boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

Wow, car has been off the road since September 2008. Still has a tax disc in the window with Jan 09 expiry.

2 years and 3 months as a paperweight :/

Thinks its 2 yrs then you loose it.

Depends on company some are a year!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am feeling upbeat about my car again :D

I went to wash it the other day, and remind myself what I have done to it. I was really surprised to find that all the work I have done is still in mint condition.

The subframe waxoyl has worked perfectly, keeping everything fresh and didn't even find corrosion on bolt heads.

The suspension all round is still perfect, they're VR6 gas shocks and accompanying hardware and they haven't missed a beat. No corrosion on them at all either. The cleaned out wheel well also stil shining in a DBP underseal kind of way!

The copper-nickel brake lines I added maybe 18mths(?) ago are still perfect. Not even any sign of going green or even water marks etc. I guess my scuttle panel is still in good condition!

Going back over today to sort through the spare parts that I wrapped and sealed, and also through bigger stuff outside. Prodigal says a hedgehog has been living amongst it! Well at least it's getting some use :lol:

I thought I would take a few pictures of the Plum post-snowy season! The bodywork has lasted very well I reckon, a testament to VW build quality from the mk2/3 era.

dscn0364w.jpg

Front bumper has some light marks from a long time back.

dscn0355x.jpg

As it stands today, so glad I went for a good bodywork car instead of a good mechanicals car. That being said, both areas still need work.

dscn0356b.jpg

The Sebrings have lasted well, the tyres are shot now though. It's been sat for 2 years on a couple of flats so each corner will get new rubber. Adding it to the list...!

dscn0357n.jpg

Side reflection of Prodigal's G60 as sat next to mine. Paintwork really has stood the test of time with no Collinite or other expensive treatments.

dscn0360m.jpg

NSR wheelarch. Suspension and arch just as I left them many many months ago :luvlove:

dscn0361q.jpg

OSR...

dscn0362o.jpg

OSF...

dscn0363e.jpg

NSF...

dscn0358et.jpg

Interior still in pieces. Reminds me the whole dash needs rewiring.One job at a time though, eh? I like my sanity :nuts:

dscn0359i.jpg

There was some superficial mould buildup which needs investigating. Rear silencer, red box o tools, bike tyres and new KR fuel pump assembly.

dscn0367y.jpg

Been off the road for some time (well, water pump went in September 2008) and more evidence of interior condensation :shrug:

Ah, she's still looking good Jon. All the hard work you put in before you left has clearly paid off. I'm sure you'll have her looking better than ever before long... as long as you stop taking pics and just get on with it! :lol:

LOL, this is true matey :D

The front wings are rotten at the bottom where the bolt to the car, and I haven't had any luck sourcing good condition early wings and no luck at all in finding ones in this colour.

I'm not starting to wonder whether this bottom section could be cut off and re-welded, and then bolted back to the car instead. The rest of the wings are in good nick.

After looking through my paperwork and doing some window shopping for how much my early 16v would cost to insure again, I had the good news that I have 4 years NCB!

I also had the bad news that it was issued lastly in January 2009, and is only valid for 2 years.

So I'm trying to work out what to do. Whether it's worth insuring something cheap (maybe even the plum?!) to keep the NCB going. I'm thinking it may pay off in the long run.

Edited by boost monkey

Just got a quote from Footman James on my Corrado to keep my NCB going. 1500 miles a year, fully comp, £150.

Seriously thinking about taking that up, as 4years NCB must be worth more than £150. I'l be getting married at the end of May, and my fianceé has only just transferred from a 9 year international licence to a UK one, so she has 0 NCB in her own name.

yup, i'd definitely go for that. I'm doing the same thing on my scooter, i dont really need it but would like a proper motorbike when I can justify one and the no claims will definitely be needed then

Yeah, FJ said they don't use NCB for their classic policies but they would honour it for a modern car policy as they accept NCB from up to 3 years ago. Result!

Quite happy with that :D

I did tell them the plum was standard, I wonder if they'll decide a stainless exhaust is a defilement. It's a bit moot really, as that car ain't going anywhere right now.

I'l be getting married at the end of May, and my fianceé has only just transferred from a 9 year international licence to a UK one, so she has 0 NCB in her own name.

Has she never held UK insurance either? Regardless of her licence nationality if she has 9 years UK insurance I think they should honour that.... surely? If not, what a bunch of idiots! Penalise those doing the right thing and getting/maintaining their insurance... :mad2:

I'd definitely go for the insurance on the plum mate. I did it a few years ago to maintain my motorcycle NCB.

Well she's Portuguese/South African (eh bru eh eh eh bru bru eh bru), never owned a car over here and I think she's always driven her parents cars overseas. It just looks bad on the online quotes as she's held a full licence for

Planning to get the plum insurance :D and hoping (maybe) I will get the Mrs into a corrado too! She seems to like the dark red ones(Bordeaux).

At the very least if some pikey robs the Plum, I'd be covered for theft! :lol: all those VAG parts must be worth something...

Got my proof of NCB through from HIC. I genuinely believed Brentacre insured my Corrado and argued about it on the phone! :lol: it's only doing a search on here that I found out I had mentioned HIC, so I tentatively phoned them up and gave the reg number and bingo! :nuts:

I've understood a bit better about footman james now. They will honour NCB up to 3 years after it was issued, but only on modern car policies as the classic car policies don't use NCB for discounts or anything.

So, I don't have to insure my C with them to be able to use my NCB, but I will have to take out cover with them (or another company who allows NCD to be used up to 3 years after issue) within the next year for the 4years NCD to be kept.

I wonder who else allows up to 3 years for NCD to be used... :scratch:

I'm trying to talk the missus into getting a mk2 gti for "our" first car. I think the whole "but I have so many spares for the corrado" is a good angle, plus the classic insurance of £190 per year for us both.

She's into the mk3, likes the curves or something. The 16v is the only one I'd go for, the VR is too much. Shame I can't get a mk3 on classic insurance! Heard lots of bad things about reverse going on the mk3 though, seems a common thing. Fook doing any more gearboxes.

Ordered some wings today from the grey valver being broken which i'm really happy about. Been a long time searching for some good ones. I think I will attack the wiring first though and get that done as the first major thing as I don't ened the engine to work to check the electrics work.

Edited by boost monkey

Does anyone know if I can buy rear quarter glass just on its own, or does it have to come from a glass fitter? Just trying to figure out what body panels I need to get. I hate doing bodywork(!).

Edited by boost monkey

Happy days! I found some really good front wings finally! They're from the Grey 16v that matt8v and robrado are stripping, and I'm chuffed that they will soon be on their way!

IMG_0779.jpg

IMG_0780.jpg

I'm informed the other one is in good nick also. £60 for the pair and I arrange my own courier :D

PV/T is a constant you are right :D

Yeah i'm running the blue expansion tank. I changed the stat the other day, purely because I thought if it wasn't opening when it should, obviously the water in the pipes would keep getting hotter and hotter and expand and could cause damage to the pipes.

The last 2 pipes broke in the same place which was kinda odd, maybe I had 2 dodgy pipes but then again they were both 2nd hand (one came on the car, and the other was from my 80k mile block)

LOL...looking back I should have seen that the water pump wasn't working properly and that this is why the hose was getting really pressurised and burst twice in a row.