Sign in to follow this  
The_Dude

Thinking of selling up :( what would you buy?

here ya go Kev, a future classic BMW http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww ... egLetter=N

I was expecting that to be awesome from the stats, but that 280bhp is hounded by a 2.2ton weight! Anyone driven one, wonder what it's like.

Jim - If it was my money and I wanted to go very very fast for as little as possible I'm afraid the only place you can truely look is Scooby's and Evo's. Budget of £7000 gets you a Scooby P1, very rare, awesome handling and speed. Or a decent Evo 6-7, again very fast, great handling and speed but not exactly rare.

The only major problem I have with these kinds of cars is that they are very highly stressed, trying to eek 350+bhp from a 2 litre, high service and running costs plus the usual 'image' problems. After doing a trackday in a WRX and Evo 8 I was determined to get one but the wife said she wouldn't go in it so I guess I'm stuck with the Corrado and doing the 24vT conversion.

I guess at the end of the day what do you want from the car? Exclusivity? Speed? Handling? Modernity? etc etc? :shrug: Like I said earlier, I think you'll be surprised how little you can get in the performance car bracket for less than say £8K unless you go old, high miles, or popular.

well Mic,

the one to get with an 840i is the 4.4v8 version, as this is the same engine as fitted to the newer 7/5 series 40's. it "may" only have 280bhp and about 360lb but for one its an alloy block so the engine is nice and light plus its mated to still one of the best auto boxes known to man when in sport mode. put one of these next to a mildly modded vr6 and upto 60 there will be nothing in it all, but after 60mph the 840 will just breeze past and keep on going all the way to 155mhp.

how do i know this?? i told you my old man was a BMW geek who has owned virtually every performance BMW made, so we had a race one day :lol:

and as per normal CF threads this has gone off topic again :lol:

nah its not OT Karl, its good to get stats and opinions plus the 8 series is an amazing looking beast. i've always wanted one, but i'm sure they'd cost a bomb to service.

its looking pretty glum tho, not much out there for my budget for the performance i want. You make a really good point about evos Mic, stressed isn't the word, timebomb is more appropriate!

what about one of these http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/ww ... gLetter=53

yeh ok its a vauxhall :gag: but the engine is a very good, and a re-map will see about 260bhp.

and you will be surprised at how much parts are from BMW, they are actually cheaper than VW for spares.

you should be flogged for suggesting that! where's tom when ya need him? :D i hate vauxhalls, and had two astras before my valver, one being a crummy mk3 gsi. it was super weak. plus that ^^^ is one ugly car. :pukeright:

i may bring out the haters now but one of my major reasons is air-con. it does my nut how hot the C gets and the heaters are just poop. yes retro fit a/c, climatronic blah, but i do feel like a change is on the cards.

ok i'll get my coat and leave :(

nothing personal dude, i just hate astras with a passion! :D

its looking pretty glum tho, not much out there for my budget for the performance i want. You make a really good point about evos Mic, stressed isn't the word, timebomb is more appropriate!

Have to disagree with Mic

Evo 5's and 6's are no where near stressed at 350bhp the block is bomb proof. Evo 3's will run 280/300 with not a lot of work either and quite happily running std internals.

i guess it depends what you want from the car. For me the Corrado has superb looks and styling, very rare hence unique and a great engine sound. OK so i have aircon, which makes it more comfortable, but i ts also an interetsing car to work on. I would rather modify it than replace it, if possible. The most amount of work would be new engine, new gearbox (doing the auto swop soon), new dash and new front seats. That would cost less than anything else worth buying and i'd still have an individual car. Its up to you of course, though.

the uniqeness is also why i have always loved the 8 series, KADVR6 is right the 840 is superb. Needs a better dash but it a great cruiser, get a later S or T plate.

I was in a similar situation recently, I use my car for work so needed something newer and more reliable than the corrado. Was thinking of the usual fast germans, bmw m3, c43 amg, audi s3, s4, TT, golf r32 etc. but I've heard too many horror stories of extremely large repair bills so decided against them. What I really wanted was an Elise but I needed something with a bigger boot and isn't such a pain to get in and out of (I'm 6ft 3).

Anyway, I got a completely standard, low mileage, dark blue '02 bugeye wrx and for the most part it's brilliant, my old valver had coilovers and arb's so handled really well but the impreza's in a different league, wet or dry the speeds it can corner are frankly ridiculous. Acceleration from a standing start is fantastic, it's only 215bhp but still gets to 60 in 5.9s. They're also very reliable, you never really hear of people having problems with them, apart from the ones that are very heavily tuned or poorly maintained.

The only bad points are the front end ain't pretty, fuel consumption is poor, it lacks power at low revs and some people look at you like you're a complete tw@t even when you're driving like an old man.

Other than that I couldn't find another car for that kind of money that was as reliable and quick as the impreza. Apart from evo's that is, but insurance quotes for them were more than double the subaru.

You could maybe get a Supra twin turbo at that price?

RX-7 is a good bet if you get a good one and use some premix, I dont know where you got the idea that there bad on track from...

You could maybe get a Supra twin turbo at that price?

RX-7 is a good bet if you get a good one and use some premix, I dont know where you got the idea that there bad on track from...

No, I was saying I was bad on a track as I found out at Snetterton...having driven front wheel cars all my life I'm not really expecting oversteer so when it happens I get in a kerfuffle and spin out ungraciously.

What the heck is premix?

Mixing a bit of 2-stroke in with each tank of fuel to keep the rotor tips lubricated.