tonedef

Tonedef's Classic Green VR

Looks a beauty!

Looks lovely, you must be very excited :)

Good luck with the mot

Thanks, it'll be nice to drive it again, further than the end of the drive anyway. I parked it up in August 2008 when I bought an R32 and have basically chipped away at it on and off ever since. I've had plans of making Stanford Hall every year since I was there last in 2014 but things have dragged on a bit, it was in the paint shop two years during which time we moved house so that's been number 1 priority the last couple of years.

Seats and door cards are being re-trimmed and should be back next month, I'm fitting the last bits of interior trim at the moment after which I'll throw the scrap yard Golf seat back in so I can at least shuffle it around. I need to get the a/c re-gassed which may be interesting as it'll be the first time with the Mk4 Golf condenser and made up pipework. I did the tracking by eye and now can see that it toes out a little but on the whole it's closer than it's been in ages.

Not too concerned about the MOT although the ABS light seems to have developed a mind of it's own.......over the weekend it was just staying on, I checked and cleared the codes after which it worked OK and now it's not even lighting when I switch on the ignition. Hopefully a decent run followed by clearing any codes before the test will sort it out.

So after close to ten years I believe we're just about to go back on the road, of course there are things still to do but isn't that Corrado ownership? Took some photos today for the insurance agreed valuation, couple of them here.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93465[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93467[/ATTACH]

Since it was last on the road, in no particular order, it's had:

288 front brakes

OBD2 install

Dave 16V short shifter and centre console bracket

Shot blast & powdercoat front subframe, radiator support, rear beam, bottom arms, tank straps and bonnet stay

Rear wiper delete

Centre brake light

Full glass out respray

New windscreen

All window, door, boot and sunroof seals

Hard brake lines all replaced

Disks, pads and brake backplates

All wheel bearings

R32 & Powerflex bushes in bottom arms

Standard rear beam bushes

ARB bushes and drop links

Engine mounts

Koni coilers serviced and dynoed, new Koni springs all round and rear platforms

Golf Mk4 a/c condenser and pipework to replace hideous Passat item. Not yet re-gassed so the jury still out!

Full leather re-trim by MJ Interiors

New seat heating elements

Rainbow DL speakers

Plus a whole heap of sundry items along the way. I have no idea how much money I've spent and should probably keep it that way, it's not about the money after all! Some was recouped by selling the 17" Borbet C wheels, angel eye headlights and smoked rears plus the Schrick OBD1 inlet manifold when I did the OBD2 conversion, I have kept the Schrick 268 cams though as I like the lumpy idle and top end power.

MOT later this week, sort the tracking, drive it a bit and see what falls off next!

Looking fantastic.

Haven't been on the forum in ages but love coming on a seeing folks still working on their cars. Well done mate

No new photos but I think that I’ll leave it alone for a while now and just drive it! Car passed its MOT but the steering rack wasn’t right. Considered fitting another eBay one but decided to get current one refurbished and so far it seems to have been a good call.

Went to get the a/c regassed today but it blew a seal so need to look at that, possibly later in the week, but for the moment just enjoying having it on the road again!

This must be one of the least updated galleries on the forum, been here something like 15 years and not off the second page yet! Just liked the way it looked today!

00793670-2BD7-441D-8C32-B60C3E19E6F0.jpeg

I do like a taigate brake light. 👍

Were you parked at clumber or an area of the Dukeries estate ? 😊

Edited by Cressa

High level light is very nice - I have the parts (light unit, loom and bracket) but haven't gotten around to fitting yet - did you mod the tailgate or by the US version?

Nice to see the car tonedef looks a real nice example (and yours Shaun as well with the cameo appearence above!). We should all post more pictures of our cars, I'm guilty as well. I'm sure it gives others a boost seeing them, does me as I get blase looking at mine.

2 minutes ago, MJA said:

Nice to see the car tonedef looks a real nice example (and yours Shaun as well with the cameo appearence above!). We should all post more pictures of our cars, I'm guilty as well. I'm sure it gives others a boost seeing them, does me as I get blase looking at mine.

Only a file photo from 2 years ago. Put standard lights on since. But I know what you mean. A photo is a thousand words. 

Welcome to the brake safe club mate  it’s what’s required these days  
7CE2642C-3AA4-471A-B5AB-18A247C7C5D9.thumb.jpeg.f0675e3c7ab3e2e6a1ec93e8f28b36d3.jpeg

US tailgate or did you cut using the template that’s floating around the web? Tempted to start on mine straight away now!

New USA tailgate a couple of years ago. My old tailgate looked like this5B6980E0-B605-41D8-97BE-5BFE95FA5142.thumb.jpeg.244638e97cb14829026972b832ef23c4.jpegD4416D65-41F2-4EF3-A554-D0CF941DBF52.thumb.jpeg.0f40706787abe363fb27f07b3b0e92d4.jpeg8899B74E-332E-4E57-B4F6-F283B9D3A51B.thumb.jpeg.4e5ffe8e935764ee8ee2f32521f447ad.jpeg

Smashed the glass to save the rubber 🙄

10 hours ago, Keyo said:

Looks a cracking motor that mate fairplay. 

Thanks, they definitely bring a smile to your face don't they. 350 miles over the last week, probably the most it's done in such a short time for over ten years!

5 hours ago, Cressa said:

I do like a taigate brake light. 👍

Were you parked at clumber or an area of the Dukeries estate ? 😊

It's the car park at the Welbeck farm shop and Notcutts garden centre on the A60 down from Worksop, it's our local shop and I'd just been to the butchers for things for breakfast.

35 minutes ago, fendervg said:

US tailgate or did you cut using the template that’s floating around the web? Tempted to start on mine straight away now!

It's the original UK tailgate but we fitted a genuine US brake light assembly when I was having the car painted. Didn't use any template as I wanted it to finish flush with the tailgate rather than sitting proud as originally intended. There was a lot of discussion on here years ago about whether a third light should be mounted higher and a few fitted them in the top of the rear screen but I've always been of the opinion that it's a centre light that's the important addition, after all many OEM lights are fitted at almost the same level as the outer lights. I had the wiper hole welded up at the same time which freed up the spare wire I needed for the brake light, saved me threading another one through the tailgate!

IMG_1726.JPG

IMG_1725.JPG

4 hours ago, 1xshaunx1 said:

Only a file photo from 2 years ago. Put standard lights on since. But I know what you mean. A photo is a thousand words. 

I just checked the date on the photo, it was six years ago when the centre brake light went in although I must have had the fitting sat around for five or more years before that waiting for the opportunity to use it.

1 minute ago, tonedef said:

I just checked the date on the photo, it was six years ago when the centre brake light went in although I must have had the fitting sat around for five or more years before that waiting for the opportunity to use it.

Ha ha - I have mine at least 8 years I think - got them from ARZ back in the day. My plan was to fit same as yours uing this template as a guide - top shows the US profile and bottom the standard one. Great tip on removing the wiper and using those wires to feed the brake light though. One day hopefully......

t-zeichnung.jpg

21 minutes ago, tonedef said:

My photo is actually over 3 years old. Doesn’t time fly. 
Your car and brake light look great matey. Well worth the effort.