boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

Good work there Fella, looks like the work on the rear was a MUST.

I think i will be ordering a Erwin set before doing my rear beam. :thumb right:

Monkey? You'll have pobably THE best valver on teh road after all te work you're putting into it. Your pics are truly superb, with interesting commentary too :)

Erwins really are worth their weight in gold! So useful. Shame you can't buy Plusgas in barrels really, that'd be awesome!

Thanks fla, I hope it'll be quite good when I'm done. Shame it's all standard parts really, only the powerflow is non-OEM. Looking forward to it being a lot tighter all round though :salute:

Beam is going to the tip today along with those shocks. I think it's just too dead, would need a fair bit of work / shot blasting to get it back to a workable condition.

Hoping to start on the new parts sometime, but it's all academic until the new beam has the bushes pressed in :salute:

hey there buddy, if you've got a new beam then i'm glad to hear the old one is going to the tip as it looked pretty corroded (well compared to how mine was anyway). youcould probably have reused it,but that would have been effort!

also, if i were you mate, i wouldn't touch the brackets on the car that hold the rear beam on - they were set at the factory for the rear geometry - if you put new ones on, then you would have to find a place that really knew their onions to set it up properly again. they didn't look bad at all - if it was me i would just get some waxoyl on there and then leave them... (just my 2p!)

glad to see it's coming along anyhow - the joys of corrado ownership! :)

also, if i were you mate, i wouldn't touch the brackets on the car that hold the rear beam on - they were set at the factory for the rear geometry - if you put new ones on, then you would have to find a place that really knew their onions to set it up properly again. they didn't look bad at all - if it was me i would just get some waxoyl on there and then leave them... (just my 2p!)

glad to see it's coming along anyhow - the joys of corrado ownership! :)

:pale: Oh dear. Well I have bought the beam bracket which has the BPR bracket attached to it, so the decision now is whether to put that on and have a new bracket there or not :shrug: Thanks for the heads up though, I wouldn't have thought about that at all!

The old ones look really nasty, but we never managed to undo the old ones from the breaker car, so maybe they will just get tidied up? :confused4:

so the beam is getting bushed tomorrow, then I have to sort out some copper lines for the brakes and hopefully have some standard springs on the way too! :grin:

will have to investigate this rear beam bracket issue, the BPR bracket is kinda ratty. I'll try to get a pic of it.

The beam is now bushed! Woo hoo :clap: I got it back from the garage today, thanks to ProdigalSon :notworthy: :king:

image079li6.jpg

Shame I didn't leave the Metal Ready treatment long enough to cure, as you can see how it's bubbled a little through the first layer of paint. Luckily, it is still rust proof.

image071cn1.jpg

image073jn8.jpg

image074vj5.jpg

Offside Bush, obviously eased through with some copper grease. Looks like it might have needed a little smack with a hammer! :ignore:

image075ta3.jpg

image076vs5.jpg

image077dz0.jpg

Nearside bush, also has some grease left on it. Well chuffed with the work done by the garage although the owner did ask me how many more press jobs I had for them (So far it'll be 1 wheel bearing, 2 cross members with 4 bushes each, and now the 2 rear beam bushes! :lol:) They're a good garage though, and I'll be taking the car there for the MOT :salute:

image087ky6.jpg

Other bits from before waiting to go on. Both stub axles on the left, then the rear brake pads on the right and both spring top plates underneath those. The big febi box at the bottom is one i've had for ages. Has the front engine mount in, plus the CM/RSP bolts in for the front end, and also random bits and bobs like new brake hoses etc etc.

image085gj3.jpg

New sachs shocks at the back, box to the front has 2 bags pretty much brimming with probably all the fittings you'll ever need for a rear beam and some other little bits for the front end too. Also has stoneguards for rear beam, and discs in febi boxes underneath. Bag to the left has handbrake cables, bump stops, rubber top mounts and bellows in. :eek:

image080jg4.jpg

Did a bit of shopping today too :nono: :lol: Prod and I went halves on the Waxoyl kit (my carpets are still out, so I may give the sills a little waxage), black hammerite is for my other rear caliper, and possibly the rear beam brackets (if I do have to keep them on afterall :pale: ) and the little pot is Aubergine Hammerite! I am thinking maybe colour coded front 280s? 8) I'm not one to detail a car, but it was only £2.50 for the pot :nuts:

image086vp1.jpg

What the cool kids are reading nowadays. Bound paperback on the top is the Grp A Mk2 Golf 16v Tech Specs :norty:

That's superb work on the rear brakes and beam there sir, damn it makes me want a driveway... I'd be very glad you changed...well everything given the state of some of the parts that came off your rear suspension! I never had the back end off my valver so I never realised exactly how similar it was to my Mk2.

