Sign in to follow this  
A5 VRX

Pub Corrado talk

Well was in the pub last night when some guy started chatting away to my mate about this and that and i sort of got roped into the conversation, dont mind really i'll speak to anyone! Talk then turns to cars and in particular my Corrado that was in the carpark, long story short this guys a mechanic in the local garage and begins to tell me why i bother with a car like that, he said "a focus 1.6 would beat that in every department especially handling", i agreed the focus is a great car all round but wouldn't beat my VR, told him about the suspension (£1100 new IIRC) its running with new mounts bearings and the rest, told me basically that coilovers are shit and are no good.....rightio

Conversation turns to the heater matrix, this guys a pro! "You dont need to take the dash out" I semi agreed saying it is ALOT easier with it out, "No no no, waste of time, I can do it in an hour " using a 306 for reference!

Never felt so stupid how he was talking down to me, i'm no mechanic but after owning countless Corrado's for the past 6 years and using this forum and info from the people that actually own these cars and know how to do the jobs in a Corradoesqe way i know i know more than him, just really pissed me off. The conversation was alot longer than that and more things arose but thats the jist of it, utter tw@t.

Rant over

sometimes its best to keep schtum, rather than mouth off and remove all doubt of being an ignorant, er, person. :) , like your mechanic 'friend'

You'll find people like that all the time, winds me up too, not that i know too much about the car, just let them enjoy their 2 minutes of fame - i just respond with a sarcy 'oh really?' and it usually conveys that i know they're talking nonsense.

Exactly what i did, just let him speak and listen to the rubbish he's talking. Wouldn't of minded a decent convo but when people are so opinionated there's nothing you can say,

it would be really funny to take someone's corrado to this mechanic's garage and pay him an hour labour to do the heater matrix; oh and leave a spy cam (like those that some members own) in the car, then enjoy!

this makes me remember when a friend of mine once said (well this friend ALWAYS has EVERYTHING better than you. if you buy a nokia in example, N90, then he says that he owns an N91 no matter if this model exists or not!). well, he once told me (when he saw me with my corrado) that a friend of his ( :roll: ) had a Corrado German Special Edition with some 345's tyres and 350HP, V8 engine... and that all these came OEM :lol: :lol: :lol:

The best you can do, is to make their lies grow, grow grow grow... the more they grow, the funnier it becomes :norty:

Never felt so stupid how he was talking down to me, i'm no mechanic but after owning countless Corrado's for the past 6 years and using this forum and info from the people that actually own these cars and know how to do the jobs in a Corradoesqe way i know i know more than him,

This is the problem with certain types of people who do certain types of jobs, if they are a mechanic and you're not a mechanic, then how could you possibly know anything about mechanics! Most frustrating.

I had this when I was learning to drive HGVs a few years ago, the guy instructing us was wrong on a couple of points of traffic law. I naturally let him know this and he hit the roof. He (a very experienced driver) couldn't comprehend that someone who was only just learning to drive artics could possibly know anything. Until that is I got the Highway code out.

Certain trades attract know-it alls, who don't really know that much.

Don't let it worry you, he knows deep down the Corrado is a far superior car and is probably jealous!

i have a mate like this, and its even worse as its not just the once you have to put up with it.

he is an expert on everything yet can't or hasn't done any expertly that i've witnessed. Always buys the cheap alternative and tells me why i shouldn't buy more expensive stuff.

i've been awaiting him to compare our cars, but i think deep down he knows mine is better :lol:

Know-it-alls and one-uppers are the two most annoying kind of people... and there's no reasoning with them, they're always right and always better, even when they're not.

...he said "a focus 1.6 would beat that in every department especially handling"...

A new Focus is a better car than a 15yr old Corrado in many ways, but would you ever glance back at a focus after you lock it up for the night. Doubt it.

In short, I think its impossible for a petrolhead to have a rational car conversation with someone who regards a car as a transportation device. One of them buys a Corrado, the other buys a Kia Rio.

"A 1.6 Focus is better than a Corrado VR6 on all levels" :lol:

The only way to shut people like that up is to ask them to prove it.

