KipVR

KipVR's R3.2 Storm build

Those brackets are a work of art mate :notworthy:

cheers Chris, I can't wait to bolt all the bits onto the car though, see it all together.... :D

Well, for the first time in over a year the car moved! Not far though, just from being beside the lift to actually being on the lift! It's now having the TT downpipe (which has the CAT's, flexis and lambder bosses in) modified to fit by Jon, whilst I've been scraping any suspect rust areas back.

Unfortunately there are a few more patches than I would have liked to have seen, but none of them are very bad, just surface rust that easily comes off with a wire brush attachment. I've ordered some VW underseal to put it back to how it originally was. When jon's finished tacking up the exhaust the engine's out for loom fitting and brake lines- after all the underside has had a thorough clean of course!!

Yep my jacking points are going that way too, nice choice in rims, never thought they would work.

hey pal how did it go offering up the cats into the centre tunnel with clearance?

i had to get the lambda bosses on my cats moved to stop the lambdas fouling the tunnel - PITA!

i feel kind of sick reading your build thread now i'm breaking mine :? :(

hey pal how did it go offering up the cats into the centre tunnel with clearance?

Hi Pete, there going to have to be staggered, but it all looks ok if a little tight. I'm effectively using the TT downpipe as a donor for all the bits, they are all chopped into seperate sections, then welded back together again in a slightly different order!- and not by me because my tigging is sh1te :D

i feel kind of sick reading your build thread now i'm breaking mine :? :(

I'm not bloody suprised, seems the 24v home builds either get broken or sold as soon as they are finished or not quite finished. Just hope I don't go the same way. :D

never thought they would work

You should see them in the flesh they look much better, they suit it absolutely spot on, so glad I took the chance on them, I never thought I'd say this but I think they suit the car more than RX's do. The rears need to come out a bit though, and I'm a bit worried as the fronts are quite far out without the spacers to clear the calipers but I think it'll all be good. 8)

The exhaust is now finished which was the last major part of the conversion, and Jon's done a really nice job, it looks totally factory and the tig welds are awesome. 8)

....So the engine is back out again for a thourough cleaning and repainting of the underside, wheel arches and engine bay. We rolled the car over to access everything easily, and then I did the first clean of the underside which I need to do before any spray goes on to repair any patches and respray any stone worn patches and generally bring anything back to as it originally was 13 years ago.

The rolling equipment was brilliant (grumpy roller it's called), just unbolt the wheels and bolt this on, picking the car up took two of us a lot of effort though!

When all the cleaning is done I may as well do all the new brake lines, fuel filter, put all the new plastic clips on etc whilst it's easy access. Then it's back onto its wheels for the final build. :grin:

Top work mate, loving the grumpy roller and must say I think my heart would have skipped a few beats if I put my car on that thing! :lol:

Looking forward to seeing everything back together.

Kip as ever :salute: :notworthy:

Cheers mate :D It's all Jon's equipment though!

Love the grumpy roller!! :D Ingenious!
loving the grumpy roller and must say I think my heart would have skipped a few beats if I put my car on that thing!

I was really worried the car would topple over and end up on its roof, but it's fine!! Worked really well. Don't know whey it's called a grumpy roller, presumably someone out there has a comedy surname!!

I really wish I had the patience or energy to do this! Looks immense :salute:

I really wish I had the patience or energy to do this! Looks immense :salute:

Yeah patience is required in bucketloads!!! I started this conversion in Nov 2007!

I love this thread its like a step by step guide for me doing mine. I dont think the neighbours would appreciate old grumpy roller on the road though.

I love this thread its like a step by step guide for me doing mine. I dont think the neighbours would appreciate old grumpy roller on the road though.

And no good if you live on a hill!

I have no idea, just presumed there was a guy called Mr.Grumpy! :D

Edit, just looked online, it was sold by a shop called Mr.Grumpy's for classic car restoration, the 80's equivalent of Frost today. :D

those roly poly things look awesome fun! Is it for hire? :wink: Can't believe I missed another build thread too *flicks back a few pages*

I have no idea, just presumed there was a guy called Mr.Grumpy! :D

:lol: fair enough,your doing a cracking job Kip :salute: ,wish i had the space to use a grumpy roller.

those roly poly things look awesome fun! Is it for hire? :wink: Can't believe I missed another build thread too *flicks back a few pages*

Shame on you! Yeah you can buy them from Frost, £380ish I think - so quite expensive. It's not mine but Jon's, he might well hire it out, I'll ask him for you.

fair play mate, your thread is looking great as usual :D

would be interested to see your exhaust if you manage to get some piccies of it sometime...

btw - i'm off to essex tomorrow to look at an integra. if i buy it, then i'll probably be driving home via salisbury to see the girlfriend - if you're about then i'll give you a nudge :)

hope all is well pal, speak to you soon,

Pete

omg. omg omg o_O

After reading this from page one, I can't believe I missed:

fabricating your own caliper brackets (PM me about your FEA usage, I'm intrigued about the forces/restraints/boundary conditions!)

making your own seats?!

tons of other little bits and bobs.

Pure awesomeness :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Day 2 of cleaning, starting to look much cleaner now having used the degreaser on it. can't wait to finish all the painted bits. Still have to let it down and raise it up from the other side to do the other wheel arches and sill. PM'd you monkey, glad you like the thread!

have you had the wishbones and rear axle powercoated or is that the standard VW coating?

I found the VW paint doesn't last very long at all