Sign in to follow this  
Trig

I've bought an S3 / The S3 Thread

i think the chap on here (is it user called tonedef?) said he had the last service charge of £1800. that i think included the awd service. £1800 service bills are simply ridiculous costs for s3's. decided it definately wasn't the car for me after reading that!

Well I did get £28.78 change from my £1800!

The variable service (remember intervals are approx 2 years) was £198, the Haldex service £81, both +VAT, while the car was in I also had cambelt, water pump, some parts for the driver's seat, a new key and coding, 2 track rod ends and a re-track.

Had I been at home I'd have done a lot of it myself but I was in Singapore for a year and my wife ain't so clever with the spanners. Problem is that people buying cars are such hypocrites, everyone wants a straight, unmodified car with full dealer history but then complains on a forum about the price of dealer service and fits a load of bolt on non original parts. I plan to sell the S3 next year and it'll have FASH, the Corrado has no real value any more and we'll be keeping it forever so I'll service it myself.

New key and coding would have been a large chunk of that then, around the £500 mark aren't they?

I done and haldex oil and filter on mine just last Wednesday night. took 20 mins to do and that was most of the time spent chatting watching oil drip out. Filter was 12 euros and oil was 20 euros. I know its near on impossible when not on a lift or in a pit.

New key and coding would have been a large chunk of that then, around the £500 mark aren't they?

Should be £150, same as the MK4.

Might as well post up a pic of mine after colour coding the grill surround. Far better IMO, gives it that nice stealth look rather than that fake chromey Rover look.

Or the Audi tax ;-)

Seriously though, VW charge £150 to supply and program a switchblade key. I really can't see Audi charging £500 for the same thing, but it wouldn't surprise me!

No Audi tax applied, somebody has just been feeding you BS!

Main key: £51.58

Tansmitter: £36.34

Recode: £53.97

All prices plus the 17.5% we gladly give to Gordon every time we buy somthing.

Audi parts are VW parts, they're all the same pricing, as

cheesewire says it's the same as a Mk 4

Looked into upgrades £1500 for a GT28RS but then fitting and mapping + insurance.

S3s in general.... not my bag. Too middle class young exec and female estate agent for me. I don't get drawn into Audi's 4 ring brand power. I know what's underneath and won't pay the massive premium for the small differences you get over it's VW equivalent.

For 4WD I'd rather take a classic shape Scoob, pocket the difference and spend it on my Rado!

Nah, they're more likely to be driven by knobs these days hence this thread :lol:

The other issue if you look on pistonheads is the 330+ bhp cars don't sell. Not into scoobys a bit too "retail park" for me, the exception being the 22B.

I think Autocar's review was very positive but not the other mags. I've already been in one as a passenger and it was almost too refined. I've been driving various hire cars recently whilst waiting to choose my company car and had a three day test drive in a mk5 Golf GTi which was much better than I expected to be honest. Has anyone driven the new S3?

Well the VR6 went during the week so the hunt is on for a nice black S3.

Saw a nice 210bhp one today at fontains, right price, all the right bits in but it was ming blue (Very very very dark blue metallic) The testdrive was well tumbleweed - couldnt get it over 60 for more than three seconds on the route the salesman took me on - didnt feel amazing but like i said it wasnt a proper test drive.

Also saw a metallic green one (Would never buy one) but seeing as it was just round the corner from me and was a dealer i decided to give it a spin for comparison. This one was a 225bhp model and jesus did it shift - if it wasnt for the green colour and silver leather id have been more that interested!

The bose system in both was excellent i must add, especially after the naff standard set up in my VR6.

Hopefully going to go and see a couple more tomorrow, need to get one soon as i cant stand my girlfriends 205 any longer (hope she doesnt read this!)

Theres a few facelift models out there with fash and less than 70k on the clock for less than 12k (ive budgeted 11k for the car and a grand or so for a remap etc.. )

Hopefully have some pics of one on my driveway for you all soon :)

Another one here!

I've just secured a loan for an S3 :)

Maybe a little dull compared to the C, but also nicer inside, more toys, etc. And you can get 315bhp out of them for about 1200 quid! :) :)

Another one here!

I've just secured a loan for an S3 :)

Maybe a little dull compared to the C, but also nicer inside, more toys, etc. And you can get 315bhp out of them for about 1200 quid! :) :)

have you sold up then?

tried one of these - nice but didnt do it for me. going the other direction - cheap daily car and an elise. in around a years time lol

And you can get 315bhp out of them for about 1200 quid! :) :)

more like £3500 for 300+bhp.

I haven't sold up mate. Probably will though. But then I may keep the rado and just sell some of the more expensive bits off it.

I know what you mean about the s3 but i want something modern, fast and safe for the kids.

theres a lot of sense in that. best of luck with it mate. have read frightening stories about audi servicing costs so choose well where you take it!

First place to spend your money is in the handling department. Let's just say that after driving a C on Koni coilovers for six years I found the S3 rolls a little, a set of ARBs is a fair investment.

more like £3500 for 300+bhp.[/quote:b9181]

Well actually more like 1500 with vat (which i wouldn't pay) for 315bhp. Maybe it was 305 but definately a smidgen over 300. I guess without internal engine mods it would blow up quite quickly.

I'd be happy with a 265 rechip.

Well actually more like 1500 with vat (which i wouldn't pay) for 315bhp. Maybe it was 305 but definately a smidgen over 300. I guess without internal engine mods it would blow up quite quickly.

I'd be happy with a 265 rechip.

Stick with the rechip. You need to spend £1500 on top of a £500 265bhp chip to get 280bhp which is the maximum the turbo can physically flow.

There's some place offering a 'stage 2 kit' which consists of remap, exhaust, intake, etc. They claim 95 bhp over the standard 210 model.

I guess it's bull though. I am very new to the world of S3's.

Anyone know where i can find any web pages with standard spec, options, specs, etc please? Going to see a couple tomorrow.

Lee - you've had/got an s3 and a 4motion right? How do they compare standard? Handling and power/speed wise. Is the golf less sporty and more boat like or not mate?