Conversation turns to the heater matrix, this guys a pro! "You dont need to take the dash out" I semi agreed saying it is ALOT easier with it out, "No no no, waste of time, I can do it in an hour " using a 306 for reference!

This guy's obviously never done a 306 matrix, you think the rados bad that is a c**t of a job on 306 took me near 8 hours too do and the dash has to come out can't do it with it in. what a :clown:

this makes me remember when a friend of mine once said (well this friend ALWAYS has EVERYTHING better than you. if you buy a nokia in example, N90, then he says that he owns an N91 no matter if this model exists or not!). well, he once told me (when he saw me with my corrado) that a friend of his ( :roll: ) had a Corrado German Special Edition with some 345's tyres and 350HP, V8 engine... and that all these came OEM :lol: :lol: :lol:

The best you can do, is to make their lies grow, grow grow grow... the more they grow, the funnier it becomes :norty:

LOL, yeah, I think we all know a compulsive liar like that :lol:

It's always the people with a little bit of knowledge in a given subject who try and come across as an expert to try and impress people. I get that in IT a lot. Such as the insurance advisor who left the firm where I once worked as a support analyst and became an IT anaylst himself for a rival insurance company. He clearly fooled the interviewer with his BS as he knew jack about computers.

Anyway, 4 or 5 of us were sat at a table in a pub one night and he explained to us about the tape robots in his new employer's comms room.

This is 100% true....he said they walked around the comms room with flashing lights on their heads and he was called out at 3 in the morning because one had "fallen over and couldn't get back up again". He arrived and it was flapping it's arms and legs like a beetle with steam coming out of it.

Well, you can imagine the rest of us kicking eachother's feet under the table, trying our hardest not to burst out laughing!! He was dead serious aswell.

For those who don't know, a 'Tape Robot' is merely a large cabinet full of computer tapes and a little arm automatically slides along on rails and swaps the tapes around according to a back-up schedule. He knew we didn't have a tape library, so thought he could hoodwink us with BS stories about things that don't exist. He'd obviously heard a colleague saying something had "fallen over", whichy is clearly a common phrase for a computer crash, and then fabricated a story around it.

And irony of it is he's earning a bloody fortune in the city now as an IT consultant :cuckoo: He's living proof that Bullschitt gets you further in life that honesty!

small garage mechanics are even worse over here in ireland

you could be the head technician in bmw and they will still argue that they are right about something completely stupid, which means you have to take them out and prove them wrong which is always worth it for the look on their face and the fact that they will never argue with you again :D

i was once told by someone supposedly very knowledgeable about cars :lol: that coilovers were for posers and that my car would handle better on factory suspension :cuckoo: . i soon had him running home to his mommy mumbling you were right, but not before he tried to accuse me of witch craft.

It's always the people with a little bit of knowledge in a given subject who try and come across as an expert to try and impress people. I get that in IT a lot. Such as the insurance advisor who left the firm where I once worked as a support analyst and became an IT anaylst himself for a rival insurance company. He clearly fooled the interviewer with his BS as he knew jack about computers.

Anyway, 4 or 5 of us were sat at a table in a pub one night and he explained to us about the tape robots in his new employer's comms room.

This is 100% true....he said they walked around the comms room with flashing lights on their heads and he was called out at 3 in the morning because one had "fallen over and couldn't get back up again". He arrived and it was flapping it's arms and legs like a beetle with steam coming out of it.

Well, you can imagine the rest of us kicking eachother's feet under the table, trying our hardest not to burst out laughing!! He was dead serious aswell.

For those who don't know, a 'Tape Robot' is merely a large cabinet full of computer tapes and a little arm automatically slides along on rails and swaps the tapes around according to a back-up schedule. He knew we didn't have a tape library, so thought he could hoodwink us with BS stories about things that don't exist. He'd obviously heard a colleague saying something had "fallen over", whichy is clearly a common phrase for a computer crash, and then fabricated a story around it.

And irony of it is he's earning a bloody fortune in the city now as an IT consultant :cuckoo: He's living proof that Bullschitt gets you further in life that honesty!

HAHAHA! that is great!

