Sign in to follow this  
KADVR6

Aaaargh cant decide on what car next

really dont wannna get rid of my 540i sport as i really do love the car, but i need a hatchback due to the dog etc etc, i have bought a mk2 golf gti for doing that but its just made me realise that i need a more practical car :(

but cant decide between

1, http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

2, http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

i'm liking the audi because its got a proper mans engine in it, and it goes really well straight out the box, i also still have my v1 in the shed which i was going to put onto the BMW. The golf looks slightly better?? is better on fuel (like i really care) and with a re-map will be good for about 280ish bhp.

love both of them but just cant decide, what do peeps on here think.

karl

I think I'd personally go for the Golf. It might only be 2 wheel drive, but as you say it looks better, will probably depreciate slower and is likely to be more fun to drive with 280bhp.

Just my opinion!

after watching this

if anybody is really like that that owns an a3 i think i will be buying a golf :lol:

IF YOUR AT WORK BEWARE AS THERES SWEARING IN THE ABOVE LINK

A workmate of mine is now selling his 2004 A3 3.2 for a 2005 Golf GTi. The A3 makes my Leon seem like an economical runabout.

A workmate of mine is now selling his 2004 A3 3.2 for a 2005 Golf GTi. The A3 makes my Leon seem like an economical runabout.

really? How bad is the a3 then for economy?

Can't deny it lads but... the Audi is the better car 8) it depends what you're needs are. Do you follow your heart or your head?

Have you seen the Corrado estate yet? :)

My brother has one, expect low 20's unless you drive like a grandma. And I think you really will struggle to fit a V1 in there.

They feel quick due to the low down power but gained next to no ground on me in my VR when I was following him.

i wondered if that video was a reply to this one which showed up next to it of an A3 turbo

- it wasn't but interesting that that turbo upgrade was 12,900 euros or about £10k!

but anyway Karl, i think if you bought the Golf you would be wishing you had the V6 very soon afterwards, just knowing your preference for proper engines!

good point James 8) and yeh John i do like proper engines, so it looks like the heart is gonna win over the head.

looking at another a3 later today (after i have sobered up) and i can live with an mpg in the low 20's as its better than what i'm getting with the 4.4v8 at the moment :lol:

Seems like a nice car, try to find out from the last few MOTs that the mileage is correct and before you buy it get a diagnostic check done to make sure the computers are working ok, i've heard water ingress can cause havoc with the can bus system. Personally i wouldnt buy it without the service history or knowing that its cchanged hands that many times.

It seems like even on a run he's never seen 25mpg. However, he is 22 with 250bhp so that's hardly surprising. I don't think the economy would put me off the A3 if that's what I wanted, but I do appreciate a turbo-charged engine these days.

Now you've had the 540 for a while Karl, how have you found it? Do you enjoy it? Do you miss Corrado's? Interested to know as I really like the thought of something like a 540 or big engined Merc in the not too distant future and want to work out whether it'd be worth sacrificing Corrado's for!

The S4 advant is an amazing car & one that I'd love to have one day but there is too much bad history going on with that one. S4 advant, yes. That one, no. Just my 2p

Now you've had the 540 for a while Karl, how have you found it? Do you enjoy it? Do you miss Corrado's? Interested to know as I really like the thought of something like a 540 or big engined Merc in the not too distant future and want to work out whether it'd be worth sacrificing Corrado's for!

in all honesty Jim i'm really gonna miss the BM, its very quite/comfy when you want it to be, then you if put it into attack mode (thats what i call it when i put it into sports manual and turn the traction control off) its a real beast, put it this way i was easily pulling away from a mates mk3 charged vr6 a few weeks ago and hes got 285bhp, the bm how been rolling roaded at 315bhp but its 315 horses that are all being used.

do i miss corrado's?? answer is a simple YES, but i would not have one over the BM i have at the moment, one day when circumstances change or get bettter i will have another one.

if your anywhere near Birmingham or sutton coldfield soon drop me a pm mate and i will happily take you out for a spin

karl

Seems like a nice car, try to find out from the last few MOTs that the mileage is correct and before you buy it get a diagnostic check done to make sure the computers are working ok, i've heard water ingress can cause havoc with the can bus system. Personally i wouldnt buy it without the service history or knowing that its cchanged hands that many times.

Yep, damp "convenience" modules are quite a common fault on modern VAGs. Interesting really given how many years VW have had to sort that one out since the MK2 Golf :lol: A tell tale sign is non-functioning key fobs (both of them), or having to get right up to the car before it'll open.

However, that isn't the biggest concern on S4 Avants. The self levelling rear suspension is ridiculously expensive to replace, and it WILL need replacing. A lot of owners bin it and fit normal MacPhersons.

Of the 2 original choices.... A3 easily, then turbo it as James suggested. V1 defo won't fit in there if it's an electric steering pump flavour.

The Golf GTI is a brilliant drive day to day, but you can't beat the 4WD system, and get the Haldex sport controller for it and the race switch and you'll have some serious fun in the bends.

well the audi is a no no due to the sellers reluctance to tell me why its a cat c,

BUT today i have stumbled on a 53 plate golf mk4 4motion with r32 suspension and r32 anti-roll bars, that were both fitted 2 months ago brand new from vw, its got 32k on the clock with every option ticked, its a 3 door black one with BBS RC's so going to have a look at it tomorrow night.

anyone wanna buy a BMW 540i sport :(

anyone wanna buy a BMW 540i sport :(

Yeah me :lol: I LOVE your 540 looks bloody beautiful. Iron fist in a velvet glove :grin: But ironically I only have 3k for a runaround so have also been looking at 4motion Bora's or Golf's LOL. Figured 4wd would be better in the winter than RWD, saying that bet if I get one we wont get any snow this year!

Did I miss a thread about your Mk2, I have been considering one of them as well, but not sure for a daily :?

well the hunt is still on for a 4motion, but going to look at a 3 door black one next week with some nice extras

heres a quick run down on what its got extra

sure Karl,

anything particular you want to know?

basic things

black

3dr

75k full service history

hpi clear

recaro interior/armrest upgrade

climatronic aircon

auto wipers/ auto dim mirrors

6 speed