Sign in to follow this  
craigowl

Scottish Highlands - Pics & when to visit

Just spent four days camping (!!?) in my favourite area in West Highlands.

This is one of wettest areas of UK with rainfall up to 5 times that of London.

However, (tip to Corrado-forum members) best time to go for highest chance of good weather, few midges and less tourists is May to first two weeks of June.

Pics to follow.

Thanks for that constructive criticism, dr_mat - 8) :thumb right: I noticed that after editing in paintshop pro and will improve them later. I am not au fait fully with the pros and cons of various tricks the editing software packages can do.

Would've been best leaving them without editing?

On the whole, though, very pleased with results from "new" camera - Canon IXUS 850IS.

Movies are good, too, though when panning, image is sometimes a bit wavy.

Any technical comments advice from you appreciated.

Stunning pics, very different to the local scenery down this way. I'd love to have a holiday up there sometime.

[[

Off topic really, but .. waviness during panning in movie mode isn't unusual - it's cos of the way it reads data off the chip one line at a time, moving down the frame.. This can also be caused by the IS system - it's not quite sure whether your movement is supposed to be there or not, so it tries to counteract it ..

I'm very much one for minimal editing, so I'd say leave them as-is - at least until you're really used to what the camera produces and decide you can do better ;) The camera probably did quite a lot of sharpening/gamma correction/colour enhancement itself anyway.

(Though I'm not averse to fixing the odd bit of over/under exposure when I'm processing camera raw files!)

I would guess that you selected a high compression ratio for output? Or is that a "web" photo output macro or something? Not sure of the ins+outs of your particular app tho.

]]

Now that a westerly airstream has replaced the easterly of last week, see what the weather in the Glencoe area is like now by clicking "access 2200" on the following page:

http://www.glencoemountain.com/store/pages.php?pageid=8

Unfortunately, as most of you know, westerly is our prevailing airstream, so the mountains of Wales, Western Scotland and the Lake District most commonly have the weather shown by the webcam today.

Visit these districts when an easterly spell is forecast if you want dry, sunny weather. Sometimes can be a bit too hot, though, with haze spoiling views.