Sign in to follow this  
awigman

Help me spend

Hi all

Iv got about £3000 to spend on a new engine for my early valver, it still running fine but i need more power!

I would appriciate any advise on my options.. - what engine- where to get it from - where to get it fitted etc.

Obviously Stealth is only round the corner which is very handy but does anybody know what sort of money il be looking at?

Thanks

dont think youll do the r32 or 2.0tfsi for 3K guys, have a look here for sorting the valver http://www.tsr-performance.com/pages/index.asp

smiffy dont be so negative ;-)

if you're doing the work yourself you can fit and r32 for under 3k depends what you want from the car?

you could always go for a 2.8 24v, cheaper than the 3.2's and there are a few supercharger kits croping up on here and edition, i'm sure that could all be made to work for 3k!

dont think youll do the r32 or 2.0tfsi for 3K guys, have a look here for sorting the valver http://www.tsr-performance.com/pages/index.asp

smiffy dont be so negative ;-)

if you're doing the work yourself you can fit and r32 for under 3k depends what you want from the car?

you could always go for a 2.8 24v, cheaper than the 3.2's and there are a few supercharger kits croping up on here and edition, i'm sure that could all be made to work for 3k!

I have seen 2.0fsi engines go for as low as £850 so Im sure it is possible.

May be worth just selling the valver though and buying a car that has already been sorted?

Unless you're very, very handy with a spanner and wiring, £3,000 won't get you an engine conversion - so your next best bet would be a rebuild on your existing engine and some tweaking / refining.

You're only round the corner from Stealth - might be worth popping in to see Vince to see what he could reccommend for that sort of money? Can get decent power out of the 16v engines with some suitable work... (180-200BHP)

16vg60 awesome conversion 8)

*cough cough* i will be putting my 2.0 16vG60 block up for sale around christmas/new year...

and with regards to £3K for a R32 conversion, YES you can!!! £1000 for the R32 stuff £1000 for the bits-ECU VR6 subframe etc etc and £1000 getting someone to fit it. Im not saying a word, but i financed my R32 conversion by selling a set of BBS RS301s so i know it can be done....

you will have no problem selling that engine.

and yeh an r32 conversion will cost loads less than 3k, i have spent roughly half that amount on mine, but that does not take into account all the bits i sold from the vr6 which totalled approx 2.5k.

karl

To be different Id go the 16v Turbo route, really depends on what you want but the offer above sounds interesting. Not too many 16vG60's going about OR 4wd it and save up for the new engine.

you will have no problem selling that engine.

and yeh an r32 conversion will cost loads less than 3k, i have spent roughly half that amount on mine, but that does not take into account all the bits i sold from the vr6 which totalled approx 2.5k.

karl

Karl what did you sell other than the engine? Could this conversion be cheaper than I first though lol?

well Ben, i sold all/most the stuff i needed for either the rotrex/turbo conversion ie, arp bolts/spacer gasket/injectors/helix clutch etc etc.

but i did buy the whole r32 engine with the gearbox for £350, then sold the gearbox/mounts/TB/starter motor etc etc for nearly £500 so the actual engine ended up costing me -£150

i can get a good bargain sometimes.

Rebuild the original engine and turbo/supercharge it :D

any idea what sort of money this will cost?

i dont want to sell the car as i only got a respray about a year ago, and the way things are i wouldnt even get the money i spent on that back!

How about throttle bodies ?

Properly set up you can achieve 200 + bhp ! Bolt on bolt off if you ever need to sell them again. They sound insane too, especially at 7k rpm !

well Ben, i sold all/most the stuff i needed for either the rotrex/turbo conversion ie, arp bolts/spacer gasket/injectors/helix clutch etc etc.

but i did buy the whole r32 engine with the gearbox for £350, then sold the gearbox/mounts/TB/starter motor etc etc for nearly £500 so the actual engine ended up costing me -£150

i can get a good bargain sometimes.

You swine :(