Sign in to follow this  
bananawhip

Ebay VR6 Powerchip feedback

i have a L reg 1993 VR6 and was wondering where i should get one from and if mine is soldered in, how do i change it?

What to do is go and check your ECU number first. Its on a sticker on the ECU box usually 9 or so numbers with a could of letter afters wards like CP or AG.

Eventually got my chip through from this guy and my corrado wont run with it in! Put the old chip back in and its fine. It will start then just die. Seeing as the old chip is going with the charger I sold I am now left with a non running fecking corrado!!! :mad2:

That's because your immobiliser was unauthorised by the ECU. I assume yours has the factory imob being a 95 car?

The fix:-

Go to adaptation

Click Read

Click Save

Close VAG-COM

Start car

Job done.

I really want to get a chip, i've emailed a guy on ebay but no reply.

Ive heard the 1994-1995 vr6 chips are soldered in, is this true?

I know i could get my ecu out and have a look, dont fancy disturbing it yet tho.

If you wait then I might have one available or even better a Stealth generic remap. My car is in thee garage today and I may be getting rid of one or the other of the chips.

If you wait then I might have one available or even better a Stealth generic remap. My car is in thee garage today and I may be getting rid of one or the other of the chips.

ah right, cool, pm me if your selling one of them, do they work with a non standrd vr6, ie, induction kit, de-cat etc.?

One is the ebay chip and the other I just bought from Leon on here, its set up for and exhaust/induction kit and cams but I want to try that again first.

Check your ECU number first. Oh and car didnt get into garage as they couldnt start the car, reason being the chip was loose :brickwall:

Ressurecting this thread. I bought one of these chips of glen, arrived today, so thought id whip out the ecu and see what needs soldering. Pleasantly surprised to see it wasn't the soldered in type! :D :D

Swapped over the chip, took it for a spin, massive improvement i reckon. Feels a lot more responsive than it used to, and when you drop it down a gear to overtake it goes like stink! Seems to rev more freely too. Well impressed, got to be the best £20 ive spent on the corrado! and i know you dont get much corrado for £20!! Cant wait to get my SP263 cams in now that i also got for a steal off ADZ_VR6 :salute:

i know, for £20 i didnt expect much but it really has gave it a bit more kick, just doesnt seem as lazy anymore,less flatspots and better revving

I don't understand why people keep bringing up the price of it :confused4:

It is a copy of a much much more expensive chip, whether it costs £1 or £400 it is still a remap on a chip, simple as

Obviously it is a lot of bang for your buck as it costs £380 less then it should

I wonder how the people who originally programmed the chip in the first place are faring. Noy nice to spend a loy of time doing it for someone to rip you off.

I wonder how the people who originally programmed the chip in the first place are faring. Noy nice to spend a loy of time doing it for someone to rip you off.

AMD are rumoured to be the original authors of the chip but there's no way of proving that.

Every company like them who do rechips encrypt their software so it can't be copied, so someone has been a bit naughty.

At the end of the day writing a generic map takes a matter of hours from what I gather, if a specific map is just an afternoon on the dyno then how do they justify the price tag by putting a generic one on a chip that costs them next to nothing.

Chips cost like $100 in the U.S, if they cost £50-£100 quid over here then people would be less inclined to buy them off eBay, they don't unfortunately so needs must.

My Corrado has a cheapy ebay chip fitted, 135k on the clock (original engine) also has a miltec exhaust and cat. She made the following a few months ago.

VR6-07-02-09.jpg

I think he means with 135k on the clock and 10+ year old car only a couple of BHP down on manufactuers figures aint bad at all.....I'd be happy with those figures.

:lol:

good figures there, would like to see what it gets with some cams... was it done on stealths RR??

Mine is standard on 163k with a Milltek... 194BHP....

Standard and original ?

I don't think the exact figures mean much coming from different RR's but your peak torque is 1000 rpm higher then mine !? :shrug:

is that good or bad?? i would say its about right for a standard VR :shrug:

I was pretty happy given the age and condition.

I would think anyone getting within 10% of manufactuers figures should be happy with a 15 year old car.....anything above manfactuers figures should be bloody over the moon :grin:

I want to get mine dyno'd now all this talking of bhp figures. How much does it cost for just a simple power run on a rolling road??? Would be interesting to see as mine has the standard exhaust on still with a 6 branch, but thats it no other mods bar the chip.

At the end of the day writing a generic map takes a matter of hours from what I gather, if a specific map is just an afternoon on the dyno then how do they justify the price tag by putting a generic one on a chip that costs them next to nothing.

Chips cost like $100 in the U.S, if they cost £50-£100 quid over here then people would be less inclined to buy them off eBay, they don't unfortunately so needs must.

Flashing the software onto the ECU takes a matter of hours, or minutes, depending on ECU type but what people don't take into account is the weeks and months that go into fine tuning the maps on the roads and dyno.

I think it's fair the cost of that expertise and time is claimed back with the chip costs.

Ebay man is just blowing someone else's work onto cheap blank EPROMS. The Music industry don't tolerate it and neither should the engine mapping industry either imo.