We have a tape lib in our comms room... i'm going to have a good look at that lil robot! i don't trust it! it's going to jump out of it's library cage and have midnight comms room partys with the servers!

:shock:

Scary... I thought I'd heard it all but that's a story to end all stories! Pretty sure our tape robot doesn't look like something out of Futurama though it did lose its calibration a while back and was selecting tapes and putting them back into imaginary slots - so just moving to an empty part of the cabinet and letting the tape fall to the floor. Not ideal given the price of LTO media :) The robot was given a stern talking to.... ;)

I had the pleasure of owning a 53 Plate focus TDCi Sport, and our family has had 3 focus' (albeit estates) from new, and I have to say, for the money not much new metal handles better today.

However.

My 'rado when it's running right leaves me with a grin from ear to ear. It might not do the 50+mpg that my focus did, or have parts as cheap, or be able to take 2 prams and some luggage, but it's a completely different type of car. But given the chance some people would compare a Honda Cup with a Harley VTwin and a Yamaha R1 and a Potato given half a chance to.

Y'know pub talk is often great fun, but if some know-it-all started condescending me in the way he did I'd just tell him to stop.

And if he carries on, say something "you know you really irritate me" and just walk off. He might be a dickhead but you don't have to go along with it.

And many mechanics talk a much better game than they actually play you know.

There is some prize p-enis' about, thats why i find it amusing to let them talk and listen to what they have to come out with but he really got on my tits last night. Also was banging on about wheels and those things on mine wouldn't do it any favours due to unsprung weight, till i pointed out that they wre O.Z racing alloys, one of the lightest on the market

AJ

HAHAHA! that is great!

We have a tape lib in our comms room... i'm going to have a good look at that lil robot! i don't trust it! it's going to jump out of it's library cage and have midnight comms room partys with the servers!

LMFAO!!! :lol: Ah mate that is absolutely class :lol:

I know someone who talks with confidence about something he knows fack all about. Hes one of those people that could tell you the exact bhp, torque, price and weight of a car yet not even know how to open a bonnet. Was having an argument about how his (bought not built) civic ek with type r engine conversion was better than mr VR and only has 30ft/lbs less torque than my VR which wouldn't really make much difference, i thought about continuing on with the argument but responded with... tell you what, we'll have a tug of war.

One moment that really comes to mind was when we decided to go to a jap car show and wandered over to a very high powered skyline or something, after peering into the bay for a second he says confidently... look at the size of that supercharger! whilst trying to stop myself bursting out in laughter, a guy next to him said... "mate, thats an alternator" :lol:

Scary... I thought I'd heard it all but that's a story to end all stories! Pretty sure our tape robot doesn't look like something out of Futurama though it did lose its calibration a while back and was selecting tapes and putting them back into imaginary slots - so just moving to an empty part of the cabinet and letting the tape fall to the floor. Not ideal given the price of LTO media :) The robot was given a stern talking to.... ;)

He was unbelievable mate. A real manure production line if ever I saw one.

This is probably one of his best ones. He told us his girlfriend started crying on him during sex once, which he proudly proclaimed was down to his d1ck being too big.....but we later found out through some mutual girl-friends that it was because she regretted going out with him and was in emotional turmoil about ending it and he was actually a bit of an acorn c0ck in the trouser department. :lol:

I feel a new thread coming on...."Tell us your favourite bullschitt stories" :lol:

The saddest thing was his stories kept changing because he used to forget who we told what, and when. What a guy :lol:

Anyway, yeah the tapes are a right pain. Ours do a similar thing but we're trying to cost benefit an EMC disk strategy at the moment, but the cost is :shock:

One moment that really comes to mind was when we decided to go to a jap car show and wandered over to a very high powered skyline or something, after peering into the bay for a second he says confidently... look at the size of that supercharger! whilst trying to stop myself bursting out in laughter, a guy next to him said... "mate, thats an alternator" :lol:

:lol:

I feel a new thread coming on...."Tell us your favourite bullschitt stories" :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=95723

The saddest thing was his stories kept changing because he used to forget who we told what, and when. What a guy :lol:

I have a m8 like this :roll: , you have to have a really good memory if you're going to talk sh1t :)