I'll just say that you're a more persistent man than I am, when I found that my brake pressure regulator was goosed I took it off with an angle grinder and ran the brake lines straight front to back :oops:

Cheers

T

I used K.A. Stroud's Engineering Mathematics during my degree also. Maybe I'm cooler than I thought.

Absolute godsend of a book! Got me through my whole first year, and i still refer to it when I have a mind blank :confused4:

That's superb work on the rear brakes and beam there sir, damn it makes me want a driveway... I'd be very glad you changed...well everything given the state of some of the parts that came off your rear suspension! I never had the back end off my valver so I never realised exactly how similar it was to my Mk2.

I'll just say that you're a more persistent man than I am, when I found that my brake pressure regulator was goosed I took it off with an angle grinder and ran the brake lines straight front to back :oops:

:cuckoo:

Cheers

T

Legend!! yeah, it can be hard work but I just love doing it. Both prod and I have been out underneath cars in the most insane weather just cos we want to get something finished! Maybe we're just loco :cuckoo:

yeah, very similar to the mk2. In fact that beam is a mk2 one. Just some subtle differences to the corrado one which i've investigated and won't be a problem. From what I hear BPRs are a PITA in general, think I lucked out by finding a newish one on the back of the plum.

:clap: Congrates on getting the car going fella what does the brass TB screw look like sorry if its obv its just mine runs idle at 1100. Is it the kinda flat head screw on the top? if that makes sense? :lol:

I used K.A. Stroud's Engineering Mathematics during my degree also. Maybe I'm cooler than I thought.

Absolute godsend of a book! Got me through my whole first year, and i still refer to it when I have a mind blank :confused4:

Shudder, brings back memories......

:clap: Congrates on getting the car going fella what does the brass TB screw look like sorry if its obv its just mine runs idle at 1100. Is it the kinda flat head screw on the top? if that makes sense? :lol:

Did you mean to post this in here Nathan? My car's not been running for a couple of weeks!

The screw you are looking for is sticking out left on this picture, it's pretty much the frontmost part of the TB as you look at it from the engine bay

16vthrottlebody.jpg

Bike lock iced up last night so did the gears! :shock: wtfbbqfbi. Managed to scrape all the ice off, but bike still behaving a bit wonky donkey. Think the gearmech needs a look at. Brakes started to squeal too, feel like a right nooblet :/

Bike lock iced up last night so did the gears! :shock: wtfbbqfbi. Managed to scrape all the ice off, but bike still behaving a bit wonky donkey. Think the gearmech needs a look at. Brakes started to squeal too, feel like a right nooblet :/

nice! - i used to be really big into my pushbikes, still really like them but don't own one anymore unfortunately. a thief was good enough to relieve me of one that was worth over 2k through the fault of a friend leaving my house wide open while drunk! - the sickening sensation sort of put me off after that!

hows the car coming anyway bud - any more progress? :norty:

oh dear, who needs enemies with friends like that huh? :bonk:

No more updates since I got the beam back on monday, almost bunked off uni today cos it was so clear and sunny but I still need to sort some springs (in talks) and also do those brake lines ( :norty: ).

Brought the new cross-member and rad support panel over from Prod's house, along with new PAS lines and the old pump so I may get round to rigging all those up on the front end sometime soon, then the front will be pretty much done. I say that, but the overheating issue really has taken it's toll on the HG as the car felt reasonably underpowered when I took it for alignment a couple of fridays ago. Wonder if it will get through MOT like that? Might just have to save up £100 and do that when I can. Shouldn't be too tricky.

Apart from those things, I've got a student bedroom full of new bits :clap: can't wait to put them all on.