Sign in to follow this  
andy_vw

Uprated headlight wiring looms

Just been reading this thread and I along with Gavin(H100VW) used to make the 2 relay type looms.

I've not been doing them for a while but am considering starting again if there is interest.

I hear what has been said about the problem with only having 2 relays but I never had any problem with them.

However I've looked at the design of the old loom and with some adapting I can make it a 3 relay affair. That would be 1 for each headlight and 1 for both main beams.

These could come with an OEM plug for the headlights or the 4 female blades that fit where the plug goes.

Due to the price of the plugs and terminals for the plug the price would be £62 or £50 with the female blades.

If anyone is interested please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

I'm reliable as I'm sure quiet a few people on here will vouch for me.

Please PM me with Q's or interest and if there is a need I will start up a new thread.

Sorry for Hijacking this thread but I'm only looking to solve a problem that clearly exists.

Just been reading this thread and I along with Gavin(H100VW) used to make the 2 relay type looms.

I've not been doing them for a while but am considering starting again if there is interest.

I hear what has been said about the problem with only having 2 relays but I never had any problem with them.

However I've looked at the design of the old loom and with some adapting I can make it a 3 relay affair. That would be 1 for each headlight and 1 for both main beams.

These could come with an OEM plug for the headlights or the 4 female blades that fit where the plug goes.

Due to the price of the plugs and terminals for the plug the price would be £62 or £50 with the female blades.

Please PM me with Q's or interest and if there is a need I will start up a new thread.

Sorry for Hijacking this thread but I'm only looking to solve a problem that clearly exists.

I'm interested but I won't pay up front. So stick me down on your list as my car is close to getting an advisory on the beam brightness at the next MOT. I'd want a loom that would do each headlight and each beam on individual relays so as to be safe and also be plug and play. Many Thanks. :salute:

edit: the above looks a bit aggressive sorry it's not meant to read like that. :roll:

I'm interested, but of course I'm interested in the other one too, and I'm not sure what the differences are.

Since there are now two potential makers, and on the assumption that you guys aren't likely to be planning to retire on the proceeds, might it be wise for you to chat to each other and see if there's value in you working together?

I'm not sufficiently technically aware enough to understand the relative merits of one over another - I just want a simple, plug-and-go solution that gives me decent light at the sharp end of my Corrado (for both normal and high beam). So my preference would be a single agreed solution and I can just PayPal the dosh as appropriate.

Cheers!

Im interested as im sure my GF would be so id be interested in 2 please!! IMO the easier the better plug and play with the oem connecters sounds best to me!!

I hadn't seen that some one else was making looms at the moment.

However I will be making some if I get enough interest.

I'll want about 10 enquiries and will only ask for payment once the items are made and ready to dispatch but be advised They take a little time to make and I will have to front up alot of cash to make 10 so please only ask if you really want.

please PM me with genuine enquiries and I'll keep people posted or start a new thread.

As for writing a description of how to make a loom, it would be quicker for me to make a loom than to explain how to do it, also to buy the parts I use as individual items would cost about the same and the tooling makes it unrealistic for a DIY project, so sorry, no. Not because it's a secret but it's all in my head and difficult to put on paper.

Cheers

Cheers for the reply, and i understand that it would take some time to write a full comprehensive guide. I am just still undecided as to whether I want to have a go at this myself as a project or take the easy way out. I will let you know what I decide in the next few days so you can rule me out or add me as a genuine interest.

Thanks for your reply

Gary

For what it is worth chaps i have already stated in another thread that looms are available here :-

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZ1989corradog60

This chap is a Corrado owner himself and has been making headlight looms for years.

If you live in Devon and wish to collect he'll even fit the loom for nothing.

You can pay via Paypal and your payment is protected.

For what it is worth chaps i have already stated in another thread that looms are available here :-

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZ1989corradog60

This chap is a Corrado owner himself and has been making headlight looms for years.

If you live in Devon and wish to collect he'll even fit the loom for nothing.

You can pay via Paypal and your payment is protected.

It was this eBay listing that prompted me to post here asking whether this type of loom was any good, and the reply came back that they were questionable. I'd be delighted to be corrected...

It was this eBay listing that prompted me to post here asking whether this type of loom was any good, and the reply came back that they were questionable. I'd be delighted to be corrected...

Just been looking through your past posts but not found what you mention.

James makes more than one type of loom so i'de like to know what anyone finds questionable and try and quash any fears.

I've looked at the design of the old loom and with some adapting I can make it a 3 relay affair. That would be 1 for each headlight and 1 for both main beams.

You can even make the looms with 4 relays if you wish.

James makes more than one type of loom so i'de like to know what anyone finds questionable and try and quash any fears.

Just a few side comments to avoid eBay looms.

So, what's the consensus - does this guy make good looms?

