boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

i've unclipped it at the top and bent it so its out of my way, would be a good excuse for an emo to get noticed on them edges though!

The Plum is undercover until I am home... Thanks to the g/f for buying the cover, and to ProdigalSon (plus wife!) for the labour :D

Corrado1.jpg

Now you see me...

Corrado2.jpg

Now you don't!! :eek:

So, I haven't updated this for ages cos i am 4000 miles from the car...but I am doing some other cool stuff like designing mounts for rally car suspension...

upright.jpg

And yes, there are real mounts, bump stops, shock, coil over plates, and screw threads on everything!

detailh.jpg

I fill all 3gb of ram if I try to cross-section the entire assembly... stupid vista :/

Another guy who works on an Evo 6 approached me after seeing these and said he would have some work for me soon, which will be cool.

Until tomorrow good people, I have an Evo 3 to help reassemble....

I miss you guys.

I miss my car.

I miss England :cuckoo: :shock:

Have I had too much rum?

Is that even possible? :lol:

Early July. Was gonna stay out here longer, but gotta find somewhere to live and get resettled before last year uni starts in September.

Plenty Rob :D

finished officially yesterday, fly back Weds 7th. Been doing a LOT of CAD and design. Creating schematics to be fed into a plasma cutter CNC machine. Stress testing parts on the rally car, T10, using FEA. Drawing the whole rally car bolt by bolt. It's a Datsun 120Y with a huge wing, granite rear axle, Nissan SR20DET 2litre 16v turbocharged engine with full engine management and ALS. Ran in Group B modified for Rally Barbados 2010, and just finished a drifting event last weekend where it tore up everything :D

Here's one of the renders of my CAD assembly - work in progress:

completecar8.jpg

Here's a video of it in action :D :D :D :D :D

Sweet. 8)

Good to see you back on here dude, looking forward to seeing Plum getting more resto loving.

Thanks guys,

I'm looking forward to seeing how well the Waxoyl has worked on all the new parts I put on - getting on for a year now since it's been laid up. The brakes never got changed, so I will just remove them and toss them in the bin when I get back. Prodigal wrapped the car up really nicely at the end of last year, so I'm expecting it to be in pretty good condition.

I wanna see if I can get some CAD temping work over the summer, as my normal temp work is painfully dull :/

I've really enjoyed my time out here, not as tanned as I might have hoped but still got a few days before I go home! :D

Hey everyone,

i've been away for over a year :/ misseed you guys. Internet in Barbados was really sketchy, hence my low profile.

But i'm back now, literally moved into my student pad this weekend, ready for my last year.

I've chosen my Dissertation project: The design and optimisation of a complete dry sump system including the centrifugal oil air separator :eek:

should be a lot of fun. I'm expecting the report to be CAD heavy with some really good results. It would be amazing if I could adapt one for an actual engine (I may have to do that) so donor blocks always welcome! :lol:

Anyways, I hope to be spreading myself liberally about the forum from now on :luvlove:

Jon aka Boostmonkey :salute:

Welcome back Jon, your cad skills have come a long way!!

Have you been using Solidworks or Catia?

Hey Jon,

Good to have you back! :clap: We'll have to meet up once Plum is up and running again :) Be cool if you could make it along to this. 8)

Hi guys,

thanks for the warm welcome :D

Welcome back Jon, your cad skills have come a long way!!

Have you been using Solidworks or Catia?

Solidworks still, although I have a copy of Catia now and also Autodesk 3ds Max Design (looks kinda architecturally)

Been really windy recently in the Ox, and my car cover tore and then blew off the car. Had a little look around:

Good points:

The localised Waxoyling I did on all the parts I swapped before I left is still good,

Paint is still in good condition and water beads off the wax applied circa November 2009 :shock:

Bad Points:

The whole interior is green with mould,

The aerial has snapped off.

This is a very condensed bad points list. I am still acclimatising back into the world of Corrado ownership :eek: To be blunt, the engine is fubar, the brakes still need finishing (i'll probs pull it all out and check it seeing as it's a safety system!) the whole car needs rewiring and I still have a year of uni left :dorky:

Also, I got engaged recently to my missus who I started seeing before I went away. I think it was the fact she travelled across the city and bought the car cover and promptly fitted it when I was away which made me think she was a keeper! :lol: So that's all due for next June time. She does like the Corrado though, so there's a good chance it will stay 8)

Hey Jon,

Good to have you back! :clap: We'll have to meet up once Plum is up and running again :) Be cool if you could make it along to this. 8)

That looks like a great day out Andy! the weekend before I start the mayhem again too :lol: I'll speak to Prod and see if we can come up. It will probs be in the CR-V though... :(

Kip, I did a bunch of design whilst I was in Barbados. The main engineer of the rally car we were building (the datsun shaped spaceship) needed a larger banjo fitting for the air line to the tial wastegate. He had some CAD knowledge so we came up with a design that could be made in hosue from a single stainless steel billet! it's very very cool designing something, and then the folowing day holding in your hand the thing you were just calculating on a screen :shock: DEFINITELY going to go into design when I finish next May!

I'll try to dig out all the pics and put them up here. I did some designs for a local CNC company too :D

I love it mate, as you know I've been doing it for a while now and I never get bored of it.

I've been contracting to a company in Weybridge for the past year. Since then I've designed this seat that you put into military vehicles that absorbs the blast impact from IED's and mines to help save the soldiers spines etc. It's really interesting and I'm learing new stuff all the time, and I've never gone to work thinking that my job was tedious like many others do, I count myself as very lucky.

But like you say, the best places to work for have the fast turnaround, screen on day one, made on day two, back to screen on day three to fix the cock up you made on day one :lol:

Bad Points:

The whole interior is green with mould,

The aerial has snapped off.

Good points:

Interior doesn't smell mouldy, so it's all superficial (still has that nice Corrado interior smell),

Bro unscrewed the aerial before he put the car cover on last year - didn't even know you could do that!

I love it mate, as you know I've been doing it for a while now and I never get bored of it.

I've been contracting to a company in Weybridge for the past year. Since then I've designed this seat that you put into military vehicles that absorbs the blast impact from IED's and mines to help save the soldiers spines etc. It's really interesting and I'm learing new stuff all the time, and I've never gone to work thinking that my job was tedious like many others do, I count myself as very lucky.

But like you say, the best places to work for have the fast turnaround, screen on day one, made on day two, back to screen on day three to fix the cock up you made on day one :lol:

Yeah I hear you with the design cockup! We realised with the banjo that it would interfere with another connection on the wastegate (i.e. i drew part of the wastegate) and used the awesome collision detection tool when I mated them - so cool! In the end, the guys just machined part of the wastegate down... lol, it's quite like Africa in the Caribbean - just cut bits off til it fits!

One of the engineers told me this:

If it moves and it shouldn't - Duct tape,

If it doesn't move and should - WD40,

If that doesn't fix it - Electrical problem :lol: