Sign in to follow this  
CorradoVR6-Turbo

Spoiler stops working below freezing!?

Hello All

I was driving down the A1 towards Newcastle this morning,and it was so cold :x-mas: and the MFA outside temp said -2 c and my rear spoiler wasn't coming up when it normally does.

So I made sure I could hear the motor and I tried the manual switch but no joy (it wasn't frozen over ) so I had a thought and stuck a hairdryer on the outside temp probe to get the temp up and hey presto as soon as it went above freezing it worked :?

Must be some sort of fail safe device to stop damage

Clever stuff eh .... :lol:

never happened to me last winter mate....

Spoiler froze over a couple of times but never stopped working.

the spoiler stops your car leaving the road at high speeds, not very safe stopping that from working really eh?

Matt GTi, it should... and i cant see you getting away with the sig either. Andi dont allow it. thats why everyone is runnin Avatars to the left.

Nice lookin C tho :)

Maybe this spoiler thing is VR6 only ??

Hasn't dropped below freezing while I've been out yet - not sure wether my G60 spoiler works or not.

Can't beat modern technology

James - how come you have a haidryer ?.. :lol:

Hmm :oops: the hairdryer was loaned for scientific purposes only :lol:

It must be a safe thing to stop the spoiler coming up when frozen over ,what I mean is if the back was totally frozen the motor would burn out or put something under heavy stain trying to break the ice :?

Flying about when its below freezing isn't a safe bet anyway so you would get away with the spoiler down at safe speeds :D

You know I always did wonder about the spoiler and low temperatures.. and I always did used to worry about it freezing up and the motors burning out.

But in the winter I always used to hit the 60MPH stretch of road on my way to work and the spoiler would always raise up at 56MPH every time.. never seemed to freeze up.

My MFA doesn't show outside temp either!! Didn't think any of them did so i'd have to live with it, but that's annoyed me now!! I have driven time, mpg, miles and oil temp, that's it! :mad:

The MFA misses out the reading if the outside temp probes reading is out of range... This can be caused by either a faulty or missing sender... The sensor lives in the front bumper just where the brake cooling duct is/should be on the RH side of the car. 8)

never happened to me last winter mate....

Spoiler froze over a couple of times but never stopped working.

the spoiler stops your car leaving the road at high speeds, not very safe stopping that from working really eh?

eeek.....

glad I dont live near you....."and the A96 is closed again due to heavy snowfall - look out for a grey corrado - it can go fast cos its got a spoiler"

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mine worked fine, when it was -2. Only thing is, it squeaks after the cars been washed, and i have to put a little WD on it! (then i have to clean up the area where the WD40 went on the bootlid and window. no matter how gently you press WD40, it goes every-bloody-where!

I'm sure i read somewhere that it only provides any sort of useful downforce at the sort of speeds the car isnt capable of! but dont tell anyone else that, it spoils our bragging rights!

on a side note, does anyone else sit in traffic and play with the spoiler to see the reaction of the people behind? :lol:

on a side note, does anyone else sit in traffic and play with the spoiler to see the reaction of the people behind?

Yep, cant be helped sometimes.

I'm sure i read somewhere that it only provides any sort of useful downforce at the sort of speeds the car isnt capable of! but dont tell anyone else that, it spoils our bragging rights!

Approx 85+ mph according to VW

It's a myth that the spoiler produces downforce. It doesn't. What it does do is to alter the aerodynamic shape of the back of the car sufficiently to PREVENT uplift caused by the air passage over the car.

If you go around a corner quickly with the spoiler up and then try it at the same speed again but with the spoiler down then you'll notice the difference as the rear end will seem very light and you'll notice the car will tend to oversteer rather than understeer as it normally would. (DO NOT TRY THIS ON A PUBLIC ROAD! you may find yourself in a hedge! :shock: )

The C's spoiler is for EXACTLY the same reason that the TT got recalled and had the ugly little spoiler added onto the rear end of it. They found that the rear of the car got light and unpredictable at high-ish speeds (75mph+ IIRC) so cornering became more dangerous than they liked... Hence the spoiler... 8)

Oh, and I think it's pretty much compulsary to play with the spoiler when in traffic with a boy racer up your rear end! 8) :lol:

It's a myth that the spoiler produces downforce. It doesn't. What it does do is to alter the aerodynamic shape of the back of the car sufficiently to PREVENT uplift caused by the air passage over the car.

LOL, take yourself down to the Formula one pits and tell the engineers that, FBLOL!

K