I will be selling my old engine so spread the word. It's done 160k but I did the head gasket, timing chains etc at 140k and used spacer gasket to lower compression and used ARP non-stretch head and conrod bolts so it's basically ready for a turbo to bolt straight on to it!

Might be done before mine :lol: 8) Good work so far mate, would love to put a 32 in mine :notworthy:

Might be done before mine :lol: 8) Good work so far mate, would love to put a 32 in mine :notworthy:

Do it mate, it's easy! :D

i would love to do it myself, but doesnt matter how easy it is im useless :( i would rent a hoist for the weekend and end up keeping it a month :lol:

i would love to do it myself, but doesnt matter how easy it is im useless :( i would rent a hoist for the weekend and end up keeping it a month :lol:[/quote:2t0ulqag]

Nah you wouldn't, you just do everything you need to do before getting the hoist, getting the old engine out and putting the new on in is piss easy! If you do it yourself, i'd happily give you a hand if you get stuck!

Nah you wouldn't, you just do everything you need to do before getting the hoist, getting the old engine out and putting the new on in is piss easy! If you do it yourself, i'd happily give you a hand if you get stuck!

You are making it sound too easy, stop it! LOL

:lol: sorry! It's not easy you are right, the engine swap part is easy, it's the wiring and setting up that will be hard and take the time, mine's not running yet so can't really comment!

:lol: sorry! It's not easy you are right, the engine swap part is easy, it's the wiring and setting up that will be hard and take the time, mine's not running yet so can't really comment!

Yeah if you fire it up and its 100% from the off I will be amazed! :lol: BUT I really hope you dont have many problems setting it up 8)

one day Rob! one day... :notworthy:

so putting the engine onto the mounts is easy then? then i get a modded loom and fit that yeah?

i know nothing about engines though so excuse some dumb questions, so what else do i need to connect? gearbox, manifold to exhaust (im thinking dubpower for a easy ride).... what else??

i have somewhere i can do the transplant, and once it was running i would just take it to the guys at DGautotech to have a look over it for me... or jut get them to do the entire thing :lol:

so putting the engine onto the mounts is easy then? then i get a modded loom and fit that yeah?

i know nothing about engines though so excuse some dumb questions, so what else do i need to connect? gearbox, manifold to exhaust (im thinking dubpower for a easy ride).... what else??

i have somewhere i can do the transplant, and once it was running i would just take it to the guys at DGautotech to have a look over it for me... or jut get them to do the entire thing :lol:

Well it's easy if you know the engine a bit and know your way round a spanner :lol: but basically the first weekend I spent on it I disconnected the driveshafts from the gearbox, removed the cat and exhaust downpipes, dropped the water and oil, took all the front end off, took rad off and generally started removing bits like rad pipes, loom, PAS pipes etc that connected the engine to the car and it was pretty much ready to pull out then. Cue the following weekend I dropped the old engine out with the use of a trolley jack and some wood :lol: took gearbox off, dropped the wiring loom off at Stealth (you only really need engine loom but there are parts of internal loom you need so try and get the whole loom from the car if possible), then just spent some time cleaning up engine parts and the bay etc.

Then during the week I prepped the R32 lump, being the Mk5 one I needed a VR or 4mo PAS/alternator bracket and tensioner, VR PAS pump with a 4mo/Mk4 pulley, VR (or preferably mocal) oil cooler in place of big R32 one, VR thermostat housing so all rad pipes remain same as in the VR, VR clutch and flywheel ready for gearbox to bolt straight on.

I then got an engine crane, lifted the R32 lump up and put the VR gearbox on, then dropped it down on the mounts in the car, job done lol. Then put Dubpower downpipes on and just generally started putting it all back together. And now I'm just waiting on the loom to get sorted by Vince at Stealth. What he's doing is basically taken my massive pile of wiring and will restrict it down to only what is needed, labelling EVERYTHING, flashes the ECU to remove the immobiliser, post cat lambdas, EGR etc and remap it at the same time, then I get it back and plug it all in and THEORETICALLY it should fire straight up no probs :lol:

Oh and you also need a DBW (drive-by-wire) throttle pedal from any MK5 golf (got mine off ebay for £25 from a TDI) which you will then need to bolt to the floor of the car at some point, I haven't put mine in yet, I've removed the old pedal though.

you do make it sound awfully easy, ill buy another engine next year and try it. how much did you get your fpr for by the way?

you should make a list of all the things you need for the conversion, it seems people do these conversions and then realise along the way they need other parts. i bought the engine, then went white when i heard about the fpr because i have no idea about them, but luckily the audi engine doesn't need one.

looks good progress though, very neat and tidy as well!

Just curious, what does this do to your insurance?

