Graphite

What parts for the corrado would you like in Carbon Fibre?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking into producing parts for our C's out of carbon fiber. I've been trying to think of smaller parts that are getting hard to find. I thought of starting this thread to see what you guys can think of.

So far I've thought of the rear number plate plinth, wing mirrors, front grills, interior hand brake tunnel trim, suspension strut caps and the small metal trim that surrounds the rear number plate light.

What I'd like to find out is what you guys would like to see made available and how much you would want to pay for them (no silly low prices please, I intent to make a high quality product here).

I do intend in the future to produce wings etc (seeing as performance trim has gone down the drain) but that will need a bit more experience with smaller parts first.

Cheers,

Troy.

As you said small parts first, how about the seat tilt handles (drivers side obsolete)passengers to follow. About £10-£15 does that sound reasonable ?

Thanks for the replies so far guys, interior door handles would be easy enough, the seat tilt handles would be a bit harder as you would have to find a way to fill the void and create a slot for the peg to go into but ill look into it.

I am very keen to make wings but the production cost in the moulds alone is probably around 2 to 300 quid so as a starting point is a bit risky.

Keep the ideas coming please guys!

I'd really like a front splitter, the 50mm deep one if it was possible!

The centre tunnel and any other little interior bits just to make the interior more modern feeling.

A bonnet would be nice as performance trim took my money and never supplied a bonnet. Bit big though to start.

Gear stick fairly surround? Got one in mine and it looks pretty good

The plastic surrounds to head light lenses might also be useful. I have to keep putting trim dressing on mine as they're pretty faded now.

Mark

The plastic surrounds to head light lenses might also be useful. I have to keep putting trim dressing on mine as they're pretty faded now.

Mark

spray them with flexible bumper paint

Spoonfedtuning already produce the rear spoiler, plate surround, front spoiler & a few other bits. No point making the same stuff IMO - you'd be better off making things that SFT don't already do. Wings would be nice, but there is already a feeler thread about those too. RHD interior trim perhaps?

Spoonfedtuning already produce the rear spoiler, plate surround, front spoiler & a few other bits. No point making the same stuff IMO - you'd be better off making things that SFT don't already do. Wings would be nice, but there is already a feeler thread about those too. RHD interior trim perhaps?

SFT only do an American style plate surround/plinth as far as I'm aware so no good for UK/Euro Market. Why not if I can potentially make the other parts, e.g. Spoilers etc for less money? Also as the original shape rather than the extended design that spoon fed do...

If you don't gain any benefit from the part being carbon ( weight, strength, no rust etc) you might as well buy real carbon blanket kits that come with the resins you need and wrap an existing part. Especially if its plastic, not worth making a mould of something light already. If you learn how to wrap properly, it would look awesome to the untrained eye. That's what I'm going to do. Think I'll have a go on a number plate plinth, nice and flat to learn on. Will be very satisfying to learn a new skill.I'm looking into having the late wings made from carbon as there is a gain in doing it as far as I see it.

Steering column surround to suit the fixed column modification

I have already thought of this and this is a part that I would like to produce in the very near future. I need to get my hands on an unbroken column surround first though! (if any one has one I will make you a CF one for free if I can borrow it to make the mould :p )

SFT do a euro plate holder !

I have one in c/f ! Very nice

Really, can't find it on their site? Link if you can give me one would be nice :)

If you don't gain any benefit from the part being carbon ( weight, strength, no rust etc) you might as well buy real carbon blanket kits that come with the resins you need and wrap an existing part. Especially if its plastic, not worth making a mould of something light already. If you learn how to wrap properly, it would look awesome to the untrained eye. That's what I'm going to do. Think I'll have a go on a number plate plinth, nice and flat to learn on. Will be very satisfying to learn a new skill.I'm looking into having the late wings made from carbon as there is a gain in doing it as far as I see it.

I am intending to make wings in the near future but I am practicing with smaller parts first. I am intending to purchase a resin vacuum infusion set up within the next few months... I saw your thread with regards to shipping the job out to china, it's a good idea but for those wanting the indicator holes deleted (as I do) its a no good option...

Also about wrapping, some of the plastic parts are getting harder to find as are some of the smaller more rust prone parts. The part supply shortage can be solved by making moulds and producing the parts from CF is the way I'm thinking. Its not just about the performance side.

Graphite, the fixed column conversion requires a different plastic cowling as the original no longer fits. The problem with producing this part is there is not a part to take a mould from.

However, I would love this part if it could be made.

I've got a passat cowl in mine, but it's not wide enough or long enough to cover all the gaps. Might have a look at making it fit properly though

I have an early fixed column cowl !

(spare) doesn't really help you Vr boys !

Edit:the bottom surround is the same on early and late, top only differs on the hazard light switch (size)

Edited by dragon green

Go to spoonfedtuning.com, then click onto products, it's there in all it's glory5adcda23-9935-fd0f.jpg

Available in fibreglass,c/f ,c/f&kevlar

Edited by dragon green

SFT only do an American style plate surround/plinth as far as I'm aware so no good for UK/Euro Market. Why not if I can potentially make the other parts, e.g. Spoilers etc for less money? Also as the original shape rather than the extended design that spoon fed do...

It occurs to me that there isn't a big enough market for identical products from two different suppliers like there would be for more modern / popular cars. If you both make different stuff then you both benefit whereas if you compete then you halve the potential sales for both of you.

Hi All,

I'm the other 'rado nut in this venture,

I do understand what you're saying in that by being another supplier for the same part we are essentially halving our ideal target market, but that isn't the aim of the game at all with this.

This started off the back of a doughnut crazed rant from both myself and Troy, in where we grumbled about the availability of Corrado parts in the UK. The intention was never to see what was already being produced and try and steal their market share at all or anything even along that vein. We're going into this venture because we both love our Cars, and appreciate that parts are getting rarer and rarer for it. Along the way we might end up producing the same part as another company, but one thing I always think is that competition is the mother of innovation.

In a lot of these cases we're going to be producing these parts because we need a replacement ourselves or there's a big enough want for us to create one. Ideally we want to be able to create pretty much every piece of trim on a Corrado! Bumpers, Grills, Grab Handles, Bonnets, sunroof trims and so on. It's not about grabbing 100% of the market, but doing something to keep these cars on the road at the end of the day.

While our main target base is going to be for the 'Rado (and who can blame us!) we will hopefully be able to expand on to other vehicle and bigger, more amazing pieces!

We're going to be trialling a few pieces in the near future, so you could all see some further development on this!

Alistair,

It occurs to me that there isn't a big enough market for identical products from two different suppliers like there would be for more modern / popular cars. If you both make different stuff then you both benefit whereas if you compete then you halve the potential sales for both of you.

Good point, well made.

Mark

Edited by MarkFoster

Sounds like you've got a good idea of where to take this, best of luck with it all. I may end up buying parts off you. When you get going with it, you have to do bonnets. I can't be shipping stuff like that around the world, you would be the only one in the UK making them, a nice position to be in from a business point of view for you. Bet setup is a killer cost wise! Keep us posted.