Sign in to follow this  
DEL VR6

can a VR6 Storm be worth £5000?

Evening boys & girls.

Seeing Corrado values getting lower and lower, can anyone say if a Storm is still worth 5k?

The reason i am wondering is because i met someone today who owns a Green storm - a car i know quite well (in green) and plans to sell it and wants £5k for it.

He has owned the car since it was about 18-24 months old. He is the 2nd owner and it has now covered about 100'000 miles (apparently mostly motorway)

I have known the car from seeing it around for many many years and it is an example that has been looked after regardless of cost, and the owner is lets say - an "older" guy and defo well off enough to keep the car in tip top condition and the car has every single bill / mot / receipt etc. Apparently, the only deviation from stock is that it sits on 16" OZ Polaris wheels which have been on the car from day 1.

Now i know that a car is only what someone is willing to pay for it, and if i didnt have a VR6 of my own, i'd be tempted (although not at that price) cos it's such a well kept unmolested car with a great history file and 2nd owner etc, so is it realistic for him to expect to sell the car for £5k? Seeing as i took the decision not to sell my VR6 about a year ago, I havent really been keeping a keen eye in the for sale sections but have noticed good examples going for less and less money.

As you say its worth what someone is willing to pay for it but its also to the owner it is worth whatever figure he has in his head.

A middle ground will need to be reached.

I have a figure in my head what my C is worth and wouldnt sell it for any less, in fact Im sure I wouldnt get offers as high as my figure!

It aint worth 5k in this climate to be honest Del - not in my opinion anyway. Not unless it'd had significant engine / high mileage type work done on it. At 100k, if it's basically been untouched and had nothing but routine servicing, chances are you're going to have a lot of stuff to replace on it.

I'd offer him £3.5k - £4k at the absolute tops..

It aint worth 5k in this climate to be honest Del - not in my opinion anyway. Not unless it'd had significant engine / high mileage type work done on it. At 100k, if it's basically been untouched and had nothing but routine servicing, chances are you're going to have a lot of stuff to replace on it.

I'd offer him £3.5k - £4k at the absolute tops..

I agree. If it had had chains, maybe a topend rebuild and HG done perhaps. Although you never know with limited edition models of cars - there's always someone out there.

Might have been worth £5K a few years ago but not now IMO... all used cars have dropped significantly due to the current climate and this chap should be aware of that! Have a chat with him and see if he'd consider something a bit lower.

Thats the sort of replies i was hoping to get, and to be fair its about what i thought too.

The thing is, alot of the people on here have your ear more 'to the ground' with than me, which is why you would have a better idea than me about values and what is realistic etc.

I wonder if he will advertise it with "rare karmann interior" :lol:

I guess its a case of him trying his luck, and either the right person (more money than sense maybe?) with the right money will come along and snap it up OR after a few months of trying with no success, he will get a reality check and lower his expectations & asking price to well under 4k, and perhaps a real enthusiast with the correct amount of money will buy it and continue to look after it as it has been all these years.

I paid well under 5k for my VR6 in August of 2003, nearly 6 years ago - it had only covered 48'000 miles and it was owned by a very rich farmer who pampered the car with VAG parts / service only. I seem to remember that at the time it seemed quite well priced and similar Storms were going for £7-8k at least.

Im sure im not the only one who would say i wouldnt dream of letting mine go for 5k.. Ill be waiting until prices rise again and then putting her up for sale...

Im sure there are several cars on here, not just storms that are worth over the 5k mark, easily..

What is it with the constant .......'s ?? :lol: I thought that was an E38 thing...... :tongue:

....all it needs is another top gear/fifth gear review and prices will rocket again......I think........I hope.......i wish :D

Oh, and i'd agree with Phil, i'm not sure that prices will rise significantly......

me too. I can't see any reason why they would. It's always been an under-rated car and it seems it's also an under valued car too.

I just sold my Storm for £5K on the nose....

It's worth what someone will pay for it...

I paid £5K for mine 4 months ago. To be honest, it's the best car I've had and I would've paid more.

Thats the sort of replies i was hoping to get, and to be fair its about what i thought too.

The thing is, alot of the people on here have your ear more 'to the ground' with than me, which is why you would have a better idea than me about values and what is realistic etc.

I wonder if he will advertise it with "rare karmann interior" :lol:

I guess its a case of him trying his luck, and either the right person (more money than sense maybe?) with the right money will come along and snap it up OR after a few months of trying with no success, he will get a reality check and lower his expectations & asking price to well under 4k, and perhaps a real enthusiast with the correct amount of money will buy it and continue to look after it as it has been all these years.

