Sign in to follow this  
Goldie

Reflex silver Golf 4mo - pics added

Looks good in a green and red sort of way. I'm always a bit wary of upgrade impressions cos you're generally replacing something that's knackered with something new and even with standard parts it'd still probably feel better, but I can see the piston size reasoning and like you, I want to stick with the Solitudes on my Storm.

looks really tasty that does

love the colour of car

Thanks very much, its filthy at the moment, its been in a dusty garage for nearly a week so needs some tlc...

looking good mate.

Still think they should of been colour coded :lol:

looks really tasty that does

love the colour of car

Thanks very much, its filthy at the moment, its been in a dusty garage for nearly a week so needs some tlc...

dont know how you can ever say your car is filthy since youve seen how bad mine gets!!

What caliper paint did you use Goldie?

Its the Halfords own brand stuff.

Only difference i found between that and the foliatec is that its a bit thinner and needs more coats..

dont know how you can ever say your car is filthy since youve seen how bad mine gets!!

You know what im like though Andy, i cant leave the car alone...

Painting the calipers has just given me one more thing to clean..

did you take them off to paint them?

They are a replacement for the standard so were prepared and painted off the car.. I will be painting the rear ones on the car.

nice i`m upgradidng to 280mm from 256mm this week got me thinking can you get the 288mm/312mm to fit on 4stud hubs and get discs and under 16" RX`s

where did you get the brake discs from mate? they crossed drilled? And are they green stuff pads? Any problem with the set up squeaks etc?

can you get the 288mm/312mm to fit on 4stud hubs and get discs and under 16" RX`s

I think the calipers would fit on the 4 stud hubs, im not sure about disc availability. My calipers, discs and pads are for a 95 to 98 Golf VR6.

As for clearance on your 16s, i cant see 288 being a prob but 312s seem to vary depending on the inside of the rims. Im sure someone will have the answer though.

where did you get the brake discs from mate?

Discs and pad are EBC items, the discs are grooved and drilled (not all the way through just dotted).

I removed EBC ones to do the upgrade and havent had any probs other than a warped disc. Id done about 5000miles on them and was provided with a full set of replacements under guarantee.

Nice 8) The calipers look nice and snug under the Solitudes. Notice any difference in the brakes? Was gonna paint my calipers black- may go for red now!

Notice any difference in the brakes? Was gonna paint my calipers black- may go for red now!

Big improvement over standard brakes, so much more of a positive feel to them without having to slam them on. Itll be the type of mod where i reckon ill get used to them quickly and not notice how good they are until driving one without and thinking 'is this gonna stop!!'

I never really considered black, dont think its a match for green cars, mine was a choice between red and silver. I didnt want anything that doesnt look like it was meant to be there...

Well i had hope to have the car lowered by this time but have been distracted with cooling system problems which have finaly been sorted due to the replacement of various bits and bobs...

Car didnt look pretty while changing the fans over, more like shed had a smack in the face!!!

Still, hopefully the next update will be of some more good changes, currently have door handles and a replacement rear number plate surround being painted and then, hopefully, lowering - at last!!!!

I remember when I used to get two weeks off at easter!

Perks of the job Martin, dreading coming back though!!!!

Ill drop you a line when im back, have got a spare wheel now and could be systems go for the refurb on the 1st friday back (20th i think)....

Well at last after months of waiting the car is finally sitting how it should be!!

Made the trip to Gwerks yesterday to get Kw Coilovers fitted and came back to find it looking like this. Im over the moon with it, the car drives brilliantly and doesnt bouce around like it did on the standard set up. It also looks awesome. Had a good chat with Darren yesterday and we agreed that decking the car isnt the way, i wanted it to look like as if it had (and should) have left the factory..

A massive thankyou to Darren and the guys down at Gwerks, i know these guys get praised alot but i understand now why that is the case. Im not normally a fan of leaving my car at garages but i didnt feel that way, these fellas are as enthusiastic as us who own the cars, i defintely reckon you cant go wrong so thanks again..

I feel thats how the VR6 should of left the factory.. Im glad you're happy and your allways welcome down at our place..

Thanks very much for the positive comments guys..

Darren, enjoy your holiday, ill give you a shout when your back for a return vist :wink:

Looking good Goldie.

Hope your wheel is/has refurbed OK. Another one on it's way to Stanford.