Sign in to follow this  
shawshankkid

Keeping low on fuel for better performance ?

As the title says, does keeping low on fuel significantly improve performance ? keeping below a quarter of a tank seems to have a edge on performance i feel in my G60.

What are all your thoughts on the matter ?

When I have less than 1/4 tank and am on my own I can defo feel more of an urgency in acceleration.

Surely the only effect would be the lower weight if you're not carrying as much fuel?

70 litres of fuel should weight 70kg, so at a quarter full you're only carrying around 17.5 kg of fuel, so the difference in weight is probably equal to having an 8 st person in the car with you.

I wouldn't be surprised if it does feel slightly more responsive.

edit - the good Dr got in there first!

65/70 kgs would be 5 or so percent of the weight of the car, if not more, so that would make it feel 5% less torquey??? I dunno, sounds good.

Hmm, the density of petrol is only about 0.72kg/litre, so a VR6 tank of 65 litres would weigh 65 x 0.72 = 46.8kg? Still enough to make a difference to performance if it's nearly empty though...

The difference will be felt in pulling away and acceleration in the lower gears.

Acceleration at motorway speeds won't feel much different.

Remember that at this time of year, a 1/4 tank or less will heat up rapidly, reducing the effect the petrol has on intake cooling. You'll see what I mean next time you pull off a forecourt with a full (cold) tank of VPower.

Agree with everything that has been said, Petroleum does have a density / specific gravity of 0.72 (water is 1) as Serial mentioned.

I find stripping the seats out have the same effect, although the fact you can hear the exhaust more can be a psychological influence, making you think you're accelerating faster!

I always used to put £10 in my car when filling up to keep the weights down, but was warned off it by the guys here as it can strain the fuel pump...and mine is already on the way out!

The fuel pump doesn't give a floss how much fuel is in the tank, only that it doesn't run dry..... but our fuel pumps sit inside swirl pots, so that's unlikely to happen mid bend.

Sorry, I just find phrases like "Strain on the fuel pump" amusing, as if it's trying to squeeze one out or something, or trying to bench press 80 kilos.

The trouble with removing interior and seats is A) you get used to the [small] improvements and B) the calculations for your suspension kit, based on the car's unladen weight, go out the window :D

Still, we do what we can. Short of buying a McLaren F1, it's impossible to work to constants in car suspension and weight.... especially if you've been enjoying the cheeseburgers and the car has a natural tilt on the driver's side....

I think that from now on I'll be going for both a no. 1 and 2 before driving my car to ensure I weigh as little as possible and so I'm getting maximum acceleration! :wink:

The fuel pump doesn't give a floss how much fuel is in the tank, only that it doesn't run dry..... but our fuel pumps sit inside swirl pots, so that's unlikely to happen mid bend.

Sorry, I just find phrases like "Strain on the fuel pump" amusing, as if it's trying to squeeze one out or something, or trying to bench press 80 kilos.

The trouble with removing interior and seats is A) you get used to the [small] improvements and B) the calculations for your suspension kit, based on the car's unladen weight, go out the window :D

Still, we do what we can. Short of buying a McLaren F1, it's impossible to work to constants in car suspension and weight.... especially if you've been enjoying the cheeseburgers and the car has a natural tilt on the driver's side....

Ah right.... was 90% sure you were one of those who said it would strain but I guess i'm wrong! Maybe it was another Mod :scratch: :shrug: Good to know it's not straining though :grin: :salute:

If i drive my car with only a 1/4 tank enthusiasticly for 20 minutes its gone!! for the sake of a few micro seconds and what is practicly zero gain i keep at least 1/2 tank.........just in case

if people want to go noticeably faster :shrug: money is the answer :lol: not the amount of fuel you have in the tank :grin:

I think that from now on I'll be going for both a no. 1 and 2 before driving my car to ensure I weigh as little as possible and so I'm getting maximum acceleration! :wink:

The only one straining will be mic by the sounds of it ^^ :lol:

i thought the fuel pump was cooled by the fuel, and so by running it with very little fuel it would tend to run hotter, leading to quicker failure?

Anyway, I fill mine up to the top when it's empty. I think a myriad of corrado spares and tools in the boot have just as much effect as the fuel level.

i thought the fuel pump was cooled by the fuel, and so by running it with very little fuel it would tend to run hotter, leading to quicker failure?

The main pump actually sits inside a plastic "bucket" which is filled by a small lift pump (though they're both in the same assembly). The small pump is happy to cope with the fuel level outside dropping right down and running dry, that's what it's designed for, at least for short periods of time. The main pump therefore sits in about 1 litre of fuel at ALL TIMES, no matter what the fuel level in your tank. Running the car with low fuel does nothing but risk you running out somewhere embarrassing, on the whole ..

The best tried and tested way of increasing your 0-60 time is to fold the rear seats down

HTH

The best tried and tested way of increasing your 0-60 time is to fold the rear seats down

HTH

ROFL, oh god, not that again! :lol:

HTH

ROFL, oh god, not that again! :lol:

:lol: again!?

HTH

Someone find that thread, need a good chuckle

Nah, If I remember correctly it was on an Ebay ad years ago where some bloke was claiming it added 5bhp to his car or something :cuckoo:

Mine is always in the red. I cannot possibley afford a tank of fuel for one of these things :( I recon it would be the best part of £70 quid. Ive owned Rados since 2001 and cant remember ever filling right up as I have also thought about the extra weight.

Anyone remember when the TopGear lads worked out how much extra it cost to carry a beard around for a year :lol:

My valver is way better on fuel if only half full (or is that half empty!), but I think thats more to do with the leak from somewhere on the tank :D (note to self, must fix valver fuel tank leak).