chazrad

Charlie's Corrado VR6 Turbo

Having completed 1200 miles of running-in, the car was back at the The Phirm for a check over last week. After an oil and filter change and a sump-off inspection for swarf, Matt for C2 Motosports took the car out to check the mapping at various boost settings. I'm delighted to report that it 'performed as he'd hoped', so once again, we're off having turbo fun...

Looking forward to the VR6OC RR day at Stealth this coming weekend.

Excellent, Charlie! Worth the wait ;) Will be interesting to see what she's putting out...

Coming to any shows this year?

Excellent, Charlie! Worth the wait ;) Will be interesting to see what she's putting out...

Coming to any shows this year?

Hi buddy,

Yup, hoping to get to Stoner in June. Not sure what else I can get to. Looking forward to moving back over to Wiltshire so we can do a few more local meets again...

Congratulations :D Been a long time since I have run in an engine, but it's just so much better when you get the chance to put your foot down! :D

A couple of photos after finally getting around to fitting my new RS reps to the Mk3 Golf daily driver. Very pleased with how they look. At the same time as an oil and filter change, Tim at the Phirm welded a steel plate onto a spare VR sump and swapped them over; - the previous owner had ground the sump and it had always slightly weeped. It weeps no more!

Thanks again to the Phirm for their help working out spacer requirements then for helping to fit the wheels and sorting out the geometry late on a beautiful Saturday afternoon.

Looking very smart, how did you get on at the RR day? Any figures for us to drool over?

Alas, the Stealth RR day at the start of May was cancelled through lack of interest which I found extraordinary and disappointing. So no, no graphs or numbers at the moment. I will try and get the VRT dyno'd sometime soon though.

Happy New Year to you all.

Well, the Rado is away for the winter, SORN'd and I finally managed to make room in the garage to put the old girl away. The new interior is not long coming now, hopefully fitted by end of this month. Shame I won't be able to enjoy it on the road until later this year.

Delighted with the results of the RR day at Stealth at the end of November: made 378bhp and 403lbft at a bar of boost, so performing well. And I'm loving the smoothness on OBD2 over the issues it had on the DTA. Just the paint left to sort now.

Hi Charlie,

what new interior you fitting?? and said it once but will say it again this is still one of my favourite corrados on here, it just does it for me lol

Great figures for the RR Charlie! What are the BBS Reps that you are running? Maxxim Remembers? Calibre Vintage?

Hi Charlie,

what new interior you fitting?? and said it once but will say it again this is still one of my favourite corrados on here, it just does it for me lol

Karl, I'll stick some pics upwhen it is finally finished and fitted. Shouldn't be long now. I'm sticking with beige/cream leather though.

...And the BBS reps on the Golf are Calibre Vintage, fitted with 11mm hubcentric spacers to clear the 288s, and running some camber to get them under the arches. I love 'em.

Delighted with the results of the RR day at Stealth at the end of November: made 378bhp and 403lbft at a bar of boost, so performing well.

Good result :thumbleft:

Watch the gearbox with that much torque!

Back from being away for 6 months. Time to get the car out of the garage and start using it again. Insurance, MOT and tax to sort out and it starts tomorrow...

Hey Charley - great to hear that you're back :) Was only just talking with Eric the other day and we were trying to work out if it was 6 or 12 months you'd be away... hope all is well and look forward to catching up at a meet of some kind either over the coming months or into next year.

At least the temperature has dropped right off so you'll be getting lots of lovely cool air to feed the beast :)

Hey Charlie been reading through your thread for the first time the rado looks very sorted, noticed your green vr golf was that you that I was following yesterday from chippenham to calne at about 5pm?

Thanks guys. It good to be back safely. Looking forward to getting the car in for its MOT and getting some insurance on it - main task for tomorrow.

Hey Charlie been reading through your thread for the first time the rado looks very sorted, noticed your green vr golf was that you that I was following yesterday from chippenham to calne at about 5pm?

Thanks matey. No is wasn't me, I'm afraid. I've yet to give the Golf a run of note; only going back and forth to the office at the moment. Can't wait for a dr cold day to give the Rado a real blast and remind myself why its such fun to drive.

Corrado went through the MOT fine last Weds. Amazing given I drove it straight out of the garage after 6 months away direct to the test centre. Off to The Phirm on Monday for a couple of bits and pieces. Some new wheels in the pipeline too...

Shame Charlie - it looks stunning on its current wheels!

Jim,

Not planning on gettng rid of the wheels. Isee them going on the Golf in the short term. In to The Phirm for a race cat and some other minor fetttling later today...

Had one of Dave's short shifters fitted (without cutting up the car), had the full beam massively improved and fitted my new set of wheels. Delighted with all the updates. The short throw and a little fettling to the mechanism has made it beautifully tight and like a rifle bolt. Highly recommended. The improved full beam was essential because the dipped beam - with the HIDs - is so good. The Phirm did their usual oustanding job, and Tim wired in essentially an uprated loom. The difference is night and day. Finally, the new wheels are ace. Compomotives 1780 in 17x8 ET35 made up to order wearing Yoko Parada Spec2s. While the wheels were off, I wasted time cleaning up the arches. Luckily the roads were much drier for the journey home, although the whole car needs a good wash after seeing some use recently.

In other news, I've got a new daily which I'm settling in with. I love my Mk3 but feel that this is a step up. Needs a few little touches but I'm reassured I've bought a good one.

A couple of pics from yesterday:

Just read through your thread mate and have to say nice setup i myself have dta running an r32 in my C but know all too well about cold starts but as i haven't had mine long and am not aware about what mapping has been done in the past i am not writing off the dta it is going to a dta agent overnight so he can see what it is like in morning's at the moment it is no doubt running rich and proper mapping is required i also have the s60 on mine but have been told it is not the best for 6 cylinder engine's more for 4 so will be looking to get the s60 exchanged for an s80 like Kevin Bacon was running on his as too idleing once it has warmed the idle is very stable.(like the wheel's mate i am running matt black 16" th's as i feel the ride is better on 16's running 45 series tyres as opposed to 40's) hopefully our path's will cross in the coming season would be interesting (by the way how does your car go on getting all that power down without any lsd ?) Cheer's

James.