Sign in to follow this  
DUBST4R

Which is faster; Rado VR6 v Honda Civic Type R..?

I had a little race in my late VR Rado with a mate of mine who has a 'Type R' although i had 2 passengers, he did me!!..took off in 2nd and was drifting off even more in 3rd gear, so his 3rd gear appeared stronger too!!..It P'd me right off as i didn't expect to beat him, but thought we would be side by side...

Basically his motor has covered 32K and mine 62K miles, so i can't really say my VR hasn't run in..I haven't changed the plugs since owning her, so was thinking that might have something to do with the performance of her..?

Now over to you guys, what do you think..?

sounds about right for the driving you were doing.

i blasted around the ring road with a ctr in front of me. on the straights i was behind him, but on the roundabouts id have had him away. in a standard car, once the vtec's kicked in, you've gotta wait till your both over a ton if you wanna catch up.

hmm - when my g60 was standard i couldnt take a CTR but there wasn't much in it. i would have thought a std vr should take one.

Hmm, I don't know why anyone would imagine a 190bhp 1200kg Corrado VR6 would be quicker than a 220 ish bhp 1200kg Civic Type R. Neither of them have great aerodynamics, and particularly if you've two passengers you're actually a 1350kg Corrado VR6 ...

The VR has more flexibility, particularly with a VGI/VSR, but once your CTR drivers gets into his power band you'll be trailing all day long. On the bends too.

ive beaten both my mate civic r type and a focus st in my vr, but they both drive like girls and wash there cars more times than drive them! :lol:

got spanked for tring my luck with mate mates skyline r33 gts on the same nite though :( :)

Hmm, I don't know why anyone would imagine a 190bhp 1200kg Corrado VR6 would be quicker than a 220 ish bhp 1200kg Civic Type R. Neither of them have great aerodynamics, and particularly if you've two passengers you're actually a 1350kg Corrado VR6 ...

The VR has more flexibility, particularly with a VGI/VSR, but once your CTR drivers gets into his power band you'll be trailing all day long. On the bends too.

Civic Type-R's are under 200bhp I thought :? ,with bugger all torque too

197 bhp

Having chased a few CTR's round Knockhill I can honestly say there a bit faster than a standard vr down the straights. I was pretty similar to them in the bends with a fair few suspension mods, so they would trounce a standard vr on the corners.

Beware... Those CTR's are fast!!! They are slightly flat down the bottom end but fook me once over 4k they rev all the way to the limiter at IIRC 9k :shock:

If your going to race... try and get him on a motorway where your both over 70ish... Then ask him who's the daddy :lol:

197 bhp

I stand corrected.. wasn't sure, tbh, but I figured it was around there.

Like Joe I saw a CTR or two on the track and the VR had the legs on him at the start of the straight (he hadn't kept his revs high enough).. but as soon as he got the revs up he easily wafted past me..

The lack of torque is not a problem. After all an F1 car produces "only" 250 lbft (ish) (from a 2.4 v8!), but you wouldn't call one slow .. ;)

I dont think they are all that, i have had the edge on a CTR before, same with a focus ST. The Civic has 197bhp mine has 203bhp and the civic only has 140lb/ft where as my vr has 196 and the corrados only slightly heavier really so i dont see how one could easily beat a vr really. I have even kept with a 350Z before and they are 280bhp!

Although soon i wont have to worry about any of these cars and will be chasing M3's :twisted:

As i drive a CTR as my daily driver i would say there isn't much difference but would say they have different characteristics thtas why i bought one as a different driving experience.

Although soon i wont have to worry about any of these cars and will be chasing M3's :twisted:

Believe it or not... There's a guy near me that's got an E36 M3 and for some reason we always seem to meet when I was out in the car.... Never really spoken to the guy but always used to race each other through the carraige ways.... He could never loose me and at times I used to have the edge.... I must admit though for some strange reason my Corrado VR was very quick for standard!!! Mileage was high and engine rev'd very freely.....

It's easy to 'have' certain cars in a vr, even ones that should be quicker - it's down to the other driver being a big girl's blouse most of the time. So it's a bit of a dodgy way to compare cars performance really.

But it's about a lot more than power/weight. Cars like the CTR are gonna be quicker most of the time with the same driver. It's down to power throughout the rev range (maybe not the CTR, but others such as ST etc), throttle response, chassis, suspension, etc - the rado is a twenty year old design afterall. And a vr weighs more like 1275+kg rather than the 1200 quoted earlier (1800kg for Kev's car with all the sound proofing and power-creating gubbins :) )

Still a fookin great car though! :)

The lack of torque is not a problem. After all an F1 car produces "only" 250 lbft (ish) (from a 2.4 v8!), but you wouldn't call one slow .. ;)

and a F1 car weighs??? :D :D

Without the passengers reckon you'd have been pretty even. Reckon the VR is definately faster for 'real world' everyday type driving. You have to keep the CTR on the boil the whole time to be quick. The VR has a slightly better 0-60mph time according to Evo.

I drove a mates ctr a while back and i have to say you definitely don't need to keep them on the boil for them to shove a bit. I'd read all the hipe in the mags that they do fook all in the low revs, but that was utter cr*p! I was expecting an "This isn't very fast is iiiiiiIIIIIIIIT...Woah" experience! But you only had to look at the throttle and it'd be off. Defo not flat low down. Maybe something to do with his being the facelifted ctr which Honda fettled, i think by fitting a lighter flywheel to improve low end pull due to the lowly torque figure.

I was driving a 255bhp JDM GT4 at the time but you could still feel that vtec kick in :shock:

I've never had the pleasure of driving a vr but i wouldn't have thought a bog standard ctr and vr would be much different in speed. Just a totally different power delivery.

i have owned and obviously drove both and they are a differant drive altogether and ealry type r is deffo slower until vtec kicks in!! dont think there is that much in them tbh they are 2 differant cars to drive imho.

either way isn't it more impressive that the corrado was acheiving what a lot of cars these days boast about, over 10yrs ago 8)

If I was gonna go for a Japanese car it would be the Integra type R over the CTR every time. Now that's a car that handles well.