Sign in to follow this  
KADVR6

F.T.A.O 312mm brake owners

go and check that your hoses are not rubbing on the inner arch STRAIGHT AWAY. mine have been rubbing un-noticed by me, until i was approaching a very busy island doing about 50mph. went to brake, and i heard a loud hissing sound, followed by no brakes at all :shock: went through 2 sets of red lights, missed about 8 cars that were going round the island. and virtually s**t myself.

please go and check your hoses........

karl

cheers guys, just so glad that,

A, my car is not smashed up.

B, i'm still alive.

yes, that is the order of importance :lol:

i think the beers tonight will taste even sweeter, just gotta find somewhere on a sunday that does brake hoses :?

karl

:shock: Scary stuff mate!

Could have been so much worse though.

How long have you had the brakes on??

ok, i have found out why this happened. when i got them fitted (at a garage :mad: ) the complete offside brake set up from a 2001 mk4 was used. but on the nearside (side where hose wore through) the hose was no good?? so they fitted one from a TT, the TT hoses are 55mm longer than the hoses on a mk4 for some reason. hence why it was rubing on the inside arch.

lets just say i will be phoning the garage in the morning.

so everyone, please check you hoses..

as for bleeding the brakes, what a nightmare.

karl

And the ultimate crusher if you did crash it would be the ins company not paying out because of the incorrect hoses!! They would defo use that as an excuse....

Anyway, glad nothing drastic happened.

Goodridge hoses are stronger but you still need to make sure they don't touch the inner wing as dirt can get between the stainless braids and cause abrasion havoc over time. Best to wrap some flexible silicon tubing round them. Goodridges will also chew your underseal away very quickly if they're allowed to rub.

Bloody hell Karl! :shock: glad you survived it mate! Although you could of atleast crashed the car so i could have ya charger :roll::lol: only jokin mate im glad the car survived as well!

Blimey mate - just seen this and that doesn't look very nice at all!

Glad the car's ok tho :lol:

I've got braided Goodridge hoses on mine and they came with rubber sleeving on them already... but that'll still wear away if they're rubbing...

Edit: Oh and make sure you wash that wheel arch thoroughly - brake fluid will strip the paint off anything it touches!

shouldnt you still have some braking power? I lost a line in my old volvo and the other 3 still functioned normally. Ebrake can be cautiously applied too.

Would someone post up which Goodrich lines are required to do the conversion (safely!), please, or amend the wiki, which says to use the Goodrich Mk2 To Mk4 conversion lines, if appropriate? The Goodrich Mk2 to 4 conversion kit is designed for the rear, which can be confusing (me!). Can't you just use Mk4 front lines?