boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

So, I forgot that my C has 2 sets of locks - Drivers door and Ignition on one key, and passenger door and tailgate on another.... it only just occured to me today that this is probs cos the car has been stolen before and someone has shattered both the driver door and ignition locks, therefore needing a second key....anyways...

I only found the drivers door key, so I crawled along the hedge and opened her up. So glad that she still smells good! :salute: I had a look around inside and all seemed well. Not too many arachnids chewing up my interior or making a nest of doom in it. I popped the bonnet and had a poke around...ah yeah, it had been left with the front copper brake lines just waiting to be connected up to the calipers etc. I still haven't done the brakes yet, although I have found 2 brand new rear calipers and one brand new front G60 in the pile of parts in the attic.... I really must read back over the last few pages and try to remember what I was doing this time 18 months ago! :lol:

Also had a look around the old KR. God, it's archaic. little cold start injector in the manifold, the K-Jet system, 2 different drive belts for Alt>water pump > crank, and also PAS > water pump > crank! Really makes me want a newer engine, or at least one that is MUCH more revised / modernised.

Undercarriage is still looking fresh though, the big wishbone bolts from bone to subframe still have that blue anti-rust stuff showing - proof that my dousing with waxoyl worked wonders. I'm hoping to fill the sills and possibly interior of doors and chassis rails (and other cavities) before too long. I have a big one of those pump Waxoyl cans kicking about at Prod's house :-)

The battery has been out the whole time, and the rear box is off at the mo at the rubber perished (and I never put it back after doing rear brake lines and beam) so there's no chance of starting it. I'm pretty sure this engine is shot anyways as it's the same one that overheated in April 09 (I think) when the water pump pulley friction material imploded. I'd like to pull the engine out, but the hydraulic seal in the engine crane jack has let go, so I need to work my magic on that too. Realised today that I am deperately short on tools also, as I pretty much only have a 1/2" drive set of sockets to my name.... Guh.

So, plenty to do...!

Man, money is beyond tight.I've had 1 single day of temp work all summer, stupid recession :bad-words:

Considering breaking the plum for parts :brickwall: :help: :cuckoo:

Man, money is beyond tight.I've had 1 single day of temp work all summer, stupid recession :bad-words:

Don't be daft.

Also had a look around the old KR. God, it's archaic. little cold start injector in the manifold, the K-Jet system, 2 different drive belts for Alt>water pump > crank, and also PAS > water pump > crank! Really makes me want a newer engine, or at least one that is MUCH more revised / modernised.

Who cares how retro or how modern the engine is as long as it works?! KR's will do stratospheric miles with a minium amount of TLC and they're easily fixable at home. What's not to like? So it has two different drive belts?! What's that got to do with the price of cheese?!

Sheesh! ;)

Don't be daft.

x2

Good to see you back and I'm looking forward to some mega updates; if there was an award for photo heavy posts you sir would win. :D

If you're not feeling the KR anymore why not drop something modern like a 2.0TFSI in there? :norty:

ABF would be the obvious way to go but then something more modern like a 1.4TSI would be awesome I reckon in a Corrado...

I'd get the other stuff around it sorted first though mate then decide about the engine - should be a nice cheap and relaible car to run once done as you've basically done a full drivetrain restoration.

ABF would be the obvious way to go but then something more modern like a 1.4TSI would be awesome I reckon in a Corrado...

until someone asks if you have a vr6 and you have to reply "no, its a 1.4" :epicfail:

Don't be daft.

Fair point. Thaniks for the verbal slap :salute:

Who cares how retro or how modern the engine is as long as it works?! KR's will do stratospheric miles with a minium amount of TLC and they're easily fixable at home. What's not to like? So it has two different drive belts?! What's that got to do with the price of cheese?!

Sheesh! ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Hi Jim. How is your radiator/cooling system? did it ever get fixed? :cry: I just think my engine bay looks really old. The magnesium oxide on the intake and the many cobswebs didn't help to be honest... :cuckoo: student eh? flippin tax dodgers.

I have been thinking about the low weight and efficiency of the TSI's, that would be kinda cool. I know of one in a Mk2 Rallye, but not seen it work. I wonder what bottom end it uses...Can't remember if the next gen higher CC 4-pot blocks have revised mounting positions...hell, i'm all up for stripping my bay and then making a CAD model to be honest :cheers:

Had an interesting morning so far. I've got my bike back on the road after not riding it for over a year, so that's been great. I wanted to change my thread title to "Red Carrera RWD @ 70psi" but I thought I might get flamed a little bit :nuts:

Been cutting back the hedge that has overgrown onto the Plum today, and had 2 shocks! First was that I found my car keys in the ignition :brickwall: and the other was I cut through the hedge strimmer power lead roughly around the C-pillar :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: so I'm just about to rewire that if I can.

More updates as they happen.

Seen a couple of COrrados on campus the past week:

VR6 - K*** XPH,

VR6 - dark with a huge dent in the rear offside by wheel arch (can't remember plate, will check it later).

Might drop a cheeky flyer under the wipers later :D

Saw ANOTHER VR in Jeune St Oxford tonight. Might have been same one as earlier (couldn't remember plate).

Flippin everywhere they are.

Also started final year project - Design and optimisation of complete dry sump system.... Any engine requests? :lol:

Found out the Corrados were vw domo and harryc.

will have to arrange a student meet (i.e. sipping white lightning in the nearest park).

Alright there! Mines the one with the big dent, some c@nt drove into me the other day when I was parked up off cowley, living on jeune street now so yeah that's me as well! Would be up for a mini meet!

Does anyone know if No Claims Bonus expires/runs out? I've got 4 years but haven't driven a car for over a year... :s

Might phone Brentacre and just check with them, they insured the Plum last.

ok cool thanks. The plum was insured until March 09 so I should still be ok.

Just trying to sort out insurance on my fiancee's car with her as a named driver. She's portuguese but has swapped her 10 year old Int'l licence for a UK Full and only held for 2 months so the online quotes are kinda screwing her over.

If anyone wants me today, I'll be looking at a corner model in ADAMS from 10-12 , then lunch, then Automotive engines at 3pm.

have a good morning guys :D

Thanks buddy... it's been a tumbleweed for about 18 months though.

I was at Prod's house again today, and got the urge to do more car stuff (and supported by the fiancée...think I've found a keeper!) and as I said I'd give my seats to a chap from MK, I thought it would be a good time to get craking again.

It's been so long what with the placement in the caribbean (oh you didn't know? :lol: ) and other things, and finishing my degree (ongoing until May 2011) which have left the car sitting where it is. It's also been so long that I can't remember how far I got! Seems I was doing hard brake lines before I laid it up for it's slumber, so I should crack back on with that really.

I've also found tons and tons of parts that I don't think I will end up using, so I will be posting those up here later for peanuts. Always good to help someone else.

Looks so awesome covered in the permafrost at the mo, all sparkly :D :camp:

ha ha!! you do indeed :D mine and Prod's :D

Poll where you in cowley last night? thought i saw a cheeky C going wrong way down a one way road :lol: