stormseeker

VAG-COM scanning & help

Having some spares is dam handy, good luck with it.

Not had mine long so soaking up as much info here as i can.

Yeah, I'll post up the outcome after ive swapped them over and rescanned it

All i can find on error code 00280 is this thread, but his code just disappeared...

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?56290-Please-help-me-end-my-ABS-nightmare!-Fixed...ish! there isnt even anything on the Ross Tech wiki!

Edited by eugopnosaj

00280 - Valve 2 for Electronic Diff Lock (Traction Control)

Cause:

Faulty cable wire in circuit (external or internal to valve block).

Electrical Plug Connector - valve block body.

Valve coil.

Looks like the problems lies inside the ABS/EDL valve block with the wiring to the valve block.

Anybody in the poole/bournemouth are who can help me

I have my ABS light coming on randomly, all wheel speed sensors checked and measure 1K ohm each

forgot to mention i have the 2+2 connector

Vag-com shows few ABS codes, but when trying to clear them out... it just says: "link error". Any ideas?

I'm trying for a 3rd time to get this working. No joy.

I've put it on COM3 (as advised). Tried it with all ignition positions. Changed baud rates etc. Non-OEM stereo removed as well. I get clicking from a relay near the switch for the lights, I hear thats normal though.

The ABS check gives me "too many communication errors to continue" and the Engine option says it can't communicate. Any ideas?

I've put it on COM3 (as advised). Tried it with all ignition positions. Changed baud rates etc. Non-OEM stereo removed as well. I get clicking from a relay near the switch for the lights, I hear thats normal though.

The ABS check gives me "too many communication errors to continue" and the Engine option says it can't communicate. Any ideas?

I gave up trying to get VAGCOM working long ago..

Try using their other software, VCDS Lite:

http://download.ross-tech.com/VCDS/download/Lite100/VCDS-Lite-1.1-Installer.exe

That works for me

This is the right topic for VAG-COM too, and I get the same errors as you do if I try to use it :)

VCDS Lite brings up all the fault codes too, I think. (Well, it works for me whenever I get ABS errors)

Nothing for me! I want to read the codes, to see if I need to get anything sorted, especially as I'm having issues with it stalling when turned on from cold.

Where abouts are you based?

There's a few peeps on here who could help out. Page 1 of the thread shows users who can scan it for you, although this is an 8 year old thread now so some of them have probably disappeared :)

Lets us know where abouts are you. Vag-com and vcds is the same software, its just a newer version and ross tech (the developer) decided to change the name... Im near heathrow airport if that helps, I would be able to help you with the software

You need to change the latency on the usb port your using, if it's too high the ecu won't talk. I set mine to 5.

Thanks Elliott, changing the latency allowed the ABS module to work, got the codes and now cleared them.

But, the 01-engine one still won't read! Is there something up with the ecu?

Edited by sam2.0

If you need to scan the engine ecu then this method worked for me...

1- Change the baud rate to 4800.

2- Plug the cable in.

3- With the ignition off select the engine module in vcds and start.

4- In the top left it should be trying to connect. (counting down untill next try)

5- As its counting down turn the ignition on and wait..... it should now connect to the ecu :thumbleft:

Give it a go and let me know, i'll try again on mine as i'm trying to remember if thats correct? Maybe someone else could confirm this?

Good luck

2- Plug the cable in.

4- In the top left it should be trying to connect. (counting down untill next try)

5- As its counting down turn the ignition on and wait..... it should now connect to the ecu :thumbleft:

Give it a go and let me know, i'll try again on mine as i'm trying to remember if thats correct? Maybe someone else could confirm this?

Good luck

That will do it. If still problems, then if its a 3rd party diagnostics lead, not Ross-Tech, the ECU can be fickle about the lead's electronics.

2- Plug the cable in.

Good luck

Just tried it. No go. Tried letting it do a few rounds then on, ignition on straight away. etc. Nothing worked. I can still read the ABS codes though, so it can't be the cable, can it ?

It could be the baud rate but any slower and it could take a while, it should work? I think i waited for the 4sec countdown then turned the ignition on during the countdown. I think it's all about timing but maybe it's just your luck whether you get a good cable or not.

On the lower down baud rates I get a click from the headlight switch area, so it sounds like its doing something. Sill no joy though.

so it can't be the cable, can it ?

Yes, the Engine ECU is fickle as said. Need to be precise with the digital signal shaping.

The ABS working is not proof the cable is compatible with the engine ECU.

What cable have you got?

Is it the transparent blue one? I bought one of those and it's never worked properly..

I ended up buying one from someone on here, which is opto-isolated. Don't think the blue one was opto-isolated, and I've heard they work better with the older VW's