Sign in to follow this  
Jim

More insurance grumbling....

So with the impending swap to a VR6, it's back to ringing around for insurance. The 16v is covered on a classic, low mileage policy and is a very reasonable £250'ish.

The VR will be going onto a 'normal' policy so I can use it for some daily driver duties and so that I have somewhere to park my 9 years NCB. So far, it's a disappointing show from the usual suspects tbh.

Chris Knott : £531

Brentacre: £489.95

HIC: £475

Adrian Flux: "We can't compete with HIC... sorry...." (er, great...)

Just waiting for Chris Knott to try a bit harder on my quote and come back to me with a better figure.

HIC were at great pains to tell me how much of a 'deal' they had done me with that quote and that I should phone them back as soon as possible to secure the deal. I suppose the question I want to know is, why is it so hard for me to get a reasonable quote on insurance. I appreciate the VR6 is group 18 but as I say I have 9 years no claims, I've never had any points or anything, have made no claims in the last 5 years or had no accidents, I live in a decent enough area and the car will be parked on the driveway.. and I'm nearly 30. Not sure what else I need to do to prove to insurers that I'm not a liability?!

I'm with Performance direct so may be worth a call (0844 573 3507). When I was 29 the quotes I was getting were in the late 500 to early 600 mark so maybe that's about right for what is still a group 18/19 car and considered "nickable" by modern standards ?

NB: HIC are a sister company to Adrian Flux so that's probably why they won't quote against each other.

Personally I'd bite the bullet, run the Vr for 12 months then switch the policy to a classic policy and transfer the NCB on to the 16v. Your decision at the end of the day though.

You're still not that an attractive risk to insurers I'm afraid Jim.

Parking up in a garage over night would knock more off, a lower rated post code than Coventry would knock another bit off etc and as you've gone from a limited mileage to daily, that adds an enormous amount of risk. Even the Valver policy would increase from that change alone. And not forgetting of course going from 136hp to 190hp and a car that is more expensive to repair.

And they also say premiums drop when hit 25, but they don't really drop until you're past 35 mate :D

Jim

I was in a similar position to you recently.

I'm 27, 9 years NCB, no points etc, parked on drive, owned Corrados before, etc etc , i phoned all the usual places and the best quote I got was with Chris Knott, which was £540.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

And they also say premiums drop when hit 25, but they don't really drop until you're past 35 mate :D

It's about the only time I'm happy at being over 35 :lol:

Good luck with the search Jim.

I paid about £600 through Chris Knott when I had OSV. That's being 29 with 4 years ncb and parked on a drive in Solihull. I'm sure it was limited to 5000 miles.

Those quotes dont sound to bad to be honest, I pay something similar with less no claims...

Its like TAX though - its unavoidable, it doesnt make sense, everyone is paying less than you and it hurts when you have to fork out for it........I've given up trying to understand it TBH :brickwall:

haggle harder!

mine wasnt alot more for my 20v turbo with all engine mods covered and i was 24 when i renewed it

sounds like exactly the same issue i was talking about the other day Jim - that all 3/4 of them are quoting the same ultimate insurance company (highway) and so you cant get them into a bidding war. i think the extra mileage will be making more of a difference than you realise too, upto £70-80.

as someone said in your thread the other day though, it will be worth it :D

Ive just come to renewing my insurance on my vr rado and yet again its gone up :(

Im 28 have full no claims and a clean licence.

last year i was paying £480 fully comp with protected no claims, This year is £560 for exactly the same policy...

I know shopping around is the best policy but ive been with privilege for four years and their usually pretty even with other companys...

