Sign in to follow this  
coolrado

Pothole wrecked my splitter.

For the last couple of months there has been a large pothole at the end of my lane which has been getting worse and worse and is now about 50cm across (about 20 inches in old money) and 13cm (about 5 inches) deep and has got to the point where its almost impossible to avoid (its very narrow where the pothole is), normally you just get a little bit of a scrape when driving over it but yesterday i had to reverse back over it to let an ambulance past and heard a nice crunch and then a bang as the right hand corner of the splitter got ripped open, my dad and the next door neighbor both reported the pothole a couple of months ago but absolutely nothing has been done about it.

Is it worth claiming off the local council or highways department for a new splitter or am i likely to be told to sod off as the car is too low?

Photos... Photos more photos.. Send them in along with your claim. Don't tell them it's lowered, take a pic with your car in the hole as well....

Photos... Photos more photos.. Send them in along with your claim. Don't tell them it's lowered, take a pic with your car in the hole as well....

good point, i will get some photo's tonight with a ruler in the hole to prove it, shame it wasnt on the main road as i could get them to replace the dented AZEV A at the same time :lol:

i suppose i could wind it back up on the coilies if they ask how high it is :lol:

how much is the 90mm splitter as the GPC prices are incorrect arent they?

or is there a better alternative, does the vento splitter fit?

Potholes really get on my nerves and are my biggest cause of road rage. I started complaining to the local council about them and to my surprise, they actually fixed a few of them.

Think they are going for £60 plus the VAT.

Id make an attempt at a claim, nothing ventured nothing gained and all that...

they have 2 warnings THEY SHOULD BE MADE TO PAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

potholes like that could kill someone on a motorbike anyway!

I claimed against the council for my alloy wheel when i hit a pot hole. Not much of a problem at all, as long as youve got pics of the damage and hole, preferably with something to give scale of the hole. The only little problem was the time it took to get the cheque in my hand. Oh and youll need to buy a new splitter and send them a copy of the receipt.

The amazing thing was, when i reported the wheel to the council, 2 days later there were signs up saying road will be closed in the next 2 weeks, they resurfaced the whole road! :lol: all on behalf of me reporting the pot hole and claiming. Has to be said its as smooth as hell now, no hole or bumps. A pleasure to drive down. They should have done that before though.

Oh and the hole was there due to work men not doign their jobs properly. Had the sprayed on yellow box round the hole, like it has been worked on but not completed.

Should try driving around here.. the state of the roads is pretty shocking. I'm genuinely stunned that some of my wheels are not flat sided now after some of the bashes i've had driving into potholes I hadn't spotted! :(

Good luck with your claim though coolrado - as I understand it, councils are surprisingly good at coughing up to compensate folks for damage done to cars because of bad road surfaces..

where are the pics of the pot hole!

cant really get a good sense of scale for it from the pic but like i said its about 5 inches deep and the road around it has also started to sink.

You may want to get something to give the hole some scale. Place an item next or in the hole. I used a lighter and it showed the depth of the hole. Just make sure you get down low and level with the hole.

surprise surprise the day after they received my e-mail the hole has been patched up, but judging by the bodge they have done of it, it will probably be exactly the same next week, they didnt clear any of the loose gravel that was in the hole and it was still full of water when they threw the tarmac in to it.

still havn't had a reply to the e-mail though, probably due to everyone being off for chrimbo, how do i go about actually claiming from them?

oh dear sounds like our local council, unfortunatly im on the border of 3 counties!! so i get to report to all of them seperatly, (west sussex, Surrey & hampshire, oh what a joy) the roads around here are terrible, no wonder people drive P*ssing 4x4's!!!

how do i go about actually claiming from them?

Give it time mate they will reply. If youve got pictures of the damage and of the hole you shouldnt have no problems. I damaged my wheel in November 05 and finally got a paid out in August 06. The council may send you a letter saying they do not accept responsibility and then refer the claim to their contractors who actually fix the roads.

how do i go about actually claiming from them?

Give it time mate they will reply. If youve got pictures of the damage and of the hole you shouldnt have no problems. I damaged my wheel in November 05 and finally got a paid out in August 06. The council may send you a letter saying they do not accept responsibility and then refer the claim to their contractors who actually fix the roads.

I wonder if they treat e-mails the same way as road works, there will be one person actually reading the e-mail while 6 others stand around doing bugger all, 2 more with clip boards, and a site forman.

There was a hole like that in the public road at the end of my drive. So I sent them a picture of it and the threat of a bill for new shock absorbers if they didn't fix it, and sure enough, the following day the gibbons were out there padding tarmac into the hole. Did a top job too :-)

and sure enough, the following day the gibbons were out there padding tarmac into the hole

:lol:

No offence to any members that are road workers of course!

LOL!

Yes of course, no offense meant..... but these particular road workers definitely were primates of some kind, gibbon seemed a fitting word :-)

I hit a bad pothole and when went out to the car the next day, front OS tyre was flat, took it off and pumped it up and it has a huge egg on the inside!

Would this have been cause by said hole or just a coincidence?

Going to have to get a new tyre, is it ok to replace one or best to get a pair, and would the council or roads depo fork out for this.

I split a tyre previously on a hole and it damaged the rim, had it repaired and it still loses air, never claimed for any of that