Kevin Bacon

The Baconator's latest victim

Looking good Kev, was tempted with one of these the other week, nice motors. Need a good daily for the winter, the van just ain't cutting it at the mo!

BTW the old girl is still going strong a testament to your hard work, only things gone wrong have been niggly electrical issues all relay related.

Which if you don't mind me hijacking the thread for one question... on the aux water pump there is a relay which is controlled by the ECU, pin 48, if I'm not mistaken. What tells the ECU to turn this relay on? Tried looking for a pin out for the ME7 lots of conflicting information.

Found some pics of the old Rado......god I miss it! When I've finished getting the Eddy to where I want it, I need another Corrado VRT in my life.

36590230530_f64cee4919_b.jpg

36847087301_3e4479843a_b.jpg

36847086721_d8b97d5415_b.jpg

36590230700_1955fd4564_z.jpg

36847087411_333bf6f164_b.jpg

36590230810_159f1d6df9_b.jpg

36816229952_f1d47fced6_b.jpg

36847086781_8ed8de3d25_b.jpg

36590230920_51d3c4bef3_b.jpg

36847086871_9928f44c4e_b.jpg

36847086871_9928f44c4e_b.jpg

Dusty AP Racing brakes!! They were epic.

36847087001_eef5f9834c_b.jpg

36178738733_af3eb4a475_b.jpg

36590231230_6a32d96859_b.jpg

36178739003_1cd4f99627_b.jpg

Bonkers fast VR6 Turbo, yummy yum!

36799699956_1b79e9d065_b.jpg

Not so quick R32 conversion, but still fun!

36816229682_31d8f25aa2_b.jpg

Showing my girl some love. You gotta really.

36847087061_2fc4012e36_b.jpg

Looks great d the Edition 30 is definitely the one to have. I miss having mine (sodding divorce ), but such a great tuneable piece of kit.

The accelerator on it makes you smile.

Congratulations on a great car

Cressa

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks mate! Damn divorces huh! Hopefully you can get into another one soon!

If I cant find a nice 911 in the next month or so Im going for one of these. As you say theres just something about them.

I haven't embraced 911s yet, but I feel a 997 could be on the horizon. ED30s are just epic. Stick some Ohlins on it, a TTE420 turbo mapped by Vince, a gripper diff and there won't be a lot on the road that can hand it it's arse!

Looking good Kev, was tempted with one of these the other week, nice motors. Need a good daily for the winter, the van just ain't cutting it at the mo!

BTW the old girl is still going strong a testament to your hard work, only things gone wrong have been niggly electrical issues all relay related.

Which if you don't mind me hijacking the thread for one question... on the aux water pump there is a relay which is controlled by the ECU, pin 48, if I'm not mistaken. What tells the ECU to turn this relay on? Tried looking for a pin out for the ME7 lots of conflicting information.

Thanks buddy. There were a few things I wanted to tidy/neaten up on the old girl wiring wise, but due to a split with the missus, I needed to move her on. I'm glad it's still going well!

From memory the ECU commanded the fan controller (is that even still fitted? I can't remember!) to leave the aux pump running after shut down, and also toggled it on when the engine was running. I went through all that wiring with Vince at Stealth because I couldn't get my head around it at the time. Is it not working at the moment? AFAIK, the ECU ran it after 80 degrees water temp or something, I wish I could remember, sorry!

Happy to lend a hand with anything on it if you get stuck.

That's a very nice Mk5 Kev, especially those Ohlins, you must be chuffed with them! If only they made them for the Corrado eh! I always liked your Corrado too, especially the way you did your 3.2 conversion, I was a kicking myself a bit when I saw how you had done your airbox! I think your car is definitely a forum classic, especially with the RX on it.

Always remember you popping over to help with the fitting of my AP's and taking your VRT out for a spin. So blindingly quick and well sorted. It's a car that I've always wished mine could be.

Also a big fan of the Edition 30. Great cars but hard to find a good unmolested one these days.

Ever think you'll come back to the Corrado fold mate?

Lovely car and as always love what you do to them. Similar plan of action for my newly acquired VR6.

And to answer your question on what we're all driving now, my daily driver is a 2011 Skoda Octavia VRS estate TDI in Racing Blue. Such a great car to drive. 170bhp and plenty of torque so fast enough to keep me entertained and also great on fuel. plus the handling is incredible. Gone round some corners at speeds I was surprised by and it just stuck to the ground.

Awesome. I've been tempted to get another project car, and have looked into these

Replaced my VRT with a diesel :lol: I believe it's just me getting old

Had my MK5 ED30 for over 5 years now lovely looking car smooth etc, just a little boring to drive compared to the Corrado to be honest (Yes it's very fast), but speed it's not everything. I feel the issue with the MK5 is its to refined and has little soul.

