-=Kris=-

Kris' VR6...

She's all standard VR6 xcept a K&N filter and all red rear lights...

if i had even half the knowhow that some of you lot had there is sooo much i would do... not to mod it or anything, but to replace all the old parts for new ones...

there is a list of things that i'd like to get done...

a big one for me is the interior! want to eventually get cream leathers all around... not easy to find tho!

i've ordered some lupo arms and blades, should have those next week... [EDIT] - They never came! :(

just had the front arms/bushes and ball joints replaced... got new rear discs and pads...

want to get the engine rebuilt.... that one will cost me so i need to really think about it before i get it done... this is purely because i know it can make all the difference if it's done properly and i'll be getting metal gaskets for it...

while thats being done i'll get the intake manifold polished and detailed...

i know this is really picky but i'll be getting a bit of the foam lining under the bonit replaced as it's wearing away a bit...

bonnet, front bumper and rear bumper will eventually be resprayed... don't like stone chips!

rear axle bushes will need replacing soon too... which is a bitch cos they are an ass to get to... i'll just replace anything that needs to be when the rear sub frame is dropped i suppose... that'll be nice n costly!

will also get her a stainless steel exhaust... i've seen that jetex one for about £330 odd...

all of this will cost a bit and like most ppl the credit crisis has left tread marks all over my bank account so it'll be a long process!

does anyone have a few grand they can lend me! :D

I wouldnt bother rebuilding the engine if it doesnt need it. If the bottom end is sound at most you could go for timing chains, head rebuild and clutch replacement. This will cost about £1500 where as a full rebuild will cost about £3000.

cheers for the comments guys...

I wouldnt bother rebuilding the engine if it doesnt need it. If the bottom end is sound at most you could go for timing chains, head rebuild and clutch replacement. This will cost about £1500 where as a full rebuild will cost about £3000.

Well it has an ever so slightly leaky head gasket, so i'll deffinately be rebuilding the head... tho i'm told that it's not that serious... the important thing is that the coolant and oil is not mixing...

£1500 isn't too bad for all that actually... i was expecting it to be more...

looks a really nice tidy example you got there mate, i know what you mean when there are bits that you know are there and you want sorting even tho other people might not notice them! lol

Right...

so after Sundays RR day at Stealth, now that i know that the engine and transmission etc are running sweet i can move on to better things!

I'm looking to restore as much of the car as i can... i know that my rear bushes are on they way out... So i'll probly get the whole car rebushed... (would be nice with powerflex all round! :luvlove: if anyone knows where i can get em for a decent price, let me know)

while doing the bushes i recon i'll get the subframes, front arms and steering rack sandblasted and powder coated

would be nice to get the car lowered slightly too... ppl keep telling me to get coilovers... so if i do then it'll be KW V1s... any more advice on this would be sweeet!

I'll probly stick in a rear ARB along the way...

EVENTUALLY i'll also get some bigger speedlines and decent brakes... but the above is my priority for the moment...

there are also a few things that need doing in the engine... have a couple of oil leaks... nothing major... power steering pipe needs replacing... and a vibra-technik front engine mount would be nice also!

so mainly just a clean up of the guts!... i have sweet FA when it comes to knowing how to do any of this, but i'd still like to do it myself, so any advice would be reeeeeally cool! and if any locals feel like helping out along the way, i've no objection to that! i'm sure i could sort yall out with a brew or 2 as a thank you! :shades:

would be nice with powerflex all round! :luvlove: if anyone knows where i can get em for a decent price, let me know)

a harsh ride will be had with these mate :shock:

but wot ever you want :D

would be nice with powerflex all round! :luvlove: if anyone knows where i can get em for a decent price, let me know)

a harsh ride will be had with these mate :shock:

but wot ever you want :D

well i'm told that OEM bushes are good for the rear axle and that TT bushes are good too... but then i've heard lots of good things about powerflextoo... sooo... i'm open to recommendation... i'm not too bothered by the ride if it handles well...

do you lose the passive rear steering with anything other than OEM on the rear axle?

Standard rear beam bushes and keep all the others factory VAG aside from the rear doughnut bush on the front wishbone; fit an R32 bush to that instead.

If you consider how long the OE stuff has lasted and the car still drives fairly well then just refit the OE stuff again.

Problem with polybushes is that the lack of movement means that anything but a track car ends up wearing the metal it's fitted too - the rear doughnut bush hole in the wishbone is a prime example, it ends up oval (and it need to flex to allow the caster/camber to work correctly.)

The big issue is do it all at once, if you change the odd bush here and there then you only end up wearing the new bush out faster due to wear in the rest of the set-up. A complete rebush ensures it all wears evenly and will last another 10 years. Depending how low you run the coilovers this will accelerate wear on the suspension bushes, well worth considering the Koni TA option with H&R springs if you want a drop of 40mm and an improvement in handling without overly compromising ride quality.

Standard rear beam bushes and keep all the others factory VAG aside from the rear doughnut bush on the front wishbone; fit an R32 bush to that instead.

If you consider how long the OE stuff has lasted and the car still drives fairly well then just refit the OE stuff again.

Problem with polybushes is that the lack of movement means that anything but a track car ends up wearing the metal it's fitted too - the rear doughnut bush hole in the wishbone is a prime example, it ends up oval (and it need to flex to allow the caster/camber to work correctly.)

The big issue is do it all at once, if you change the odd bush here and there then you only end up wearing the new bush out faster due to wear in the rest of the set-up. A complete rebush ensures it all wears evenly and will last another 10 years.

cheers for that... well thats a fairly good 2nd opinion then...

yeah it was my intention to get the whole car done at once...

when you say....

Standard rear beam bushes and keep all the others factory VAG

Do you mean the stock stuff all around, or so long as it's VAG on the others it should be good... so TT Bushes would do?

SEE TOLD YA MATE :D

:lol: it's not like i didn't believe you Kel! It's just always good to get a 2nd opinion... or as many as you can get! lol

so what suspension are you gonna get kw v1 ?

yeah... i was thinking that... tho they are a bit pricy... so they will be one of the last things i do...

bushings and poweder coating is the 1st thing i want to do...

so what suspension are you gonna get kw v1 ?

yeah... i was thinking that... tho they are a bit pricy... so they will be one of the last things i do...

bushings and poweder coating is the 1st thing i want to do...

hairy muff mate

Get VAG stuff, I don't know about the TT rear axle bushes but I suspect they wont fit! I think you may have confused the front rear wishbone bush that can be fitted with an R32/TT one. But the point remains, go for all genuine VW stuff, it just lasts a lot longer and fits properly.