Kevin Bacon

The Baconator's latest victim

wtf is going on around here :suprised:

how you doing kev, car is looking great

It's sold mate lol

Yeah the old girl has gone to a very decent chap who I know will look after it as well as I did :D

I just felt ready for a change but I'm not leaving the forum though. Who knows, I may even end up getting another one some day. Seems to be the way with Corrados doesn't it!

Yeah the old girl has gone to a very decent chap who I know will look after it as well as I did :D

I just felt ready for a change but I'm not leaving the forum though. Who knows, I may even end up getting another one some day. Seems to be the way with Corrados doesn't it!

I didn't see that coming. What has/will replace the Corrado?

Not you as well Fanjita :lol:

I haven't really thought about a replacement yet. I am really keen on simple cars though. A lot of modern cars appeal but home mechanics just can't do anything on them and modern VAGs in particular, just have so many faults that only expensive dealer trips can put right. What I loved about the Corrado was it's simple and robust engineering which made it a very easy car to work on.

I have got ideas of a MK2 Golf with a TFSI conversion swimming around my head at the moment, but I know what I'm like. What will start out as a simple engine swap will turn into something crazy (and expensive!) :D

What I also liked about the Corrado was it's size. It's tiny, meaning placing it on the road was easy. It fits in garages easily. It fits in car park spaces easily. I was looking at M5s, RS4s etc, all the usual stuff...and they are big, heavy tanks that won't fit in my garage, won't be as nimble on the B roads and won't be easy to park etc etc.

So a MK2 with a fully modernised chassis and a modern engine in it will probably fit the bill quite nicely :D

If I do go down this route, it has to be the best MK2 money can buy. I can't be arsed with rust any more!

That'd be pretty awesome - I love the 2.0 TFSI engine in my Octavia VRS. I can only imagine how much of a riot it would be with some fettling, and then shoved into a significantly lighter car! Total animal :)

Shame to see the car go Kev, but happy to see it sold so quickly! The buyer got a heck of a lot of car for the money.

Did I see that you were thinking of Z3M coupes? If you can, find one with the later S54 engined ones as it's the one in the E46 M3. A design masterpiece I'm sure you'll agree!

My mk4 and my other half's Leon Cupra R are bad enough to work on, not because of electronics, but due to lack of space. The Corrado is a joy to work on in comparison. Luckily the Leon is being replaced by an Audi A4 company car, so that's one less car I need to worry about. The Audi will have the 2.0 TFSI engine, so also I'll get a chance to experience that for myself :)

At the moment the only thing that I would consider as a replacement for my Corrado would be a Porsche 964 or possibly a 993. I cannot afford either of those, so the Rado is safe. To be honest I have sold my Rado once, and bought it back, and will not ever consider doing that again. Mine's a keeper.

There's no way I could go back to a MK1 again../.But MK1 and 2 Golfs, no chance :D

9 days later..

I have got ideas of a MK2 Golf

We're of the same stock. :lol:

Must admit I'm a bit surprised you've sold up Kev, but I suppose it's fair enough after so long and so much playing around with it, you were bound to get bored. But what I don't get, is the thoughts of going to a Mk2, same as Tom, I've had a couple and they were O.K but certainly no where near as good a car as the Corrado is in just about every aspect, it seems like a backwards step in many ways.

Anyway, congrats on your sale and well done/thanks for all the input you've given - you may have trodden on a few toes over the years with your 'if you don't like it, fork off' attitude, but there aren't many people who have given so much info and put so much time and money into R&D as far as Corrados are concerned, and the info/knowledge that you've documented will continue to help owners keep their rado's on the road for a long time I reckon, so nice one! :asslick:

If you dont like rust I wouldnt touch a Mk2!!! If youre going that old get a Mk1 or even a Mk1 Scirocco. How about a Mk1 elise with 1.8T or even R32 it? I like the idea of a 964 as well.

Reliant Scimitar! You can get ones with new chassis for not a lot. I loved mine, very much the same spirit as the Corrado and RWD. haha, will watch with interest.

Im surprised with the Mk2 comment as you have always said, quite rightly, they are so basic and the driving position is very upright compared to a Rado..

I love Mk2s and so does everyone who is selling them, the prices have gone stupid if you ask me...

Soory that you sold your Corrado, but of course it's okay to move on. I've had a Mk. II for many years, and mine was one of the first ever produced Mk. II from 1983. Never had any rust at all ever. Now it's 29 years.

I've only seen rusty Mk I, III, IV and scirocco's. Of course there are nice ones too.

Personally i'd go for an old type Lotus Esprit. Even lower, even more unstable, but even more fun to drive. But parts are easy to get and plentiful and dirt cheap compared to my local vw dealer. Daily is a bicycle ;)

Good luck.

Cheers,

Redfox.

I have got ideas of a MK2 Golf with a TFSI conversion

Lol, stop mucking about Kev; get the house sorted, get the Rado back and let's see a V8 4.2FSI conversion! You know you're not going to be happy with anything you can't re-engineer every 6 months....

Mark

I think the MK2 idea appealed to my desire for tinkering and simple engineering, but there's nothing definite in my mind at the moment. The Honda S2000 & Z3M Coupe are the strongest contenders at the moment. And yep, I will be aiming for the S54 engined one if it's the car I decide on :D

you may have trodden on a few toes over the years with your 'if you don't like it, fork off' attitude,

Haha, well you're clearly one of them then if you've had to mention that ;) I may vehemently argue my point, yes, but I don't set out to deliberately upset or antagonise people :D

well you're clearly one of them then if you've had to mention that

Absolutely not! that wasn't what I was getting at :lol:

wow - i log back onto the forum after quite sometime away and you've bloody sold up!!!

certainly didn't see that one coming matey...

hope all is well with you as always buddy.

as an aside - my M5 has literally just gone up for sale if you're still car hunting...

;)

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

wow - i log back onto the forum after quite sometime away and you've bloody sold up!!!

certainly didn't see that one coming matey...

hope all is well with you as always buddy.

as an aside - my M5 has literally just gone up for sale if you're still car hunting...

;)

(oh and by the way - to echo the comments of others; thanks VERY much for all the time and effort you've gone to with documenting everything on here - ome great descisions on my corrado wouldn't have been made without your input at the time :) )

Not yet! I haven't really been looking tbh as I need to shift the house first. Looks like I might be completing end of the month, so I need to find somewhere quick sharp!

And then this is a very tempting option....

my M5 has literally just gone up for sale if you're still car hunting...

;)

Your M5 has always been hanging around in the back of my mind for years :lol:

Given the work he's done to it mate, it's a really good price... and in your budget ;)

I'm very indecisive when it comes to cars! Have considered: Z3M Coupe, Integra DC5, S2000, M5 (E34 and E39), R32, Civic Type R, Impreza, loads of things! Reading forums, every one of them has caveats / issues. It's a case of choosing one which has the fewest!

I'm very indecisive when it comes to cars! Have considered: Z3M Coupe, Integra DC5, S2000, M5 (E34 and E39), R32, Civic Type R, Impreza, loads of things! Reading forums, every one of them has caveats / issues. It's a case of choosing one which has the fewest!

E46 M3 has to be in there! (not that I'm biased...)