davidwort

aftermarket LED daytime running lights, Y/N?

would you fit aftermarket LED running lights at the front?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. would you fit aftermarket LED running lights at the front?

I considered this, was gonna rebuild my fog, indicators into one using smd's and leds for light and have drl's along the bottom edge of the unit.

the audi style lights?

i thought about this before but with the intention of making the amount of light which comes from the headlight that bit greater as they are really really poo on the own.

run them on the inside of the bottom of the headlight, i recon it could look alright if done properly and i dont think it would be a big job either. but TBH im pretty lazy so dont think i would get round to doing it.

guessing this has not been done yet so for everyone to be so negative is a little harsh. once its been done and looks poo then slag it off! :)

I tried it out in my lights a while back but wasnt sure and took them out again. May refit them but reduce the space between each LED first. :shrug:

DSCF1067.jpg

not too sure, I think the audi drl formation is hard to beat although if done properly can look good on some cars

Think if I had to have them, I'd do something similarly understated to the Octavia ones- maybe in the fog recess.

Worst oem ones by a mile have to be the new Range Rover ones - well and truly look like some chav has got in there with some Christmas tree lights. Cheapens the whole appearance of what should be a prestige marque :gag:

The only way it would look good is if you took the existing headlight clusters out, then placed a home-made front grill (about 3 standard grills fused together), across the whole front of the car, then slip the led's in the gaps. :scratch:

The only way it would look good is if you took the existing headlight clusters out, then placed a home-made front grill (about 3 standard grills fused together), across the whole front of the car, then slip the led's in the gaps. :scratch:

what about an L shaped strip of led's on the lower and outer edge of the indicators???

maybe sommat like this.. sorry, bad photoshop skills. but you get the idea.daytime running light idea.JPG[/attachment:24ohpq35]

i really like the idea but i cant see any way really of making it look good , its an old car ld styling this is just too modern for it ive thought about loads of different ways and i just cant see it looking any good with out screaming cheap nasty mod.....

what would it look like if the strip was along the bottom again but then very slightly kicked up between the main and spot ?? probably crap still but id like to have a look....

Think the only way running lights work on the Corrado is to have the US style running lights on the side of the bumper..

eurp_0706_15_z+parts4vw_anniversary_party+volkswagen_corrado.jpg

Definitely a No No!!!

Definitely bling that wouldn't really suit Rado's and maybe even a bit chavy in my opinion.

Clarkson put it best when he said the R8s lights looked like a council estate at christmas :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, I do like that quote :) :)

Just wondering about modifying the foglights to take a set of these instead? The main issues are the strength and dispersion of the light though and of course some way in which to actually fit them behind the lens without looking like a light string has been thrown in there!

Mmmmm, jury is out on this one. I've of let my thoughts wander into the issue of fitting DRL's onto Corrado but never been able see how it could ever blend with our cars. It just seems to be a wrong move and not in keeping with the Corrado styling and era. However, I'm open minded always on the issue of modification, and just because I can't work it out it doesn't mean it can't be made to work out?

I'm not a fan of add-on DRL's to older cars to be honest, as mentioned they just don't suit. How about just driving around with your side/headlights on?

If it's purely for a style thing, not safety, then it's down to personal preference, if you like them, go for it (in a tasteful manner of course! :cool:)

Agreed on their fitment as drls - I too think its not fitting with the period of the car.

If anyone has a broken set of fogs they could part with I'll buy a set of some drls to see how to graft them in.

I think I wasn't that clear in my initial question - its more to see if the light from DRLs is sufficient to be used in the foglights. Unless there are specific ultra high intensity LED replacements for the stock foglight bulbs?

Edited by fla

On a similar thread, I am looking at trying to fit Audi A1 wing mirrors to the C so I can use the them as side repeaters.

I also started looking at adding LED strips into the Corrado wing mirrors. That was when I found some White/Yellow 12V strips with switch back meaning they could be used as DRL in the mirrors switching off to operate as repeaters when required.

Lights touch paper and steps back