Sign in to follow this  
Goldie

Brake Caliper Paint

I will be upgrading my brakes shortly and would like to paint the calipers and before putting them on the car, am going for silver so:

Any suggestions on a make i should go for and wheres the best place to buy?

Any tips or advice on painting them from anyones experience?

Cheers peeps..

I used the 2-part Foliatec stuff on mine.

It's expensive, but my god, nothing will shift the stuff once it's dry - not even paint stripper. Halfords also do own-brand calliper paint which is just a single pot, but I've no idea what that's like for longevity.

The Foliatec stuff comes with a can of calliper cleaner, but if you buy other stuff, you want to make sure the callipers are as clean as you can get them before you paint them - if nothing else, get all the loose bits of corrosion off with a wire brush. If you don't, then the paint will just flake off after a few weeks and look poop.

I went for black paint because it's nice and stealthy, it's not obvious that they're painted, but stops them looking manky and still get a nice glossy shine on them when they're clean.

If you do go for the Foliatec stuff - it starts setting as soon as you mix it up, so make sure you've got everything ready before you start. If you're thinking of mixing up just half of it, then make sure you stir up each part on it's own very well before you mix them - otherwise the stuff won't set, or it'll be too thick and gooey to use.

Annnd lastly - the paint sticks to anything and will not ever come off, so be careful where you paint :)

Hammerite! been using it on calipers for years with no problems. Use a good wire brush to remove rust/dirt etc, clean with brake cleaner then apply the hammerite. Make sure you leave the calipers to dry though otherwise you'll end up with paint splatter on your wheels.

I heard the Halfrauds stuff was as good as any, and cheap.

btw, Silver? :scratch:

Colour coded all the way imo

gold? that'd look great. would like mine gold as on black cars it looks lush. anyone know where to get gold paint too?

Used the Halfrauds stuff on mine, cheap as chips and seems to be OK so far but it's only been back on the road about 6 weeks so time will tell. As everyone else says, clean is the main job, wire brush in the electric drill for most of it made the job bearable. Then get a couple of coats on following the instructions on the can.

Red is the only colour for calipers though :lol:

Dont fancy gold or black but am struggling to decide between silver or red....

Umm, decisions...

My rear calipers are only 9 months old and the ones im putting on the front have been painted by Supercharged so am hoping itll not be too much of a job.

Dont fancy gold or black but am struggling to decide between silver or red.....

agree with not black or gold, but im still sticking with my earlier advice :lol:

Dont think green calipers would look out of place at all, its Storm its all about the colour coding... and would look alot more subtle than red......

red reminds me of boy racer corsa's.

silver, black or gold look great i think.

no point in trying to agree on colours though - after all we're all different

red reminds me of boy racer corsa's.

silver, black or gold look great i think.

no point in trying to agree on colours though - after all we're all different

I have to admit to looking at green or red myself but thought that rather than colour coding, they'd never be classic green so would most likely clash anyway.

I agree about Corsas, just before I did mine I saw one where the calipers had obviously been painted through the spokes, one coat straight onto rust, looked great??? I had all four calipers on the bench, completely stripped and to me they look as good as I'd get for a few quid. Of course I could invest in a set of Brembos :shock:

I understand what you guys mean about red but i think the contrast against the green works well along with the all red rears on mine i think it could be the way.

GIXXERUK, your car looks sweet as and is a perfect expample of what i mean about the contrast. Am beginning to sway towards the red.

Anyone else got pis of any other colours, ive given myself 48 hours to decide!!

Pink however...

With pink leathers and calipers i could be starting a whole new trend!!!!

I think pink would look good on your silver VR dinkus, get them painted!!

What did you decide? red or silver? I've having the same debate....

I'm also thinking about investigating getting my new (used) Golf MkIV calipers powder coated instead of painted, along with the set of original VR6 Speedlines I just purchased...discuss.....

I'm thinking SIlver too - or perhaps a gun metal grey if i can find it.

Any thoughts on powder coating calipers and/or speedlines?

a light colour will be hard to clean clean though. Like Dinkus I've done mine black and they hide any grime quite well.

Agree with dinkus, the foilatec stuff is awsome if done correctly, almost if they have been powder coated.

Me personally think silver as its neutral and almost OE.

And as for gettin them dirty well this car rarely sees dirt so dont think that'll be a problem, 8) A good squirt with a bit of motor cycle degreaser and a fettle with a funny shaped brush and its OOOHHH! they look nice :lol: