Sign in to follow this  
tommy long

G60 or VR6

Im looking at getting a corrado yet am undecided on what model i should go for.

Both engines are fantastic and they both have there pros in totally different ways.

First the vr6. I love the low down grunt from it and how smooth it pulls through the rev range and also that growl it has when on song. Yet tuning wise ive heard can be exspensive and to get good power gains and figures out of it you need to spend a fair wad of cheddar. The vr6's are a newer car than the g60 so you shouldnt have as much wear from the rest of the vehicle.

Now the g60. I love these little engines (little compared to the vr6). I love the whine you get from these and that you hear a change in engine note when around 3500rpm. I think these are fantastic engines. I like the fact that you can get good bhp to the dollar with them and that aslong as you keep the 'charger serviced you've got yourself a really good engine.

I just wanted other peoples opions on there corrados and what they think of there's as im 50/50 on both.

Any opinions will be great.

Thanks Tommy.

You should really use the search for this as it is discussed fairly frequently! It all comes down to personal preference. Drive both, and see what YOU think. Opinions can't help you decide on something that ultimately comes down to whether you prefer one over the other!

VR6 for me though ;)

Ive driven both and love both of them yet am probably more tempted to the vr6 as the sound is so addictive and also its a newer car.

I just wanted other peoples opions on what they thought of there cars and if anyone has had both and what they thought about the two?.

I think you've summed it up quite well yourself and having driven both, I'd say you're probably the best person to answer the question!

No one on here can tell you what car to buy and generally those with a VR will say buy a VR and those with a G60 will say buy a G60! It just depends what you're looking for.

Personally I'd be looking for a nice VR that's had lots of money already spent on it ... and then chuck on a Schrick. Should be enough bhp and torque to keep most people happy. Just stay away from Cheeswire, CrazyDave et al ;)

If you're fifty fifty on both mate just go for either one as long as it's a tidy car and has been well looked after. I love my G60 to bits (which is good cos pretty soon it's gonna get taken to bits). I've never driven a VR6 but if I did I doubt very much that I would find it a distasteful experience. I don't think personally you can go wrong with either of them.

i would have either tbh,

if i was in the situation to be buyin all over again, i would get the best spec of either i could afford,an with whats been for sale @ the mo theres been a few spec'd up vr6's about @ decent prices

gotta be g60 with a screw charger then you have no rebuilt costs (main reason for shying away from a G lader) you could do it for less than the cost of a VR which quite frankly arent inspiring to drive at all in std form.

I'd buy a 16v...

A bold and provocative statement.

They are underrated really. Can't wait to have mine back on the road again, the vr is nice for cruising around, but th valver is more fun.

I like the 16v too, driven a VR, but not a G60, although I drove my mates mk1 G60, so I know how the engine feels, I like the 16vs characteristics more, just not the power, which is why I'm turboing mine....

Best bet is to buy a VR6 and strap a G-lader to it, best of both worlds :lol:

I can't see why anyone would recomend a 16v for any reason tbh other than on the whole the initial purchase prices are slightly lower

Best bet is to buy a VR6 and strap a G-lader to it, best of both worlds :lol:

I can't see why anyone would recomend a 16v for any reason tbh other than on the whole the initial purchase prices are slightly lower

And you don't have to worry about supercharger services, or have the (somewhat unfounded) worry of chains and tensioners. ;)

I got given a book for my birthday last month, full of contemporary reviews of each Corrado model, and one thing that struck me was how poorly received the G60 engine was by the motoring press at the time! It seems that when the VR6 came out, there was a collective sigh of relief as "the Corrado finally has the engine to back up it's handling".

Made me think a bit, it did!

what you need is a 240 bhp g60,, best of both worlds..

Except it will break within a matter of months, if not days ;)

I have a strange desire to buy myself a G60 as a second Corrado. That way I can get rid of all worries, drive the G and thing there's no expensive chain job to do then drive the VR and be thankful I don't have to rip the G Lader off every 40K for a rebuild. Problem solved?

must admit i never even looked at any other models when considering a corrado, it was a corrado vr6 i wanted, didn't drive the g60 nor look into them. and the 16v wasn't what i wanted in a car performance wise.

like already said your the best person to choose.

how much power do you want if your tuning it? it

I have a strange desire to buy myself a G60 as a second Corrado. That way I can get rid of all worries, drive the G and thing there's no expensive chain job to do then drive the VR and be thankful I don't have to rip the G Lader off every 40K for a rebuild. Problem solved?

Strange that as i have wondered bout having a VR6 as my 2nd to get more fuel economy :lol:

Strange that as i have wondered bout having a VR6 as my 2nd to get more fuel economy :lol:

I average around 26mpg on V Power with the VR, can't say I ever consider economy when I buy a car though else I'd have a diesel dog :shock: I bought a chipped S3 when I was last working in UK for the weekly drag from Chesterfield to Sandwich, Kent. It averaged about 29mpg over 22K miles in the 15 months I had it! Good for the Shell points.