When i got the rado i was 22 and my old insurance company quoted me £2500 fully comp :nuts: I did the compare crap and found i could get it for £650 fully comp, so went back to them and on the spot they agreed to do it for the same.... :D

I did the same this time and can get the exact same cover through atleast 5 other companys for £340, i went back to privilege and there on the spot said they would drop it to £520 -

Why are they such robbing :censored: Im nearly paying the same as i was when i got the car :roll:

Im taking my car off the road for a few months to do various things,asked how much a j reg 1.2 renault clio would be to as a run around £270. :lol: About £269 more than its worth :lol:

Im now shopping around some more, this time il have to look for vr insurance with mods. :eek:

Yep, getting to 30 made a huge difference with my insurance, I couldn't believe just how much too! My VR6 is insured with Direct Line , parked on the road with no mileage limitations, wifes also covered fully comp - £245 - Whereas before I got to 30 it was up over £400

I'm with Privilege and have been for a few years. I'm 28, clean licence, no accidents and paid £363 this year on my Storm (1 group higher than a standard VR according to my insurers).

Last year I paid about £390, they quoted me over £400 for my renewal and after a quick phone call to tell them I was going to cancel, they knocked nearly £50 off.

I'm sure it'll go up a bit when I tell them about the impending mods but not a bad quote to start with I don't think.

I went on http://www.confused.com initially and tinkered about with different things - adding my wife, playing around with excesses etc. Worth spending half an hour doing as the savings can be superb :clap:

hi

try american express insurance

34, 3pts ( now gone ) , 7yrs ncb, vr6 mods suspension and air-filter and alloys ( I said minimum performance gain ), plus parked on road and 12000 miles, only £269 fully comp £250 excess

got it from moneysupermarket.com

hope this helps

Just for curiosity i just got a quote with privilege as a new customer .

on a identical policy to my current vr £410 instead of the £560 for being a valued customer.

What a :censored: rip off, does nobody value keeping existing customers?

Seems like good deals can be had then? I know insurers have targets to hit monthly so try going back to them later in the month and see if they're a bit more flexible then.

Just confused.commed my car with the supercharger, lowered, alloys, roll bars and exhaust as modifications and the cheapest was £509.

That was with an £800 excess though!

I'm up to re-new my insurance now and some of the prices people are saying are amazing. A friend on a classic policy is paying low £200's for a VR.

My current insurer HIC can re-new for £352 fully comp, not protected. Brentacre can do protected NC, all mods and power limit to 210bhp for £390. More but sounds a better policy with free changes for future mods. Still sounds like a lot of money. I'm 35, 10yrs NCD, no accidents/claims/convictions etc, park on road and not sure about a mileage limit.

Any thoughts guys? All other companies have been over these prices. Chris Knott couldn't even price it due to what I'd already been priced.

no, thats it, like it or lump it! we're all getting the same - there's only one insurer behind all these brokers = no more reduction.

I'm down to 449 with Chris Knott now... gonna try Brentacre one last time I think. Losing the will to live with it now.

It's an absolute joke.

I've got a VR6 and a G60, and the G60 was up for renewal in January. I had 5yrs NCB on it and was quoted £350ish TPFT. I thought I'd be clever and move my other 13yrs NCB from the VR6 over to the G60, (seeing as I've now got that on a classic policy..) and the broker - Chris Snot - still wouldnt budge a penny!!

'Sorry sir, we've given you the maximum discounts..' wtf..? :cuckoo:

VR6 is ok though, on a classic agreed value policy for £275! :D

VR6 is ok though, on a classic agreed value policy for £275! :D

who is that with just out of interest??

Age and additional drivers on the policy seem to have been the key factors when I have been insurance hunting. Adding the wife to my policy and vice versa dropped the price approx £40.

I plumbed for the Admiral multi car policy this year which worked out at about £830 for the VR + 16v + A3 + Golf GT, All fully comp and with mods.

Just got my renewal through from direct line, i'm 26 with 6y NCD. last year i got £550 fully comp on my VR, opened my renewal letter......£1200! absolutely nothing has changed apart from getting older and more NCD!

I rang them today and they said that because of the bad winter there were a lot more claims than usual so they basically didn't rake in as much as they normally do so they have changed all their ratings. they are screwing over anyone under 30 and anyone with high insurance group cars to make their money back and i luckily fall into both of those groups! i've tried the comparison websites and they are all the same.

I'm forced to put it in the garage and get a 1.0l to run around in until they come down again!

Not happy!

I got insured with greenlight. All mods declared including engine conversion, fully comp, 25 with 7 years no claims. £430 protected