Would I sell the ED30 I have thought about it many times, but never have and I doubt I will any time soon. :)

Cheers for the kind words guys :) I always did like the friendliness, support and encouragement of this forum :thumbleft:

I have to agree, the BBS RX was the best looking wheel I think. The R32 conversion was the most challenging thing to get right. Modern electronics can be a real headache, and back at you Kip, I always admired your attention to detail on your wiring and using the OEM cats :salute:

Yeah the Ohlins have transformed the car! They only recently made the jump into the road car market, and have a very limited range currently, but hopefully in time they will extend it to the MK2 platform, which will make it usable on the Corrado. Their Dual Flow valve dampers are unreal, a posher version of Koni's FSD, but way more effective. The best analogy I can come up with is they feed back the shape and surface of the road a lot better, but filter out the texture. It's like a steam roller is just ahead of you, flattening the tarmac. Incredible how all the annoying little lumps and bumps get filtered out, whilst maintaining Go-kart stiffness. You don't even feel cats eyes. It's really surreal after years of crashy, harsh suspension! It's like it's pressing the Sport/Normal button for you automatically.

Good to see more MK5 owners, and a VRS owner :smug: Stay away from MK7s if you think the 5 is too refined :lol: I totally understand that feeling though, but for me the MK5 doesn't feel too refined. There's bugger all sound deadening in the back, it's noisy and quite coarse at times......just like the Corrado :) Personally I just like a gear stick, a steering wheel and 3 pedals and that's pretty much a MK5. There's nothing I consider too modern or complicated about it. I really can't be doing with all these OLED dashboards, buttons everywhere and soft close doors and boots etc, meh. Just more stuff to go wrong.

Haha, yeah Mic, I remember that brake fitting day at yours and your little "Whoa" when I stuck my foot down :lol: It was pretty brisk the old VRT!! I still miss the silliness of it's acceleration!

ED30s certainly are falling into the wrong hands now. Original, unmodified ones are like hens teeth. There will definitely be another Corrado in my life at some point. Need to get back into a house with a garage first though!

Interested to know your thoughts on the Mk4 R32 you had. I know the Ed30 would walk away from it but Im thinking of alternatives that have the right noise and handle relatively okay with a little practicality and was also thinking about Mk4 R32's. Don't need outright speed as I still have the RS4. Just something that sounds nice and wont loose any money over the next 6-12 months.

Lovely car and as always love what you do to them. Similar plan of action for my newly acquired VR6.

And to answer your question on what we're all driving now, my daily driver is a 2011 Skoda Octavia VRS estate TDI in Racing Blue. Such a great car to drive. 170bhp and plenty of torque so fast enough to keep me entertained and also great on fuel. plus the handling is incredible. Gone round some corners at speeds I was surprised by and it just stuck to the ground.

I have the same model and I was going to sell it within a month of buying. I decided to have it remapped and it's a completely different car, more torque, Power and better MPG. 25K later and all is good. No VAG recalls for me thanks.

I was thinking of doing a MK5 R32 exhaust conversion as that just looks awesome and would add to the looks of already great looker, but can't make my mind up whether to keep it stock!

Hey Kev

What number of the production line is your's?

Mines 1673.

Edited by Dogma

Interested to know your thoughts on the Mk4 R32 you had. I know the Ed30 would walk away from it but Im thinking of alternatives that have the right noise and handle relatively okay with a little practicality and was also thinking about Mk4 R32's. Don't need outright speed as I still have the RS4. Just something that sounds nice and wont loose any money over the next 6-12 months.

There were too many things about that car that frustrated me. Great looking car and has all the ingredients for something special, but final dish just wasn't as tasty as it could have been. The bodyshell is woefully floppy, so the standard Bilstein/H&R suspension couldn't do it's thing effectively. Instead it was crashy and unrefined. The same setup on the MK5 is a million times better because it's foundations are considerably stiffer. And there was the droney exhaust, which gets really irritating. Aftermarket exhaust are even worse. The seats whilst comfy are creaky and noisy and the leather sags. The Xenons wobbled over bumps, the gearbox isn't great and if all that wasn't bad enough, it was just slooooooooow. Every boy racer in the land wants to race you, and you lose most of the time.

If you just want some fun for a year, I'd get the MK5 DSG personally. The MK4 has the potential to be a classic, but not for some time yet as the MK4 platform was never universally praised, however, minty fresh examples are on the rise.

Hey Kev

What number of the production line is your's?

Mines 1673.

907 I think, quite an early one :)

That said, previous owners Revo Stage 1 and 2'd it, plus what I've been doing to it, and at 114K miles, I'm still getting 14 bar compression across all 4 cylinders :) They are 14-15 bar new!

I have the same model and I was going to sell it within a month of buying. I decided to have it remapped and it's a completely different car, more torque, Power and better MPG. 25K later and all is good. No VAG recalls for me thanks.

No recalls for me either and I picked mine up with only 34k miles on it from a Skoda main dealer.

Been thinking of getting it mapped to make it even more fun to drive

Nice one cheers :)

14 bar wow very nice

I got 54K Miles on mine had 35K on the clock when I got it and its all standard. I don't do a lot of miles per year, as it mostly stays in the garage. Just like the Corrado LOL