boost monkey

Project Plum - The Plan of Attack

Ha ha yeah, I wishhhh!!

No, not since I got the ASBO.... but that's another story :eek:

Care to elaorate?!

Currently deciding whether I'm suicidal enough (and if there's enough interweb space) to post up my To do list.

I don't wanna crash the server.

hey there pal, lines are looking good.

they will probably seal up just fine, but it looks like you are using the wrong die in your end flaring tool - your ends are concave, but the oem ends are convex...

they will probably seal just fine - just so you know for future...

keep up the good work pal :)

Yeah, my flaring kit seems to work differently to your vice master. The ones on mine are double flares (pipe is trumpetted outwards initially, and then folded back in on itself for the second flare)

I dont' think they will give me any problems, but then I haven't had much experience of self-made working lines... yet!

3Corsameal's parts came yesterday, hopefully get the pics up tonight if the laptop wants to behave. Cheers matey! :salute:

Here are the parts I picked up from 3CM - what a legend:

image041yua.jpg

The best guide pins I have ever seen, they look amazing! Who knows why 2 of them have a tapered pattern then? Are they lower / upper specific?

image042u.jpg

All standing to attention. Makes me feel proud... :cry:

image043q.jpg

2(!) handbrake mechs and grub screws. Cheers matey!

image044g.jpg

much better condition caliper to be overhauled (left), my overhauled caliper (right).

image045q.jpg

Comes with extra bleed nipple... I think this caliper might be wireless...

image046e.jpg

It's nice to have 2 of the same caliper again! The ones I took off the car were different to each other :eek:

image047lfa.jpg

Ooooh, boxes of tricks.... What could they be?

image048g.jpg

Ah, useful. New guide pin boots, bolts and pocket o' grease (made by Lucas it seems)

image049j.jpg

My o'hauled carriers too. In reasonable nick, a bit of corrosion to the pin sliders but nothing major. Going to put it all together now... :wave:

lb11.jpg

Parts bin, parts bin, have ya any carrier bolts?

*listens*

The parts bin contains no carrier bolts....

There goes tonight's job! Better get them ordered first thing tomorrow morning which is a major setback as I'm away all weekend. Ho hum. :brickwall:

In fact, does anyone know whether the horrid allen key bolts have been replaced with something hex headed or not? I gotta ask VW to order me some tomorrow, but if one of you guys knows that a set from mk3/4 will fit and are hex then that's definitely worth a try!

Cheers :D

Ok, so I went a bit stir crazy and attacked the new caliper instead:

image050y.jpg

With the use of ProdigalSon's piston windback tool, I set to work. Ok, wasn't getting very far so called in reinforcements...

image051v.jpg

Got a bit further, but still needed more power....called in the artillery...

image055rqw.jpg

Yeaahhh, that's MUCH better! Some serious beans and a *crack* later...

image052n.jpg

Bada bing, bada boom. Had to brace the caliper down so it wouldn't move and stand on it too!

image053f.jpg

Piston's in good condition, sometimes they tend to get corroded which obviously doesn't help the sticking caliper syndrome.

image054fcl.jpg

Inside of the bore / body looks ok too. I'll have to leave it for a while so the plusgas can evaporate.

image056c.jpg

...and the spare piston that 3CM very kindly sent with. Cheers again fella!

So, not an entirely wasted evening! I might even prep it ready for paint too... :shock: Just needs a brief blow-over really, still quite black.

glad it all arrived ok :D

i can't remember how i got that spare piston out now, i haven't got the bling looking tool you have :shock:

In fact, does anyone know whether the horrid allen key bolts have been replaced with something hex headed or not? I gotta ask VW to order me some tomorrow, but if one of you guys knows that a set from mk3/4 will fit and are hex then that's definitely worth a try!

Cheers :D

Na the rears are still the allen key got mine last week................ :salute:

You should be able to replace them with hex headed bolts if you find the right length and strength of bolt.

So... ProdigalSon picked up the carrier bolts for me this week, and so I think I have everything I need to get the rear brakes finished.

I am trying to move out of my student house by the end of the month (Tuesday) so as not to incur extra rent for staying longer than I need. Plan is to get the handbrakes working at least and then use a towbar to tow the Plum over to Prodigal's house where I am staying for now, andhopefully get the rest of it sorted before I go away for placement.

I'm not planning to take the car with me, so I'm hoping big bro will be able to run it for me, providing it's got MOT else I'll just try to find a cheap lockup for a year.

So yeah, updates shortly all being well!

4 weeks later, here is teh update :nuts:

I had moved out of my old house where the Plum has been resting since October 08 (almost 9 months!! omg) so I started geeting ready to move it. I thought, I'll sling the rear cals and handbrake cables on - that at least would mean it's towable and could stop by itself....ish :roll:

Being 105% amazing, I lost not one but all of the 3 rear caliper pistons that I had saved up for the currently dismantled caliper from 3CM (he even sent 2!!) :pale: so towing was out of the question. In the end, I hired a man with a trailer to come and transporter it the *ahem* 1 mile *ahem* from my old house to Prodigal's (where I/we am/are residing for the mo). He charged me £50 which was flat rate. Sounds quite a lot but it was £30 for a towbar, and towing was out of the question with a car with zero brakes (one front hard l ne is still fubar and the rears are venting to atm. obviously) so I decided it was quite reasonable.

Pics:

image006z.jpg

image008pyp.jpg

image009taw.jpg

image011tma.jpg

Ok....so updates have been few and far between. The Plum is now resting on the gravel drive (as per last pic) next to the mighty G. Unfortunately it's O/S is right up against the hedge which means no access to wheel arch for doing the brakes, and the gravelly drive bit means moving the car by hand is a bit of a mare. Humm.

So, until the car is movable (get lots and lots of boards???) I think I will start work on the front of the car:

front cross-member and new rad support to go on (with new engine mount)

possible new coolant hose set (engine lost all its coolant whilst the rear beam was being put on)

sort out PAS system and possible new pump

definite cambelt change - still has a nasty score in where it was run without the belt cover on and the removable hoist loop thing swung down and made contact for god knows how long. Also, potential remove head at same time and do piston rings.

should be enough to get on with for the time being.

I agree. Look at me buddy, I have a boat load of shiny new parts just sitting around, yet I can't bolt 'em up cuz I can't get enough money to get the block machined :(

So get on with it!! :clap:

Cheers guys.

I'm just sorting out placement at the mo - got the flights booked for 1st October so I'll be off in 5 weeks time. Not taking the Plum, as much as I want to! :(

Hoping Prodigal will let me leave it on his drive for 10 months :nuts: else I gotta find a lockup asap.

I have managed to source some nice new rear calipers, which means I have 2 hammerited ones going spare (one without piston, LOL!)

I'll try to get cracking with this.

Jon.