Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

Engine now running at 95 degrees?

Hi chaps,

My engine has always run at 90 degree's, even after long high-speed blasts, however the last few weeks the normal running coolant temp has risen to 95 degree's .

I've changed the coolant, all 3 water temp switches and the fan switch all from Volkswagen. Any other ideas? :confused4:

Cheers.

Your life must be pretty sweet if a 5 degree increase, in something that's a massive variable, causes you to ask a bunch of strangers on the internet about it ;)

Go have a beer and stop worrying :grin:

Dude...life is peachy :D Hence I'm asking about this - its bugging me. I can't see it being the water pump and the only other thing I can think of is to change the radiator. The fan kicks still kicks in at the right levels.

Lots of them run at around or a fraction over 100, so why bother about it running at 95??

Lots of them run at around or a fraction over 100, so why bother about it running at 95??

That ain't right at all Tom!

ALL VW's should run with the gauge bang in the middle on 90 degree's - if it seems to be consistently higher or lower then there is a fault.

Temp gauge's in the corrado are notoriously inaccurate, mine started to gain higher readings in the last year and had it checked out with a 'independant gauge' and the cars reading was quite far out......I wouldnt worry to much mate but to put your mind at rest just get it tested.

as said though 95 is fine.

ALL VW's should run with the gauge bang in the middle on 90 degree's - if it seems to be consistently higher or lower then there is a fault.

I've seen/driven quite a few that hover around 100 degrees. At the end of the day we're talking about 3 or 4% difference and on a gauge that small, old and with such a huge number of variables, so is it really that surprising?

I've seen/driven quite a few that hover around 100 degrees. At the end of the day we're talking about 3 or 4% difference and on a gauge that small, old and with such a huge number of variables, so is it really that surprising?

My gauge is at 95ish when rolling on the motorway and 100 when the fans come on. i'm not particularly worried about that. Everything comes on and goes off, and the ECU says the temp is fine.

Yeah mine hovers around the 100, and to be honest I'm chuffed its just finally working properley! its a 15 year old car with 144k on the clock, I can't grumble about it running a few degrees hotter than I would like it to :D

MIne can often run below 70 according to the guage - thats if im driving steady with no traffic. It will go back up if i give it some beans or get stuck in traffic. Though most of the time its spot on 90.

I dont think you have anything to worry about tbh.

if ypu are comcerned about it, drain teh system out, flush it thoroughly with a good flush additive and refill with fresh coolant. Also, best to use deionised water.

Don't think I've ever seen a Corrado temp gauge that sits dead on 90 centigrade to be honest!

MIne can often run below 70 according to the guage - thats if im driving steady with no traffic. It will go back up if i give it some beans or get stuck in traffic. Though most of the time its spot on 90.

I dont think you have anything to worry about tbh.

I know I've only got a 1.8 valver but my gauge often sits at 70, or just below, when driving along at a steady pace. If I'm stuck in traffic it'll rise pretty quickly though, with the fan coming on when the gauge is around 96. Tends not to climb any further than that once the fan is on, but doesn't really drop either. Oil will reach 98-100 at these points, generally flicking between 98 and 100 constantly. Oil when driving normally tends to be low to mid 80s.

My VR runs smoothly at just under 90degrees when moving, however very short spells in traffic etc it creeps up quite quickly past the 100 mark. What temp should the fans kick in?

As soon as it's moving again tho it comes quite happily back down to 90!

My VR runs smoothly at just under 90degrees when moving, however very short spells in traffic etc it creeps up quite quickly past the 100 mark. What temp should the fans kick in?

Found the info! :D

Don't think I've ever seen a Corrado temp gauge that sits dead on 90 centigrade to be honest!

yeah,my golf mk 3 dosn't move from 90.Under any conditions.

However the g60 goes down below 80 when on the motorway and around 90 in slow traffic etc.

100 would start to make me feel uncomfortable though,but as I said if the system still has it under control and it isn't climbing further ...

Mines exactly the same mate and has been for a while now, it worried me a bit before which is why I had it checked out and found the gauges are quite far out.

Glad we've all had another water temp discussion, the summer wouldnt be the same without it :D

my VR sits happily at about 75 unless im in traffic when it creeps upto 90-95 when the fan kicks in *touch wood*

Ive lost count of how many Corrados ive had and NONE of them have sat dead on 90deg like every other VW i've had does, i'm not sure why they don't and its really annoying as it makes you have to keep much more of an eye on the temp.

In answer to the original post, i'd go with the rad, it could just be clogged up a bit. When your cars been running at a certain temp for X amount of years and miles there's definitely something up if it suddenly changes, and I always want to work out what that is and get it sorted!

The thermostat opens at about 80 degrees on a VR so if you are moving fast enough ( > 40mph usually ) the water temp should be rock solid 80 degrees. But it never is because the stat opens progressively, over a temperature range, and the sensor isn't that accurate, and the gauge isn't that accurate.

Fans speed 1 should come on at 92, speed 2 at 98 and high speed at about 108 degrees.

My water sits at about 95ish and the oil at about 102 on the ABF engine. Its not different apart from one ot two degrees to the old KR that used to be in there! It also varies while on the motor way!