Sign in to follow this  
G60SC_Stoney

S/C VR6 Golf Vs Audi S3

went up to guildford VW Garage earlier in my Golf, and had a little race with a Lexus GS430 on a 51 plate, up the A3, to my surprise there wasnt much in it, but he did have the edge over me as the VR6 slowed down acceleration wise after about 120 ish while he just carried on. those things must be good engines although i bet he still wasnt getting 25MPG on the MFA, hehe (i know they are not honest readouts tho).

Then, on the way back from the garage, again on the A3, just as i pulled into the slip road to come off at Brook, a silver S3 pulls across and is in front of me, as we come off the A3 and along the long straight lane into Brook/Milford, suddenly he puts his foot down and obviously wanted a little race, thought i'd take him up on the offer, and put my foot down, stupid me did it in 2nd gear and just smoked the tyres until somewhere in 3rd gear. but after i gained traction i was off and chasing him, looked like i was catching up too, if i had 4WD or any driving skills i would have had him, right ?

It surprised me how slow those S3's are, i mean, their fast but i would have thought they would have more in them than what this one did?

I think it's because even though they have more BHP, they probably weigh a fair bit more than the Golf, mostly because of the 4wd system.

I've read on here a few times that a Corrado vr6 can keep up with an R32 (Obviously not from a standing start) even though the R32 has about 25 more or so BHP, the 4wd system balances out the power to ratio figure between the two. Generally newer cars these days are getting heavier, a safety measure I think. Which is silly as they're just going to get more heavier thus needing more BHP.

Or I'm just talking bananas...

I own and drive both a VR6 Corrado and an S3, I can say without any doubt that the S3 is the quicker. If you drive on real roads with plenty of corners thrown in the Audi will have it every time as it's faster round them and also gets out of them quicker. That's not to say the Corrado is any slouch, put the two together on a straight road an there's not the same margin, they're pretty evenly matched on a dual carriageway at 120 and the top speed is very similar (like we ever get the chance to drive at that in Britain any more :x ).

As for the power, early S3s were 210bhp until end 2001ish and 225 after, a chip and nothing else frees 260/265 and makes them a lot more fun, they're still no Evo beater as the handling then needs a lot of work.

if you want to go 120mph get up at 4 am and go and do it? i do to get to work

so do i, although its quiet hard to get 120Mph out of a royal mail bicycle...

"As for the power, early S3s were 210bhp until end 2001ish and 225 after, a chip and nothing else frees 260/265 and makes them a lot more fun, they're still no Evo beater as the handling then needs a lot of work. "

sorry i was talking poo... that was a good effort then in the VR.

TBH I think your gonna pull away from a s3 with a S/C Vr anyway. As there's not much in it when standard (Corrado anyway).

TBH the VR6 is an awesome engine and chassis package, if you think about it how many cars do you see now days rolling out of the factory and capable of topping out at 150mph? The S3 may have the 4wd and trickery to get you in/out the corners and help launch off the line, but unless it's been modded the VR will easily match it on the straight.

Standard S3 = 210bhp. 0-60 6.6sec, Top speed 148mph

Standard VR6 = 190bhp. 0-60 6.7sec, Top speed 147mph

The only thing the S3 has on its side is the fact that its probably only got 50,000 miles on the clock and is only 5/6 years old. I'd still have one though :lol:

If it came with a decent & interesting engine i'd have one 8) :lol:

If VW had built a new Corrado sooner I might not have needed to go to Audi for something I can do my 500 mile round trip from home to work in without worrying about it being reliable. I may get a new Iroc when they finally come out, but now I have the Audi bug it might have to be an S4 :lol:

Need to get that plastic on the rear colour coded Lee ;)

Does look like a funny pic.

Standard S3 = 210bhp. 0-60 6.6sec, Top speed 148mph

Standard VR6 = 190bhp. 0-60 6.7sec, Top speed 147mph

i would have expected more from an S3, especially with all the modern technology. kind of makes you appreciate the old VWs, and shows how things have changed over the years...

WIth my stage 2 VF, I kill my friends' 225 TT with just about every bolt on available. Once I hit 4k...the TT is done.

They are quick off the start...but once it hits the top end...its done. Up above 5500rpms the KO3/kO4 runs out of breath.

But as tonedef already said, as soon as you put a corner into the equation the quatro will make all the difference.

the Audi makes a C look tiny!

Two can play that game, the Porsche makes them both look tiny!

But as tonedef already said, as soon as you put a corner into the equation the quatro will make all the difference.

Bah! Quattro....schmattro... :compress:

Just bceause it has awd...dosen't automatically make him Michael Schumacher. :lol:

New technology v's old; a 15 year old car v's a 5 year old one (approx) - Not a massively fair comparison in my mind but always nice to see the Corrado can still hold its own against the modern day rivals.

Well I for one would be more than happy to accept that the Audi S3 may have the better technology and be quicker in a corner, but at least my C doesn't look the same as every other A3 TDi driven by a rep who's put big wheels and a S-Line badge on it. :wink: :lol:

Luckily I don't have to drive to work though, otherwise my choice of car would be just the same as the other guys on here, C in the garage and a more modern mile muncher for everyday use. Do you think back in 1992 they were raving about their new company car Corrado VR6 and how they used it for work whilsts keeping the mk1 golf in the garage? :roll: