Sign in to follow this  
Andy665

Alonsos tactics - legal but not exactly sporting

According to a McLaren Press Release, Hamilton was requested to allow Alonso through once they'd filtered out of the pit lane

The whole of F1 has gone down in my estimations. It's too political and dull now. This whole "allowing" your team mate to win/pass/crash/give up/die nonsense is one reason why. I'm sure in one race recently, think it was Hamilton ahead of Alonso and he was told to slow down to let Alonso win. WTF? Why? What's the point of having two cars and drivers in the team then?

F1 used to be purely driver skill and the quality/reliability of the cars..... now it's all boring tactics and celebratory status.

Well it's more interesting than the (mostly dull) racing in F1.

Look at the press this morning: Alonso, double world champion, supposedly the best driver in the world, signed to the best team in F1, with one of the biggest salaries, crying like a baby that he'll quit if he doesn't win.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/motor_ra ... 843913.ece

Waaaaaaa ! Mummmyyyyy ! Waaaaaaah ! Waaaaaah!

What an absolute cry-baby. A real racing driver would just get in the car and kick Hamilton's arse next race.

The whole of F1 has gone down in my estimations. It's too political and dull now. This whole "allowing" your team mate to win/pass/crash/give up/die nonsense is one reason why.

yessss. Lets always remember that this is the F1 world championship.

Easy to say but it just means the world top drivers in the best cars in the world fighting to be the number one. This is no easy game or no child game. fight has to be feroceous and winner is only one. this does not have to be a gentelmans game or a friendly game.

i think that the limits are set too low and competition is just too little.

The whole of F1 has gone down in my estimations. It's too political and dull now. This whole "allowing" your team mate to win/pass/crash/give up/die nonsense is one reason why.

yessss. Lets always remember that this is the F1 world championship.

Easy to say but it just means the world top drivers in the best cars in the world fighting to be the number one. This is no easy game or no child game. fight has to be feroceous and winner is only one. this does not have to be a gentelmans game or a friendly game.

i think that the limits are set too low and competition is just too little.

I think the point that many are trying to make is that Alonso is acting like a Spoilt Brat! Reminds me a bit Of Prost and Mansell when they were together as team mates at Ferrari! Prost swapping cars with Mansell as Mansell's was faster etc etc!

If alonso wants to throw his toys out of the pram thats fine but He'll earn a great deal more respect If he puts his money where his mouth is and beats Hamilton Fair and Square on the Track!

Reminds me a bit Of Prost and Mansell when they were together as team mates at Ferrari! Prost swapping cars with Mansell as Mansell's was faster etc etc!

But in those days the racing was exciting to watch. They took more risks, destroyed more cars, hit eachother in the pits and acted like a man's man (except Damon Hill obviously). Now they're a bunch of pussy whipped celebs out for a nice little jaunt being told what to do and when to do it.

If alonso wants to throw his toys out of the pram thats fine but He'll earn a great deal more respect If he puts his money where his mouth is and beats Hamilton Fair and Square on the Track!

He won't though, hasn't got the guts to carve him up in the bends! He'll just sit there waiting for a mechanical failure, or an instruction for Hamilton to slow down.....it's about the only way you can get a decisive win these days. Schumacher was pretty much the only driver since F1 went dull to have the minerals to pull off aggressive manouvres.....and get away with it, so he's a sad loss to the sport....

Reminds me a bit Of Prost and Mansell when they were together as team mates at Ferrari! Prost swapping cars with Mansell as Mansell's was faster etc etc!

But in those days the racing was exciting to watch. They took more risks, destroyed more cars, hit eachother in the pits and acted like a man's man (except Damon Hill obviously). Now they're a bunch of pussy whipped celebs out for a nice little jaunt being told what to do and when to do it.

He won't though, hasn't got the guts to carve him up in the bends! He'll just sit there waiting for a mechanical failure, or an instruction for Hamilton to slow down.....it's about the only way you can get a decisive win these days. Schumacher was pretty much the only driver since F1 went dull to have the minerals to pull off aggressive manouvres.....and get away with it, so he's a sad loss to the sport....[/quote:7d8c2]

There have been no team orders in Mclaren this season with regard to Hamiliton making way for Alonso in a race, as for great drivers yeah it is all a bit too regulated these days but it is with everything. You would never get someone like James Hunt in F1 again, drove pi$$ed most of the time but also drove an entire race with no gearknob and ended up shredding his hand to bits on the end of the sheared gear lever - won the race too.

Hamilton is a very interesting driver to watch, takes some real risks in overtaking and does it where most people wont even think about it. That and this season both Mclaren and Ferrari are close in mechanical terms, as well as Alonso and Hamilton fighting for points in the same team - smacks of classic F1 Prost and Senna or Mansell and Prost IMHO.

I'm not condoning F1 as a contact sport but it's important to consider that a modern F1 car is nowhere near as robust in a car-to-car contact situation than they were 15 years ago due to all the extra carbonfibre, particularly in the suspension componants.

What is absolutely fascinating about the Alonso/Lewis situation is that battle for psychological supremacy between team mates is there for all to see. It's an old cliche but a racing driver's biggest challenge is beating his own team mate. Everyone wants to believe they are the fastest driver out there and nothing hurts more than being beaten in the same machinery. Everything we've seen recently is about Alonso/Lewis believing in thier own minds who is actually fastest out of the two of them. Once a driver comes to believe that another driver is actually a faster driver than him, then that's the beginning of the end and it's harder when both the drivers involved are still so young as these two.

I remember reading an interview with Jonathan Palmer many years ago when he talked about his career. As he rose through the ranks Palmer was probably the most gifted and fast driver of his generation. Even as got into his F1 career with Zakspeed, ATS and then into Tyrrell he always believed that he was actually the fastest driver, albeit fighting to get an uncompetitive car as far up the field as possible.

Then in his second year at Tyrrell, Ken Tyrrell recruited a young french driver called Jean Alesi into the team as Palmer's team-mate. Alesi was simply a faster driver, and Palmer realised there would be no way he would ever be world champion so long as Alesi was driving. That fact led Palmer to retire before the end of the season, not only from F1, but also from top level motorsport altogether. Looking back on it now Palmer's decision was probably one of the most bravest, intelligent and considered decisions by a racing driver at the height of his career.

I dare to suggest that Alonso's current behaviour can be traced back to the same thing. He's a very young driver, with two world championships behind him, who now believes deep down inside that Hamilton is a faster driver and there's nothing he can do about it. It's absolutely tragic when you think about it.

You would never get someone like James Hunt in F1 again, drove pi$$ed most of the time but also drove an entire race with no gearknob and ended up shredding his hand to bits on the end of the sheared gear lever - won the race too.

:lol: Quality! I don't remember F1 from that period (not saying you're ancient, LOL!), it's the 80s F1 I remember best, Senna and Arnoux having physical battles with their cars round the corners and things.....you just don't see that these days, unless it's accidental!

Hamilton is a very interesting driver to watch, takes some real risks in overtaking and does it where most people wont even think about it. That and this season both Mclaren and Ferrari are close in mechanical terms, as well as Alonso and Hamilton fighting for points in the same team - smacks of classic F1 Prost and Senna or Mansell and Prost IMHO.

Have only seen about 10 mins of one of his races, tbh, I got fed up with seeing his face on the break screens every 10 mins on ITV....talk about overhyping someone. The boy has talent for sure, everyone can see it, but it's a shame when petite political agendas get in the way of the racing.....

You would never get someone like James Hunt in F1 again, drove pi$$ed most of the time but also drove an entire race with no gearknob and ended up shredding his hand to bits on the end of the sheared gear lever - won the race too.

:lol: Quality! I don't remember F1 from that period (not saying you're ancient, LOL!), it's the 80s F1 I remember best, Senna and Arnoux having physical battles with their cars round the corners and things.....you just don't see that these days, unless it's accidental!

Have only seen about 10 mins of one of his races, tbh, I got fed up with seeing his face on the break screens every 10 mins on ITV....talk about overhyping someone. The boy has talent for sure, everyone can see it, but it's a shame when petite political agendas get in the way of the racing.....

I never saw the race just remember reading about it after he died, quality commentator too, especially when he used to correct Murray on a regular basis. Watching Senna was fantastic, especially in the wet.

As Corozin has already said modern cars are just designed on too tight a tolerance and most teams have simulated track day set-ups to the nth degree in modern F1, as such the true pioneering spirit of both R&D and seat of the pants racing is gone.

Worst thing that ever happended to F1 was moving to ITV, that and James Allen. (Stop the cock!!) But it's the same as any other major sporting event, targeted adverts to the audience from the people 'doing' the sport they are watching. Aimed at the majority of the population that are stupid enough to be taken in by it :(

Well it's more interesting than the (mostly dull) racing in F1.

Look at the press this morning: Alonso, double world champion, supposedly the best driver in the world, signed to the best team in F1, with one of the biggest salaries, crying like a baby that he'll quit if he doesn't win.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/motor_ra ... 843913.ece

Waaaaaaa ! Mummmyyyyy ! Waaaaaaah ! Waaaaaah!

What an absolute cry-baby. A real racing driver would just get in the car and kick Hamilton's arse next race.

bell end tbh.

have to agree with others - I used to watch it without fail years ago in the days of senna et al - now its pretty weak by comparison.

James Hunt autobiography is an excellent read if anyone is interested and sadly McRae's rather dull.

:D

Brands Hatch Track Day on Tuesday - can't wait !!