16VG60

JMR 16VG60 Corrado

Hi all, have been on this forum since its beginning but have never had a great amount of time to allow the levels of participation that others achieve. As an upshot of that my car is probably relatively unknown, so here's a short introduction. Have been a Corrado owner since 1993 when i bought my G60. Back then it was a one owner car with 19K miles on the clock and one of the first right hand drive G60's in the UK. In those days it was an "H" plate and completely stock. I bought it from a salvage yard, as G60's in those days were out of my reach finacially. The damage she had was of little actual consequence, but because of stupidly expensive genuine parts it was written off. I sourced a bonnet, wing, front panel and headlight, and after one week at a mates bodyshop she was A1 again. If it had been a Ford "whatever" there would have been no quibble over a repair on insurance, but i was not complaining as i was running around in a two year old supercharged coupe well before my time :D .

Since those days my Corrado has metamorphosed into the 16VG60 beastie you see in the pics, and allong the way has been subject to a series of modifications as and how the mood took me. I have never owned a standard car, well not for very long anyway, and this was certainly no exception. Much to my long suffering Wife's dismay, the first mods were going on within one month of getting it back from the bodyshop. This was after telling her "i would be very happy with it supercharged alla VAG" :nono: . Whilst i appreciate that modified cars are not to everyones taste, and i can sense the purists boiling allready :shock: , I didn't build this car for any other than myself. That having been said it's allways nice to receive recognition for ones hard work, and I allways appreciate the virtues of well cared for unfettered machines. The only problem i have is that i can't leave 'em allone, i get bored and have to play :norty: . I love tyhe timeless styling of the Corrado and even more how they respond to the loving attention of a die hard petrolhead. I think this one will become a familly heirloom, cos i'm not selling her.

Spec: JMR 16VG60, JMR S5 Charger, Audi RS2 intercooler, Audi RS6 oil cooler, JMR custom alloy radiator, Custom Milltek twin rear tailpipe decated big bore system, Millted/JMR 4 into 1 manifold, JMR crank breather system, SWG twin intake, JMR S2 inlet manifold, Nology HT leads & Coil, CTN Gears, Quaife LSD, Lightened flywheel & Uprated Clutch, B&M quickshift, Brembo 4 Pot front with 304mm discs & bells, JMR 280mm rear brakle conversion, KW Clubsport suspension kit inc' alloy top mounts, Brock alloys, Carbonfibre Roof, Carbon Fibre Bonnet, Carbon Fibre rear spoiler, Carbon GT3 seats, Weichers cage and rear strut brace and so on ---- see the pics.

Nicely done 8)

Whilst i appreciate that modified cars are not to everyones taste, and i can sense the purists boiling allready :shock: , I didn't build this car for any other than myself. That having been said it's allways nice to receive recognition for ones hard work, and I allways appreciate the virtues of well cared for unfettered machines. The only problem i have is that i can't leave 'em allone, i get bored and have to play :norty: .

My sentiments exactly!

I think people would be especially interested in your rear brake conversion, if just to get rid of the fickle taper bearings 8)

That is lovely mate, used to have a pair of them seats in my old g60. Are they the real recaro ones or just copies? Mine were just the copies but nice seats none the less.

Nice to see a truly great car getting some coverage - the car and the man behind it were my inspiration for five great years of Corrado ownership :D

Nice raddo, good work, like the exhaust, had same in my 20vt many years ago and to be honest would do it exactly once again

foto006n.jpg

One hell of a machine, really special car and engine.

Do you still have a link to that awesome sounding video of it leaving a pub car park somewhere?!

great spec and great story to go with it.. not my style but definately appreciate it! and a carbon roof you nutter!

wow, very nice motor.

what does it go like? any rr figures?

only thing i can say i dont like on it is the steering wheel, but each to there own :D

Thanks for the compliments guys great to receive such a warm response.

aide, sadly the link you refer to is lost to me, but am making enquiries to possibly reprint the footage, as it was a mate of mine that made the original recording.

big ben, CF roof just had to be done with a weight reduction of another 27kg and no more pointless sunroof. "nutter" deffinately, especially when on a mission to improve power to weight ratio. CF under tension every bit as strong as steel, roll cage fitted just in case she does become inverted!

Mimjed, still running in the new engine which I fitted on Nov 4th, so no rolling road stats as yet. If the old engine is a base mark then this one is not going to dissapoint!

Cheers Bruny, my exhaust draws so much positive attention, and yet when i developed it years ago now alongside Milltek, we offered it out for our retail business as an upgrade and no takers :confused4: .

Hey just found that video of my car, albeit in a previous guise, departing the West Sussex Club GTI meet at The Fox pub in Patching. It is a short clip filmed by my mate John Wintle, and at the time served purely to amuse. Watching this after so many years has shown me how much my Corrado has changed, might even film a re-run with the car in current spec :norty: :lol:

Looking good John, hadn't realised you had run down the carbon fibre route so heavily!

How are you finding the new ratios?

Hi Yan,

yes mate a full on carbon fibre addict now, and am seeking to duplicate as many panels as i can to better the power to weight ratio. Trying to resist fitting a turbo and keep her G lader powered, so weight loss will help the fun factor.

The gear ratios are great, for that which i have experienced. Have not really wound her up yet, as am running in the new mill, but the drive is much changed for the better and it promisses to have made a significant improvement. I hope to be able to get more running time in before the tax expires at the end of December and hibernation season comes round again :sleeping:

glad its finished jon, truely is a work of art.. am still yet to see the finished roof as im sure you'll understand im v interested to see my shell was properly used for..

hope to see you soon.

Andy

Hi Andy thanks for providing the donor roof shell to make the mould for my carbon fibre roof, photos of my car never show the full detail on the carbon panels they tend to blend well with the Inca Blue bodywork. The part I like most about the roof panel is that we decided to modify the mould to delete the rubber roof strips, but to retain the channels that run down each side and make them slightly wider to compensate for the roof strip deletion. This helps panel rigidity, and affords the roof better cosmetic form. Your old non sunroof headlining I had repaired and recovered in black fabric, and it looks factory fit now along with black visors etc. Hope to see you at Goodwood on 5th December.

Thanks, and you yours. Long tome no see, will

I be seeing you at Goowood on 5th bud?

That exhaust is awesome bud, cars not too bad either lol.

Can i ask what route your right hand side tip takes? Did you have to do any major work to get it on?