boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

Andy, at this rate you'll be back in a *whispers* Corrado *whispers* before the year is up! You just can't keep away :wink:

Absolutely no chance, I'm afraid matey :( Really enjoying the Skud at the mo though- it's making for a pretty good replacement- putting out plenty of power. Doesn't have the character or the looks of a C, but it's pretty damn good for a cheap, fast family car. It's actually faster than any of my VR6s (in a straight line). The mid-range torque after the remap/downpipe is fantastic 8)

LOL @ Skud!! Bet it goes like one too :wink: Glad you're enjoying it matey, we'll have to have another bbq / family gathering once the weather turns! :grin:

Cheers Rob :)

image064vw0.jpg

image068ft4.jpg

image069bz9.jpg

image070ey9.jpg

Some more pics of the rear beam. Unfortunately it's been snowed on for at least two weeks which hasn't helped some of the flash rust. I'll be cleaning those bushes up before the beam goes on.

Thanks corsameal and pete :D motivation can waver unfortunately, but the weather's turning now so hopefully it'll be done shortly! I've budgetted about £650 of my loans over the summer to getting this finished and only spent about £100 so far so, touch wood, nothing else will go wrong (although I'm yet to sort the fuel pump :pale: )

Met up with Supercharged yesterday, saw the Corrado TDI which was very impressive despite Steve's issues with bodywork. I think a reshell would be a quality project sometime matey! Loved the rondells too :luvlove: It's nice to see another Burgundy around :D

Haven't got much further on the car this weekend due to having a cold and hacking up what can only be described as yellow underseal (mmmmm) but I am getting further with having the brake lines finished. Took me a while to work out that there's a hardline from the bias valve to the brackets either side, then a hose to the beam (to allow for movement) then another hardline which snakes its way down each trailing arm to the stub axle area and then another hose to the rear calipers. Phew! Luckily Pete_Griff had left some awesome photos on my computer so that was really useful, cheers mate!

Updates as I do them and pictures when they're taken :grin:

let us know how you get on setting(tensionning) that beam up with the mounting brakets/bushes, mine wasn't done with the correct leveraging process and I still don't understand exactly how it should be done :)

Nice work mate.

My old brake lines and clips etc were just as rotten.....would sort out your fuel lines tho.....they should not be crossed. The rigid lines need to be kept straight. Looks as if someone replaced the fuel lines (rigid blue and black ones) and got them on the wrong way round.

Black should be fuel to engine

Blue should be fuel return

Ah cheers blue, I'll have a look into them then. Prodigal bought a brand new fuel return line when he was having fume issues in the engine bay, turned out to be one of the rubber hoses that had gone, so the blue line is still up for grabs! :norty:

Looking good, glad to see some progress on this again! Keep it up! We must get around to organising a mini local meet! I will PM you soon when I know when I have some time!

Unfortunately Pete_griff's tools had to go back this week, so I've been buying some bits and bobs to get me through the front end pipes which I won't be doing for another few weeks:

image000sq1.jpg

The Zone of Tools, that's where I am. This baby will help me finish up those double flares.

image001yp9.jpg

Brand new OSF G60 caliper less than £30 without exchange - which was nice.

image002yk1.jpg

M10 male connectors for attching brake lines to master cylinders, line connectors, hoses and calipers alike.

image003nb9.jpg

10/11mm brake line spanner aka the funny spanner with a bit missing so you can get it back off brake lines when stuff is tight :nuts:

image006wz1.jpg

Tengtools pipe cutter. Still need a de-burrer but might use a file for that.

image008ok2.jpg

The pipe join which, IIRC, goes between the NSF caliper hard line and the hard line which runs along the firewall to the m/c. T-piece still on order.

image009hw3.jpg

Found a place online that does 25ft of CuNi pipe for just over £10! well happy.

Prod needs a brake line too, so I'm sure all these bits will get used pretty regularly. My pipe bender is still on order too, but that's ok.

Thanks guys. James, no deburring tool from what I can tell, just a little grub screw holding on a spare blade. The plot thickens.... :wink:

I know right!! :cry:

Currently keeping my eyes peeled for a KJet fuel pump. I'm hearing stories of £500+ dealer items :pale:

oh, and I lost my usb stick today with a kickass woven carbon fibre report on due friday, so I gotta write that up from scratch tomorrow. Awesome :bad-words:

found USB stick, got 2 points shy of an A in a horrid exam that I thought I was gonna fail and my brake line T-piece came.

All in all, a good day :salute:

found USB stick, got 2 points shy of an A in a horrid exam that I thought I was gonna fail and my brake line T-piece came.

All in all, a good day :salute:

nice one :clap:

So, I dug the rear beam out of storage today as the weather was so nice, and thought i'd make up the final hard lines which run to the caliper hose.

image005je3.jpg

I found those funny spring brake line holder things in a box, obviously hadn't been taken care of as one has a missing retainer clip:

image010ha6.jpg

And the other one looks like it's bent - shouldn't it sit higher off the beam than this?

image013kk1.jpg

So, I need to order another two of these aswell. Beam attachment postponed again :/

I did think I could start putting the stub axles, stone guards, bearings and discs on but then it would make it more cumbersome to move around the garage and put on the car, so I think I'm gonna built it all back up when it's actually on, attached to the brackets and hanging from the shocks.

Another quick update whilst coursework is quiet!

Going to order the parts I need this morning, hopefully the dealer can get them in either tomorrow or saturday. Bought a near-new fuel pump assembly off stevej for £70 which was a cracking deal I thought! I haven't opened it yet to look at it as it's in my room and smells like fuel :nuts:

apart from that I'm trying to get the back end done asap, so I can move onto the front and get the PAS all reconnected for MOT. The G60 brakes may have to wait until a summer day in the not too distant future.

Pics up when I'm dressed :lol:

Pics up when I'm dressed :lol:

got a mental image of a fat bloke sitting in his pants in front of a computer, like this

fat-man-at-computer.jpg

Hows tricks buddy, course going well?