__Andy__

Been a while.....03/05/2018

Which crank bearings did you use? I know there are some that can lead to premature engine death. Not that I'm trying to scare you. Does look a good job :)

all bearings are original equipment tom, didnt want to use anything else.. all german parts :D

Wow, Andy! That's some serious hard work you've put in there- will finish the car off really nicely- the rest was looking really good already when I saw it 8)

Wow, Andy! That's some serious hard work you've put in there- will finish the car off really nicely- the rest was looking really good already when I saw it 8)

cheers andy, the engine was the next thing on the list, although it was gd i wanted it to be as good as the rest of the car. im really excited to see the way it drives once its done, i know i could of easily put a differnt engine in but i wanted to keep it all original so that if i ever do sell it i can put it back to standard.

shame you sold the valver, v nice vr tho..

small update then..

took ages to get the piston ring lands cleaned up but now done, new rings in, new con rod bearings in, cleaned up sump and baffle plate, pistons back in,oil pump in, sump and plate bolted down, flywheel cleaned up and re-fitted...

head completely dissassembled ready for porting, will then be vaporblasted to clean it up as its pretty dirty. coming along nicely now, already looks so much better then it did when it came out..cant wait to drive it again..

as title then, big update.. bottom end is now back together..few stainless bolts here and there. new clutch is on, have cleaned all the valves and lapped them all... what a job that was! head is now ported and polished. have treated all the blacks and rubbers in the bay, little tidy up in the bay too. changed the steering rack mount for the poly bush one. bought a new rad today but sadly dg are out of stock of the laser cut fan bracket at the moment so that and the slimline fan will have to wait...

got a little present for the car once its finished, and got a pressie from the powdercoaters today...

good work fella! Am really enjoying watching this come together 8)

cheers dan appreciate it..hows yours doin? looks sweet on the borbet's. ive still got that bumper...lol.

Good work Andy, and good photos.When do you think she'll be back together then?

thanks andy, im not gona tempt fate and say when it should be back together.. but keep checking the thread as big updates should be very soon... :)

hows your fleet? lisa still enjoying the blackberry?

nice work, what did you get done on the head then?

cheers dude, headwise we sucked sand into it when it was running... im joking. head has been ported and lightly polished without disturbing the intake volume too much.. valve guides inlet side have been profiled. didnt go too mad on the head tbh but took a fair amount out. should mate quite nicely to the four branch, kr cams and decat..not chasing figures with it this time as i have other plans in the future...

Looks like it's all coming together, mate! Excellent work :)

thanks andy.. if i can get it to half as good as your last valver ill be v pleased 8)

not chasing figures with it this time as i have other plans in the future...

intruiging, turbo or transplant? :norty:

not chasing figures with it this time as i have other plans in the future...

intruiging, turbo or transplant? :norty:[/quote

the original engine will be staying, not gona say anything more just yet..

just cant wait for it to be finshed. 8)

quick little update then... i gave the head a gd clean up the other nite.. i used gunk, bilt hamber surfex hd and a little ag engine degreaser. really pleased with how the head came up, didnt have time to fully go to town on the chambers but they are clean enough for now. had the head skimmed last nite and will be commencing the head rebuild tonight. refitted the throttle body to the inlet and the fifth injector etc to the lower inlet..

had a productive evening last nite, re-fitted all the valves tappets etc, new head bolts and gasket all torqued down. its starting to come together now and am pleased with the way its looking :) heres a load of pics from last nite... am off back to the workshop :D

Looks great, wish I had the skills to do the work on mine, and you gotta love the desperados ;)

cheers dude, tbh most of it is pretty straight forward.. just got to be very systematic with it... but v handy having the forum on tap and there is a lot of knowledgeable people on here that are always more then willing to help :D

as title then shes finished, well almost. :D ...few more pics of the final stages of the rebuild, cams in new chain fitted..gearbox bolted up..cam belt and tensioner on and timed up..brand new belt cover on..new cv joints all round..four branch modified with correct flange and heatwrapped (nasty stuff!!)..decat pipe made from scrtach which was a pita!... sadly theres no pictures of the engine in yet due to the bonnet cable snapping :mad2: also i still have to rewrap all the wiring looms as the old loom tapes were terrible and pretty much disintegrated when putting the engine back in. still got a few jobs to do yet, have fitted the new ball joints, havent done the tie rods or tie rod ends yet or any of the polybush's other then the steering rack..however i think im going to run with these bush's for a bit longer as they are still in gd condition. am desperately trying to get a laser fan bracket from DG Autotech so i can ditch the horrible manky fan and shroud and a vr rad cover to tidy things up a little bit.

as for how it drives and runs... i couldnt be happier the differnce is night and day.. its so so much smoother then before, the power delivery is so much differnt and best of all its much much quicker then it was before, it revs much more freely and sounds fantastic with the four branch and decat. the new wheels are on and its finally starting to look how i always wanted it to. am hoping to do the wiring and sort the bonnet cable at the weekend.. will ut pics of the engine up then... for now heres the pics of the last few bits and bobs..

nice one dude, wish i had the time and resources to do this.

did you clean all the engine bay up and re-wrap/reroute any of the looms?

be good to see some bay pics.

looks like a "proper job" :thumbleft:

nice one dude, wish i had the time and resources to do this.

did you clean all the engine bay up and re-wrap/reroute any of the looms?

be good to see some bay pics.

looks like a "proper job" :thumbleft:

i gave the bay a v brief clean up..but didnt go to town on it as i just didnt have the time. i havent re-routed any wires either but that can be done if need be when i re-wrap the looms..

ive done all this on top of a full time job mostly working 6 days a week :cuckoo: , purely week nights and the odd weekend..as you can imagine some late nights too.. am pretty happy ive managed to turn it around in just under 8 weeks... :D.