As i've said before in previous threads....there are varying qualities and the difference between them is mostly in the quality of relays used.

There is little reason why even the most basic single relay loom should fail.

The only difference between Gavins old loom and James' equivilent loom is that Gavins loom had more in the way of shrouding.

The only reasons that a loom could fail are:-

Faulty relay --------------------------------- the poorer the quality the bigger the chance of the relay failing over time...relays should also be protected from the elements

Poor routing of cables when fitted ------- cables should be secured to the car in such a way so that they do not flap about, chaff or snag on anything.

Loose or broken connectors--------------- Crimped connectors can become corroded(over a very long period of time) , or if under strain can come loose or wires will come adrift

completely if under excessive strain.

Incorrectly wired---------------------------- blown bulbs and fuses will occur if you have not wired the loom into the car correctly.

If you have any doubt as to your ability to fit a loom then you should not attempt to fit one.

I just want to point out that the need of uprated headlight looms not only apply to early VW cars but also to a lot of other makes of pre 1990's cars.

James makes his looms with the correct specification fuses, relays, wires and connectors so the answer to your question would have to be yes they are good looms.

James makes his looms with the correct specification fuses, relays, wires and connectors so the answer to your question would have to be yes they are good looms.

Sorry to be dumb, but is James the guy whose ebay link you provided earlier?

Sorry to be dumb, but is James the guy whose ebay link you provided earlier?

Yes

OK, thanks. I'll get in touch with him and have a chat.

I am lurking. I don't post much unless I need to. Also C sold and due to small child it may be some time before I get another. I'm all modern and MK4 Golfy at the minute.

Now I'm not as busy I'm happy to start making looms again but I don't want to get into petty squabbles about my loom being better then yours. I think 4 relays takes up too much room and is a waste of time. If you lose main beam because of a crap relay then it's not the end of the world. Also the relays are good as a rule and if changed every couple of years there is less of a problem. I've been happy, as have many, with the 2 relay looms but you need to confident in what have when you drive fast in the dark.

I've got about 5 people interested at the minute so will give it a few more days and let the afore mentioned folk now the score.

Thanks for genuine interest and apologies if I've miffed anyone.

Any more Q's feel free

i had one of these looms and promptly sent it back , i had a 35 pound loom so not a cheap one , initially it looked ok then i noticed the lucar connectors were crimped with a wire cutters so they were split through the insulation of the connector also a few were loose to start with also at the relays were the live headlight supply wires were , was a botch job , fair deal he sent my money back once i returned the loom minus my paypal charge and return postage so it cost me ,

so it serves me right in a way as i was only being lazy and i made my own soldered and heat shrinked ,

and as for 4 relay job a lot of cars only have a single relay for dip and a single for main so as long as you use quality relays there is no issue , have 4 if you feel the need but i have been uprating my various cars headlight looms for years and have never lost dip or main ,

and this is not a dig at james its what i found with the loom i had supplied to me.

i had one of these looms and promptly sent it back , i had a 35 pound loom so not a cheap one , initially it looked ok then i noticed the lucar connectors were crimped with a wire cutters so they were split through the insulation of the connector also a few were loose to start with also at the relays were the live headlight supply wires were , was a botch job , fair deal he sent my money back once i returned the loom minus my paypal charge and return postage so it cost me ,

so it serves me right in a way as i was only being lazy and i made my own soldered and heat shrinked ,

and as for 4 relay job a lot of cars only have a single relay for dip and a single for main so as long as you use quality relays there is no issue , have 4 if you feel the need but i have been uprating my various cars headlight looms for years and have never lost dip or main ,

and this is not a dig at james its what i found with the loom i had supplied to me.

I guess in the span of 2 years and 600+ looms there are going to be some problems.

I guess in the span of 2 years and 600+ looms there are going to be some problems.

use a crimpers for lucar connectors not a wire cutters , and if there is a problem dont send it out , if i had not checked it and just fitted it ,it would have left me in the dark , and if he has done 600+ i had mine a couple of months ago surely they should be perfect by now.

Has anyone spoken to Andy-vw recently? He seems to have disappeared and I have a vague recollection of someone mentioning that they knew him outside this forum.

I'm guessing that there are several people who've sent him money for the loom and am assuming that, like me, they haven't seen any refunds...

he has a nice website at http://www.andyrowland.co.uk, likes his slot cars http://www.amazon.co.uk/Basics-Radio-Control-Model-Cars/dp/1854861158 and http://www.waldysslotcars.com/comments.htm

20 Sywell Road,

Swindon,

Wiltshire,

SN3 4BG

email: [email protected] though strangely no reply!

Many thanks (although I think you mean ntlworld.com). Interestingly, a PM to him from the beginning of February hasn't been picked up, so I do wonder whether there's more to this than his simply keeping a low profile. Hope he's OK.