No idea yet mate, I'll worry about that later :lol: I don't think it will go up by much, they would just want to know the power increase so I'd imagine a few hundred quid maybe? :shrug:

you do make it sound awfully easy, ill buy another engine next year and try it. how much did you get your fpr for by the way?

you should make a list of all the things you need for the conversion, it seems people do these conversions and then realise along the way they need other parts. i bought the engine, then went white when i heard about the fpr because i have no idea about them, but luckily the audi engine doesn't need one.

looks good progress though, very neat and tidy as well!

Yeah I probs am making it sound too easy, it's only easy to me as me and Kev (editted before Kev got the chance to moan that HE has had my engine apart before :lol:) have had my engine apart before so I pretty much know where everything is, so to me the stripping and putting back together was simple enough, but to someone who's only ever looked at the engine I suppose it would be a different matter!! I am happy to help anyone through it though.

I got my FPR off ebay for about £80+ I believe, it's not a genuine Aeromotive one but it's a good quality copy unlike the cheap copies on ebay. The FPR is only needed with the Mk5 lump as it has no return line for some reason, don't know how it gets about it in the Golf but to get around it you just put an FPR on. The one I got is overkill really, you only need a small one, but I will want more power in the future no doubt so got a big one :lol:

Yeah I will start putting a definitive list and guide together when I can, obviously won't be too in depth as I have done it all now so won't be able to take pics as I go along, but I list all the bits that need disconnecting and all the steps you need to take etc.

Just curious, what does this do to your insurance?

No idea yet mate, I'll worry about that later :lol: I don't think it will go up by much, they would just want to know the power increase so I'd imagine a few hundred quid maybe? :shrug:

When i got a quote on mine i was told £700-800 with all mods included (wheels, suspension, exhaust, air filter, audi 3.2 engine running upto 280bhp). thats a 22 year old with 4 years no claims. I thought that was awesome price! Depends on insurers though, some class it as the car the engine came out of while some class it as kit car or similar i think.

Will be good if you could do a list of what needs doing as i would really like to do it next year, gonna be a bit sad seeing my 3.2 leave but i can now spend money on uprating to 312 brakes, getting paint done, coilovers and some nice wheels. that reminds me i STILL need to start a members thread lol

SHE'S ALIVE!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yep, Vince finally got my loom and ECU sorted out this week so went and picked it up yesterday morning. All I can say is Vince has done an AWESOME job, I would not have wanted to do it myself!

Me and Kev then went back to mine and started fitting it. It all pieced together perfectly with only a few wires needed splicing in to various signal wires and power etc. Leon also turned up and took plenty of pics so no doubt he will post his as unfortunately I didn't take any, sorry :(

After a good few hours the wiring looked done, we fitted up the fuel lines, put some water in it and then tested for fuel pressure. There wasn't any ... strange ... ah I had the fuel pump out last weekend fixing the sender ... yeah I know what's happened, I put the pipes on wrong way round :roll: :lol: Back out with the fuel pump to correct my amateur mistake and we had fuel pressure.

Then it was finally time to turn the key, needed a few turns but then she fired up and with no decat pipe on it was some noise :lol: But she ran! :clap: Se wasn't revving though so need to check my pedal wiring when I get the ECU pin number etc from Vince so I know what I'm tracing!

To say I'm happy is an understatement, I never doubted Vinces work, mine though is a different question :lol: but looks like I fitted it all correctly! Just needs a LOT of tidying up as we just wanted to get it running yesterday so the bay is a mass of old and new wiring and the pedal is on the windscreen, might leave it there actually :lol:

Next weekend it should be all complete! :cheers:

Superb news mate - really glad to hear it's all coming together. Should be some beast when it's all finished! :)

nice work dude. have you tried fitting up the accelerator pedal yet? you may find you have an interference problem with your corrado fuseboard. I did.

there are ways round it though...

nice work dude. have you tried fitting up the accelerator pedal yet? you may find you have an interference problem with your corrado fuseboard. I did.

there are ways round it though...

Is yours the Mk4 one? Mk5 pedals bolt to the floor so no clearance problems, just need to find a good position and bolt it down. Will do that next weekend though with Kev as the ECU's not even registering the pedal yet so need to figure out why!

Might all take a bit longer AGAIN as my downpipes don't fit right. I fitted my decat and they are pushing the whole exhaust tight against the side of the tunnel so there's no movement. Not ideal really :(

no updates on the throttle Rob?

The exhaust and headers - is it the decat thats too long or the downpipe? You'd be best getting a reducer on the decat anyway?

Pics below

In the last pic, we put that vacuum resevoir in the wrong place :lol: It bolts onto the inlet manifold and then the vacuum routing makes a whole lot more sense!

There's something about his paint colour that really suits the R32 engine 8)

And nope, ECU still not seeing the throttle pedal. This is exactly why you shouldn't buy a loom that's been chopped off. That was the only part of Rob's loom that was and funnily enough, it doesn't work :? We'll sort it though with the aid of the ME7 wiring diagram :D

There's something about his paint colour that really suits the R32 engine 8)

Hah, strange but true! Its looking right at home in there, good work! 8)