I paid well under 5k for my VR6 in August of 2003, nearly 6 years ago - it had only covered 48'000 miles and it was owned by a very rich farmer who pampered the car with VAG parts / service only. I seem to remember that at the time it seemed quite well priced and similar Storms were going for £7-8k at least.

The fact that you're looking at it with a price tag of 5k means you're interested and you've got the cash to spend. If he won't lower it considerably, think whether you're prepared to spend a bit of a premium getting the car you really want. Remember, even if prices don't go back up, you're never going to lose as much as if it was a 'nearly new' car so I'd say get it, enjoy it and worry about the few hundred quid you may have saved another time!

just to clarify, i am not looking for buying advice for me personally about the car in question. I might not have made it clear that i already own a VR6 and am not looking for another Corrado.

The thread was more about Storm values and whether the car in question is priced at the right bench mark taking into account current market values / recently sold cars etc (which as i said, i'm not all that clued up on)

Also, the owner has said to me "if you know any of your Corrado mates who may be intersted in it, i'll drop you my details". To which my own inital reaction was "5k seems a bit steep, but im no expert - but i know a few people that are" There are people on here (many of whom have already posted) who's opinion's i value highly, hence the thread.

I reckon that some Storms are worth £5,000 or even more still. The point I was making was that it wasn't worth it if it had not had some high mileage work done. If it had only ever had regular servicing and nothing more then I wouldn't have gone near it unless it was, cosmetically at least, absolutely perfect.

Looks to me like prices are declining at a faster rate than I've seen for a couple a years for all VR6s not just Storms. Totally unmodified 100K would be struggling to get to £5000. One came up last week @72K and £4595! 3 or 4 months before that there were Storms @84K and 95K for £6,000.

My insurance agreed valuation @£7,000 looks better than it did a year ago but like most if not all here I'm not in it for a profit. I guess the falling prices are a bigger worry if you are just looking to have the car for a couple of years or are worried that it might get nicked or written off. Think it will be a long, long time before prices rise or even bottom out

My insurance agreed valuation @£7,000 looks better than it did a year ago

Indeed Voughn. Im pretty chuffed mine has an agreed £7.5k considering the current climate!!! I know I paid a lot more for my standard Storm (with 58k miles) a few years back. But saying that I got £5.7k for the Green Storm with 126k miles so it looks like prices are decked at the mo however I still get asked "is it for sale?" enough so folk still like them ........ (sorry couldnt resist the ......) I even got a comment today about it & its been in the garage since Sept!! (guy saw pic on facebook)

I think 5k may be steep at the mo - but I know mine wouldnt be driven off for that. So its down to the old "its worth what a guy who wants a nice, std, 2 owner car is willing to pay"

2p worth (or free to forum members) :lol:

A mate of mine made a good point on this topic today:

The Corrado now has some seriously good and much newer rivals in the same price range, which wasn't the case a couple of years ago. For example, you can pick up much newer CLK, TT, SLK, RX8 and come away with change from £5/6K.

The Corrado's a cracking car, and I had great fun in the 2 years I had mine, but some of the cars above look sorely tempting for the same price of a decent Storm...(sorry, couldn't help myself)

One came up last week @72K and £4595! 3 or 4 months before that there were Storms @84K and 95K for £6,000.

That's what I paid for mine 6 years ago (give or take a few quid) with the same mileage. 6 years is a long time in the s/hand car market, so that seller did bloody well to get that amount for it now!

Storms with ~ 30-40K on them 6 years ago were around the £10K mark in my area.

My insurance agreed valuation @£7,000 looks better than it did a year ago but like most if not all here I'm not in it for a profit.

Brentacre would only agree £6K on mine and there's twice that in the engine and management alone :? Just proves what a lottery agreed value is imo, 'agreed' value in their opinion it seems, and only if it's a non fault claim, otherwise it's book value.

I guess the falling prices are a bigger worry if you are just looking to have the car for a couple of years or are worried that it might get nicked or written off. Think it will be a long, long time before prices rise or even bottom out

Agreed. My Corrado's value is irrelevant to me, I wouldn't sell it if someone offered me £10K for it, it's worth more to me as an enjoyable car than a fistful of dorrar. No other car has kept me entertained, occupied and enthusiastic about driving like the Corrado has and you can't put a price on that imo.

Besides, what else could you do with £10Kt these days? Put in savings and get f'ck all back, or buy a modern car and get f'ck all back (or lose money in fact), so my advice is if you have a Corrado you're fond of, hang onto it!

Just look at the forsale section on here. I can't believe some of the cars on there are not only the price they are but that they haven't sold at that price! It's a sorry state of affairs at the moment that the quickest, easiest and most profitable way of selling a Corrado is in Jiffy bags. :(